A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Air Leak Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Audiworld senior member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ltooz after you replaced the bag and the o-rings could you see some damage on the bags and may I ask how much km your car had done when you replaced the bag & o-rings? I am waiting on the o-rings and first want to do the bottom o-ring replacement before going to the whole job you did with your partner.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My oring failed with 141k miles. 9 years old. Bag still looked good and flexable.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by -Treser-
ltooz after you replaced the bag and the o-rings could you see some damage on the bags and may I ask how much km your car had done when you replaced the bag & o-rings? I am waiting on the o-rings and first want to do the bottom o-ring replacement before going to the whole job you did with your partner.
There's no damage sign on the old bag. It's been 3000 miles and almost a year, 11 mos to be exact. It's wasn't a slow leak. The o-rings as you can see they're good.
$200 and a few hours, worth the work. Like I said, chances for the ring to fix is slim but if you're lucky, kudos. Replace the big bottom one. The small one is the same work as replacing the bag. It's inevitable as they say when the time comes. I could investigate more, but for $200, wasn't worth my time and my wife didn't want to see the poor car broken.
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Audiworld senior member

Thanks a lot for the information guys regarding the wear & tear on the bags and o-rings. Tstealth32 yesterday I received your o-rings in New Zealand. When I find some time in the next weeks I replace the bottom o-ring and report back how it worked out.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:17 AM
Audiworld senior member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
There's no damage sign on the old bag. It's been 3000 miles and almost a year, 11 mos to be exact. It's wasn't a slow leak. The o-rings as you can see they're good.
$200 and a few hours, worth the work. Like I said, chances for the ring to fix is slim but if you're lucky, kudos. Replace the big bottom one. The small one is the same work as replacing the bag. It's inevitable as they say when the time comes. I could investigate more, but for $200, wasn't worth my time and my wife didn't want to see the poor car broken.
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
Hi ltooz I finally found some time to do the bottom o-ring but before taking the whole leg out of the car I tried again with soap after I had taken of the dust covers and discovered that the air leaks coming from inside the metal belly along the outside of the rubber airbag. So I skipped the o-ring replacement and need to go the route of a bag replacement. I followed your eBay link but that seller doesn't have the article anymore and already found a whole range of other sellers offering the "New Front Air Suspension Repair Kit For Audi A8 D3 4E 2002-2010 Air Shock Strut".
Now before I order one I remember that Arnot makes a difference for the Air shock strut for an A8 and a S8. Do I need to make sure for the airbag that it is also specifically made for an S8?
I am not sure about this as I understand the S8 has a sport air settings program. Maybe this has only influence on the strut itself since that is electrical controlled in stiffness and is there no difference in an airbag for an A8 & S8.

Last edited by -Treser-; 02-25-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by -Treser-
Hi ltooz I finally found some time to do the bottom o-ring but before taking the whole leg out of the car I tried again with soap after I had taken of the dust covers and discovered that the air leaks coming from inside the metal belly along the outside of the rubber airbag. So I skipped the o-ring replacement and need to go the route of a bag replacement. I followed your eBay link but that seller doesn't have the article anymore and already found a whole range of other sellers offering the "New Front Air Suspension Repair Kit For Audi A8 D3 4E 2002-2010 Air Shock Strut".
Now before I order one I remember that Arnot makes a difference for the Air shock strut for an A8 and a S8. Do I need to make sure for the airbag that it is also specifically made for an S8?
I am not sure about this as I understand the S8 has a sport air settings program. Maybe this has only influence on the strut itself since that is electrical controlled in stiffness and is there no difference in an airbag for an A8 & S8.
I may miss something after reading the suspension self study guides (3) many times like studying for finals, but I think I did well. My suspension is just like it was before after $200 bag replacement, and here is how I summarize what I've read about the air suspension:
1. The bag is only for heights and it's independent on suspension types: the heights are controlled by the controller using Valve Block and level sensors and G291 inside it.
2. The stiffness or softness on sports, non sports, and all selection are controlled by the controller through the eShock, hence if your eShock is good and replaced with UNKNOWN eShocks from complete strut rebuilt is playing Russian Roulette. Yes, buying the NEW air bag from China is also the same but follow the successful people having less chance to fail.
Here is what I think about fixing this air leak problem.
1. Replacing the rings hoping it will fix is 99.99% unsuccessful, a real desperate way of fixing it.
2. Replacing the whole strut with after market is asking for troubles, only replace with OEM.
3. Do it right or don't do it at all. Yes, I was lazy and planned to replace with the rebuilt whole strut, but after reading, my eShock was perfect only the bag leaked, the difference between bag and whole strut was only $200-400 but I preferred my eShock over someone else and I would do a better job putting thing back together - and it did, mine is as good as it was before. NO clunking, no noise, nothing.
Many people used the same vendor as mine and seem to dodge the bullet of having a defective one. They used to ship from CA, US but now shipped from Hong Kong and I believe they use the same manufacturer.
Only suggestion I would have for people with leaky struts is follow the people who were successfully done theirs and stay away from troubled ones - If you're too lazy to do it yourself, sell the car and stop doing half-*** job by replacing rebuilt or after market new units to save money.
How lucky are you in playing Russian Roulette?

