A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time is coming to replace front pads & rotors . Just a couple question first.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
That assumes it is calibrated at the pad change point by the dealer, VAG-COM or something similar.

Pads like rear EBC reds ship with two optional external sensors, but they have no use w/ the D3's rear set up.
I posted what I did (following the Bentley procedure) along with pictures, which included using VAG-COM software. In fact, more time was spent with the PC than wrenching on the calipers.

Others here have posted that they just used the old C-Clamp method to push the piston back in when changing pads. They said VAG-COM wasn't necessary and that there were no problems. Then, a few days later, when the parking brakes readjusted for the first time after replacing the pads, some, not all, reported parking brake problems.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Sort of...

I remember the postings done without VAG COM. They fell into two groups:

1. I think some in the C clamp group kind of drilled the clamp right through the parking brake motor. Then it was time for a new motor and/or caliper. Oops. Looks like a plastic case to me too. Somehow I bet that group is underrepresented in the posts too...

2. Others did it successfully, probably with the turn in type tools the normal Audi mechanical brake type use, or by avoiding putting pressure on that motor unit. There are posts here somewhere saying it can work.

Like you I did it w/ VAG COM. Not a big deal, but it did take more time to figure it out than to actually do it.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Like you I did it w/ VAG COM. Not a big deal, but it did take more time to figure it out than to actually do it.
I basically had my son (12 or 13 at the time) do it all since he really wanted to. I may have had to crack the bolts free but he did the rest. I'd probably still be in the PC if he wasn't there to help (me out). I did teach him how to use a caliper (non-dial, non-digital) to read the pad thickness that was required etc.

The post is archived as well as the pictures. I have no idea how to find it with the newer website though.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school methods

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I did teach him how to use a caliper (non-dial, non-digital) to read the pad thickness that was required etc.
I'm glad to hear that you taught him this, since I'm on my way to becoming a Luddite of sorts. Reminds me of learning to use a slide rule. They don't still teach that in school, do they?