A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension continued...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension continued...

After replacing battery, all codes went away except the air suspension. It works ok for a minute, then goes to limp mode and goes straight to "lift". From what I have read, it could be the compressor and relay. I'm checking the fuse next.

Are there measuring blocks to check the compressor holding pressure?

Is there an easy way to soap up the struts and look for leaks?

Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

You will hear any leaks if the car is in a closed garage. Usual failure mode of the WABCO compressor is one of the electric compressor motor magnets breaks free from the inside of the motor housing causing drag (poor output, so the electric motor stays running since air is being called for) which causes an overcurrent CONdition that eventually blows the fuse. Replacment fuse lasts for a couple of minutes and blows as well. You need to repair the compressor motor or replace the compressor.

Many others have experienced a relay failure. I have not so I can't offer any advice there.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Updates on suspension troubleshooting

Update to symptoms:
Yesterday drove down the street to the auto parts store and back. Suspension warning light never came on. Went to Walmart today, light came on after 2 miles. On the way back (4 miles), light never came on. If the fuse was blown, I would think the light would come on right away. If there is a slow leak somewhere, or the tank isn't holding pressure, mate this would explain. Could be relay going bad too.

I was digging around today looking for that pescy 40a fuse and relay for the suspension system and it where I thought it would be in the passenger side footwell under the carpet was the cruise control unit and no fuse.

Next place to look is under the steering wheel behind the dash. Anyone know how to remove safely? It's a 2007. I'm still looking for a way to use VAG com to detect location of problem and/or capability of compressor.

Its always interesting to see what you find when you are digging around. I'm missing a couple Of screws under the dash where the airbag is, leave it up to the dealer too to say "they'll never notice these are missing". Interior is in impeccable shape except for the broken armrest button, rear ashtray, and rear cup holder, all easy to fix.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a vag com? It will be much easier with it and to be able to read the error code/s. It may need just to reset the level control module.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, I have Ross Tech. I'm so used to the D2, not really sure where to start....

Originally Posted by IMD
Do you have a vag com? It will be much easier with it and to be able to read the error code/s. It may need just to reset the level control module.
I installed a new relay yesterday, how do I reset the level control module? Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to the main screen of the vag then box (34 -level control). Then the first box where it says fault codes and see which codes are then erase them.