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 02-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=ltooz_a6_a8_q7;25115780
1. Replacing the rings hoping it will fix is 99.99% unsuccessful, a real desperate way of fixing it.
[/QUOTE]

To be fair. I'm 2 for 2 on the orings. And about 30-40% of the people who have bought them have had success.

There are several things that can fail. I think all of them have an equal chance to fail.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

[quote=Tstealth32]
Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7;25115780
[/QUOTE

To be fair. I'm 2 for 2 on the orings. And about 30-40% of the people who have bought them have had success.

There are several things that can fail. I think all of them have an equal chance to fail.
I doubt if these rings fixed truly leaks with real bubbles air verification.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 02-28-2018, 06:53 PM
Audiworld senior member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I may miss something after reading the suspension self study guides (3) many times like studying for finals, but I think I did well. My suspension is just like it was before after $200 bag replacement, and here is how I summarize what I've read about the air suspension:
1. The bag is only for heights and it's independent on suspension types: the heights are controlled by the controller using Valve Block and level sensors and G291 inside it.
2. The stiffness or softness on sports, non sports, and all selection are controlled by the controller through the eShock, hence if your eShock is good and replaced with UNKNOWN eShocks from complete strut rebuilt is playing Russian Roulette. Yes, buying the NEW air bag from China is also the same but follow the successful people having less chance to fail.
Here is what I think about fixing this air leak problem.
2. Replacing the whole strut with after market is asking for troubles, only replace with OEM.
3. Do it right or don't do it at all. Yes, I was lazy and planned to replace with the rebuilt whole strut, but after reading, my eShock was perfect only the bag leaked, the difference between bag and whole strut was only $200-400 but I preferred my eShock over someone else and I would do a better job putting thing back together - and it did, mine is as good as it was before. NO clunking, no noise, nothing.
Many people used the same vendor as mine and seem to dodge the bullet of having a defective one. They used to ship from CA, US but now shipped from Hong Kong and I believe they use the same manufacturer.
Only suggestion I would have for people with leaky struts is follow the people who were successfully done theirs and stay away from troubled ones - If you're too lazy to do it yourself, sell the car and stop doing half-*** job by replacing rebuilt or after market new units to save money.
How lucky are you in playing Russian Roulette?

Cheers,
Louis
I found a bag from the same you bought yours from and will order one and let you know how mine worked out. Thanks for all your input and information about tools needed and I fully agree with everything you said and also like to be in control myself. https://www.ebay.com/itm/252978483780?_sp=p2488212.m41214.l9765&_trkparms=i temid%3A252978483780

Last edited by -Treser-; 03-18-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:58 AM
Audiworld senior member

Default Cheap eBay Air Shock Strut Air Suspension Repair Kit for the front exploded

​​​​​Unfortunately I have bad news for everyone watching for positive results with relation to the amazing cheap Audi A8 D3 4E Air Shock Strut Air Suspension Repair Kit for the Front offered on eBay for $190
Pretty quick I received the airbag and replaced my original one.
Drove it to town first day all fine.
Second day drove it to another next town and during mid driving coming down a hill slightly left steering the right air bag exploded. It was like someone shot a gun nearby from the bushes.
immediately the whole car sunk to the floor and driving home without hurting the car was a nightmare.
Same night took the wheel of and opened the dust cover to find out what had happen..

S8 after air bag explosion

The Audi A8 D3 4E Air Shock Strut Air Suspension Repair Kit -- Front from eBay installed on the original e-shock

Airspring dust cover ripped from the air explosion

after removing the dustcover the reason for the failure got visible, rubber airbag had came loose from crimp ring

rubber airbag came loose from bottom crimp ring

rubber airbag came loose from bottom crimp ring

for comparison original old air bag position lower crimp ring

In the meantime I ordered @ eBay 2 used & original complete airstruts for the S8, one from Germany and one from England. I am not going to risk anymore anything else then original material.
I had a similar problem before with the Allroad after the replacement of a complete Arnott air shock. With their lifetime warranty I received a new one and that one is still holding up fine for 6 months now.
But who wants to replace every time these air struts. Sure with the 2 used ones I can also run into the problem they start leaking one day but when doing the price comparison it's an easy choice now. NZ$1000 for 2 used original and complete air struts, or NZ$1500 for an Arnott or NZ$5800 for a new airstrut from Audi NZ. Sure I understand the $190 Chinese air bag sounds price wise the perfect solution but for me it unfortunately hasn't worked out so well. I admit our New Zealand roads aren't anything like most western world roads but let's be fair this shouldn't be happening.

Last edited by -Treser-; 03-24-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Air Leak Troubleshooting