A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telephony module bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Telephony module bad?

Hey all... It's been awhile since I've posted here but recently I'm having an issue with my phone. I have an 04 that's been retrofitted with the original Audi Bluetooth module which replaced the Onstar module.

Up until a week or so ago it worked fine. Then it didn't. The phone connects to bluetooth so I know that's active. The car also tries to take the call when someone calls. I have to switch my iPhone over to use the phone as the audio source. I get no audio from the car though and the phone screen constantly says "telephone connecting" on top. I get no signal strength and when I go to the phone setup menu I get an error... It says "error loading URL" and the URL it gives is "http://10.0.0.1/bluetooth/setup.html".

So, would I assume the phone module is bad or the bluetooth?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

While waiting for guys to kick in try another phone.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also check the antenna

Originally Posted by Mike_k
So, would I assume the phone module is bad or the bluetooth?
Possibly, but I would also check that all connections to the telephone module are tight, including the antenna. FYI, the BT telephone module is located under the driver's side footwell (on NA spec cars).
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 612 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Or, the Apple phone and iOS ...

ever since iOS 5, mine has worked like junk. Very flaky switching between speaker system and phone, and really doesn't want to answer calls or to release them when done.

Given many others' seemingly similar and overlapping experience--where the common tie seems to actually be iPhones--my bet is much more likely a substandard job by supposedly glorious Apple w/ phone interfaces and bluetooth recently.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My iPhone has the latest OS and works perfectly with A8 (knock on wood at least three times)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
My iPhone has the latest OS and works perfectly with A8 (knock on wood at least three times)
+1;

Every so often it will glitch and say connected but I won't hear anything. But yet again the iphone itself will have that same issue sometimes where it doesn't ring and just says connected, so you don't know if the call failed or if your on someone's voicemail.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
ever since iOS 5, mine has worked like junk. Very flaky switching between speaker system and phone, and really doesn't want to answer calls or to release them when done.

Given many others' seemingly similar and overlapping experience--where the common tie seems to actually be iPhones--my bet is much more likely a substandard job by supposedly glorious Apple w/ phone interfaces and bluetooth recently.
I haven't had any kind of issues and I've had my iPhone 4S for the better part of a year. A module is definitely not working. Otherwise I wouldn't be getting the error code. Other phones will pair but the telephone screen never gets past saying that the telephone is connecting.

So then two questions:

1. Is the bluetooth module separate from the telephony module? My Audi tech buddy said that they were two separate things which would make sense as the Bluetooth appears to be working on it's own.

2. There's a hidden MMI menu I can go into to check for each connected module but I don't remember the sequence to get in there. Anyone here remember?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

1. It is one module. From factory it would be under a drivers feet, but retrofitted it can be anywhere. Mine is in the trunk next to Navigation module.

2. Car + Setup for about five seconds.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_k
I haven't had any kind of issues and I've had my iPhone 4S for the better part of a year. A module is definitely not working. Otherwise I wouldn't be getting the error code. Other phones will pair but the telephone screen never gets past saying that the telephone is connecting.

So then two questions:

1. Is the bluetooth module separate from the telephony module? My Audi tech buddy said that they were two separate things which would make sense as the Bluetooth appears to be working on it's own.

2. There's a hidden MMI menu I can go into to check for each connected module but I don't remember the sequence to get in there. Anyone here remember?
I would think the best place to start would be running a scan and see if there are any errors being logged. If the bluetooth module itself is failing it should be apparent in your scan, also you may see errors on the CAN bus or optical bus. You can also run some diagnostics on the CAN and MOST ring http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/optical-bus.html. It will be interesting to see what you find, I too have an 04 and I just completed the OnStar to OEM Bluetooth retro-fit.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
1. It is one module. From factory it would be under a drivers feet, but retrofitted it can be anywhere. Mine is in the trunk next to Navigation module.

2. Car + Setup for about five seconds.
1. This is directly contrary to information I've received from a couple other sources. I was told there is a telephony module and then the bluetooth module. In an 04 the bluetooth module replaces the Onstar module but the car still had telephony options when the Onstar module was installed and has the base in the center console that you mount the different adapters to.

2. I got that far but I don't know what menu to go into.

I would think the best place to start would be running a scan and see if there are any errors being logged. If the bluetooth module itself is failing it should be apparent in your scan, also you may see errors on the CAN bus or optical bus. You can also run some diagnostics on the CAN and MOST ring http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/optical-bus.html. It will be interesting to see what you find, I too have an 04 and I just completed the OnStar to OEM Bluetooth retro-fit.
I don't have a VAG COM and I'm selling the car so that's really not an investment I want to make right now... I'm curious too though.

Quick Reply: Telephony module bad?