A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Guru's - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posting a mov file?

How do I post a mov file? So you can hear the compressor noise.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The car sinks at the front in jacking mode. So you have a leak somewhere in the front. In order to locate that leak you should measure left and right level (from the top of the fender to the levelled ground) and see which side is sinking more. Spray can with water and some detergent can help. If it is air spring you might be lucky that sliming it will help. Search for it here. If not, it will be expensive.

Your compressor won’t stop working and your pressure is 6.84bar (should be 14+bar and it is system pressure. Struts are at the lower pressure depending on the load). You either have a huge leak that should be easy to find or the compressor is faulty (most likely). Could be caused by long lasting leak. Again, you might be lucky and be able to repair it. Search for that too. If not you have to replace it. Guys around did that recently.

Forget about level sensors for now. You will address it later if the code is still there.

Go and buy VagCom. It is a great tool and your car is growing older.

Unfortunately not driving her may last a little longer.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sound Clip of My Compressor

Here's the link to the compressor audio...

Old 05-08-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
The car sinks at the front in jacking mode. So you have a leak somewhere in the front. In order to locate that leak you should measure left and right level (from the top of the fender to the levelled ground) and see which side is sinking more. Spray can with water and some detergent can help. If it is air spring you might be lucky that sliming it will help. Search for it here. If not, it will be expensive.

Your compressor won’t stop working and your pressure is 6.84bar (should be 14+bar and it is system pressure. Struts are at the lower pressure depending on the load). You either have a huge leak that should be easy to find or the compressor is faulty (most likely). Could be caused by long lasting leak. Again, you might be lucky and be able to repair it. Search for that too. If not you have to replace it. Guys around did that recently.

Forget about level sensors for now. You will address it later if the code is still there.

Go and buy VagCom. It is a great tool and your car is growing older.

Unfortunately not driving her may last a little longer.
Many thanks mishar - I'll be busy over the coming week with work but will do the water / soap test on the struts.

Could you check the audio link above and tell me if you think this sounds like yours?

Cheers and thanks once again.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, given that I can't edit my posts...
Couple of points to note on the audio file above:
1. Car was in jacking mode and the front sank fully.
2. Started car and left for a couple of mins to pump up the struts - got no lift at all so killed the engine.
3. Grabbed phone, turned ignition on, put MMI into "lift".
4. As soon as car came out of 'sleep' mode, the compressor turned on. The recording is what you hear. The recording is taken from inside the engine bay, about 20cm (8inches) from the compressor.
Cheers
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AusA8
Here's the link to the compressor audio...

That`s way too loud for compressor, I first thought it`s the engine...
Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AusA8
Many thanks mishar - I'll be busy over the coming week with work but will do the water / soap test on the struts.

Could you check the audio link above and tell me if you think this sounds like yours?

Cheers and thanks once again.
Not sure that water/soap test will help much on the struts because what you see are just protective boots. The real spring boots are hidden inside. On the other hand, all that leaking air has to escape somewhere so you might detect it. First you have to fix your compressor in order to get pressure for testing. Just don't get carried away and start driving your car at that point. You will burn compressor again.

Regarding audio, I must say that I never herd my compressor, so it must be way quieter.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
Not sure that water/soap test will help much on the struts because what you see are just protective boots. The real spring boots are hidden inside. On the other hand, all that leaking air has to escape somewhere so you might detect it. First you have to fix your compressor in order to get pressure for testing. Just don't get carried away and start driving your car at that point. You will burn compressor again.

Regarding audio, I must say that I never herd my compressor, so it must be way quieter.
Your compressor sounds shot so maybe the leak air is leaking from the failed compressor, hence your problem. I would put a new compressor in and test it before going through the trouble of soap etc..
Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll start on the compressor then. Let the research begin for a replacement!

Can anyone vouch for this supplier?? -> http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...57_gid618.html
Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I cannot disagree on the physics involved but how do you suppose ride height is altered if not by variance in air pressure applied to the spring unit?

Quick Reply: Suspension Guru's - Please Help