A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Service Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
That sounds like a very good price. I had to repair some wiring behind the bumper facia so that was another reason I decided to tackle the job myself.
I am at 103k. I am planning on doing the belt change myself. I found out that their are different engine codes between 04-05 and 06's 04-05 have BFM and my 06 is a BGK. Does anyone know if the belt from a BFM kit can work on BGK engines. Blau said it would not work but, I don't know if they are saying that becuase it has not been tried or what. I know the BFM belts have 253 teeth but could not find a tooth count on belts for BGK. Also Mister Bally I would greatly appreciate any pointers you may have on replacing the belts. Once I start I will be replacing both belts, thermostat and water pump as well as pulleys and hydraulic tensioner. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I thought the BGK engine has no timing belt, only a chain. Timing blt is at the front of the engine-large black covers are obvious at the front of each cylinder head-easily removed with two Torx head screws being removed and look for a belt. The timing chain engines have it at the back of the engine.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I thought the BGK engine has no timing belt, only a chain. Timing blt is at the front of the engine-large black covers are obvious at the front of each cylinder head-easily removed with two Torx head screws being removed and look for a belt. The timing chain engines have it at the back of the engine.
Mister Bally you did you use the Blauparts timing belt kit correct? I am at 93k on mines and plan on doing the change around 100k. I was looking for the cheaper route by buying the kit by Blauparts and using a good indy shop. Have anyone else used this kit?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
Mister Bally you did you use the Blauparts timing belt kit correct? I am at 93k on mines and plan on doing the change around 100k. I was looking for the cheaper route by buying the kit by Blauparts and using a good indy shop. Have anyone else used this kit?
Correct, I used the Blauparts kit. They have their own shop... but you have to take the car to Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone priced these parts from Sunset Imports in Oregon? They sell OE at cost + 15% which for my 964RSA is cheaper than any of the aftermarket suppliers selling OEM. The difference might be important for any future CPO claims? I'm just starting to work on my A8 so I haven't looked, yet. If there are enough of us we should look into doing a tool rental/swap too?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jandreas
Has anyone priced these parts from Sunset Imports in Oregon? They sell OE at cost + 15% which for my 964RSA is cheaper than any of the aftermarket suppliers selling OEM. The difference might be important for any future CPO claims? I'm just starting to work on my A8 so I haven't looked, yet. If there are enough of us we should look into doing a tool rental/swap too?
Blau has a pretty good deal of renting the tools for $40.00 with a $400.00 security deposit. I priced the tools from Zelenda and they totaled about $500 but I did not price their torque wrench (recommended by VW/Audi but not part of the Blau rental kit) and I did not price the puller as I have my own.

I did plan to buy the parts at a dealer and buy the tools for "next time". However, money is alot tighter than it was when I bought my overpriced sewing machine (a line from the movie Hollywood Knights refrencing several Porsche 356's).
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got my parts in the mail from blauparts. Ended up shipping in two days flat. My only question is I'm guessing this isn't the OEM thermostat. Anyone have any experience? Is this one a better quality one than the OEM one that you get from the dealer?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Brozee
I just got my parts in the mail from blauparts. Ended up shipping in two days flat. My only question is I'm guessing this isn't the OEM thermostat. Anyone have any experience? Is this one a better quality one than the OEM one that you get from the dealer?
Scroll up a page to my 8/13/10 11:02pm message for the answer you're looking for. Yes, I realize the Blau version does not have the relief hole with steel ball.......
Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes i saw that right after I posted lol. Thanks

Just want to make sure that the Blauparts thermostat is better than the OEM one. As I would hate to have all the blauparts installed and have the thermostat be a less reliable one than the OEM.

Last edited by Brozee; 08-22-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do not buy from blau parts.
I am on my 3rd water pump since I did the timing belt replacement.
Even the serpentine belt was bad.
When I sent the water pump back to them they said it's do to acidic coolant.....they sold me the coolant!!!!

STAY AWAY FROM BLAU PARTS. VERY CHEAP QUALITY.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Service Kit?