A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiny Design Issues with the A8 that bug you

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Tiny Design Issues with the A8 that bug you

I thought I'd open a thread to see if anyone else has found any bizarre or insignificant yet annoying design flaws with the A8. In a car where the engineers seemed to think of everything, there are just a few things that need changing. As an example, I have two:

1. When you turn the car off, the lights in the door buttons for the gas door and trunk lid go off. In the dark at a gas station or a parking lot, it's sometimes near impossible to see which is which. It would be nice if those two buttons would stay lit for a minute or two after shutdown.

2. The sensor that determines steering column position is too sensitive. If you grab the wheel to exit the car, the wheel thinks it has a new position and the entry/exit function won't work. There is a TSB on this issue. The fix is basically "just live with it".

Anyone else have anything like this that bugs them?

Larry
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Does it have to be tiny? Can it be something like upper arms bushings, trunk motor, positioning of engine sensors that requite engine out in order to be changed, or even weight distribution? Engineers didn't think of everything. Not from the very first drawing when they put huge engine in front of front axle. I love this car too, but let's not be blinded by that.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Suspension air compressor that appears to be more suited for small home aquarium pump duty.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I wish there was a way to make the default position for the MMI screen closed. Then I'd use the button to OPEN the screen on the occaisions when I need the screen open.

And another thing...the rear headrests are all wrong. One can not rest ones head on them because of the gap between them and the deat. And their size makes for very poor rearward view.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The turn signals override the hazard flashers, so if you are waiting with indicators on and turn hazard flashers on, they don't flash on both sides.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

95 chimes when I start the car. Low washer fluid, bulb out, small rodent in the trunk. There's a chime for everything and the car cycles through them all every time you start.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_k
95 chimes when I start the car. Low washer fluid, bulb out, small rodent in the trunk. There's a chime for everything and the car cycles through them all every time you start.
That's why I coded mine to UK settings. No more chimes! Downside is front door indicators are reversed and mpg is in imperial gallons.
As far as unlocking gas door, why didn't they design it to lock and unlock lock the way my A4 does? And why is it plastic?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the parking assist irritating.. chiming an endless stream of false alarms during something as simple as backing out of the garage and down the driveway. I know I'm not going to hit the garage door frame, but it thinks I might and chimes relentlessly. I usually hit the button to shut it up.
Attemps at disabling it found the parking assist's MMI display can be shut off permanently, but not the chime. It has to be turned off each time.

The cruise control: rolling along at the 75 mph limit on the interstate, crossing the "I wish I'd flown" parts of the country.. I check the mirror to find a hyper aggressive tailgater who appeared from out of nowhere, inches from my bumper. The cruise control picks that moment to missinterpret a trailer or motorhome in the next lane as an obstruction in my lane, and SLAMS on the brakes..
OMG! you can't react fast enough to do anything but see your life pass before your eyes...
It's happened more than once.. I am happy to report the crazies have managed to avoid crashing into me so far

I "second" awdinut's wish for the MMI to default CLOSED... agree: I'd much rather open the screen when I need it, than watch that thing auto cycling itself into premature melt down. I have the metal gears now, but there's still the principal

otherwise, I love this car!

Last edited by Russ Scott; 09-13-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts
Default MMI screen auto open/close disable?

Is there a way to get the MMI screen to stay put? The option to be able to switch it from auto open/close to manual would be great. I find it a little annoying the way it clunks it's way open and closed, and also know it's just a matter of time before it ****s the bed and requires a needless yet expensive repair.

Can it be done with VCDS?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default The memory seat buttons being hidden in door pocket

I don't know why the put it in the pocket so you have to open it every time to use the memory. I know most people are OK with it because of your remote, but I'm in a manual wheel chair so I use it every time I get in or out.

Also third on the MMI opening every time. We should be able to code it so we can manually open it when we want.

Quick Reply: Tiny Design Issues with the A8 that bug you