A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiny Design Issues with the A8 that bug you

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Screen closed until required would be great. Nice analog clock on that plane surface even greater. Unfortunately only way to make it so would be to get source code and customize it. I would have more ideas if I can get my hands on it.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

CUP HOLDERS!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmm design flaws, no one said it yet; although everyone knows it.

1. The craptastic cup holders that don't hold anything firmly in place and are made of cheap flimsy plastic.

2. In regards to the drive-ability of the vehicle, I would have to say the terrible control arm bushings that barely last 30k before showing signs of wear. The fuel gauge, at least in mine doesn't always adjust right away after filling up.

3. Location of oil filter...... (on 4.2)

4. Trunk motor and trunk latch (in winter)

5. AMI unit not including all necessary accessories (should include mp3 jack, usb input, as well as bluetooth all included or built in.) Especially for the cost of the unit

And as everyone stated, the ability to have the MMI screen manually opened would be great. The option to turn on and off should be in the MMI.

Regardless of these niggles I still love my car. I have contemplated getting a new car so many times, all different types of cars, super quick sporty cars, brand new cars, BMW's, even an M3 and an RS4. All in all my A8 has spoiled me too much and none of these cars even compare to the A8 in my opinion. If the D4 looked anywhere near as good as the D3 I would be gunning to get a new one of those if I could even afford it, but the D3 is timeless.

Last edited by Brozee; 09-13-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gawd awful grinding when the parking brake does it's automatic adjustment every 800, or so, miles.

It always (and only) seems to occur when someone of importance has just taken a ride with me for the first time, and is otherwise very impressed with the car (because I filled the washer fluid and did everything else needed to keep the chimes from going off)... And then I park outside the Country Club, and the grinding noise starts up!

Oh yeah... and useless cup-holders, rear ashtray that won't stay shut, washer system that pumps a gallon of fluid at each activation (setting off the well-known chime), random "iPod not found" message when it was present the last time I pushed a button 5 seconds ago, headlamp bulbs that require an engineering degree to replace, and the endless warning messages at the DIS.

All that said (and even more not said), I love this car! She's nearly as fickle as my first girlfriend, but far more stable and less explosive.

Carry on...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok -

1. Fuel lid release button. It's automatic on BMW and Benz(as in part of the central locking). I am thinking of tapping power for mine from the boot release...)
2. Woeful reaction times for the paddle shift. (although mine being an 04 it was probably not able to be any quicker back then)
3. The chimes. If you exhibit the mental prowess of the person for whom they were designed, then you shouldn't be driving a car at all.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Code it to UK and they all shut up - distance will change to miles but otherwise being RHD will be fine for you.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
Code it to UK and they all shut up - distance will change to miles but otherwise being RHD will be fine for you.
Or ROW - did that to quiet all of the chimes on mine.
Odo went to km, but is changeable in MMI.
There's a thread somewhere about it...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Or ROW - did that to quiet all of the chimes on mine.
Odo went to km, but is changeable in MMI.
There's a thread somewhere about it...
Onto it. Thank you
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DTHREE
2. Woeful reaction times for the paddle shift. (although mine being an 04 it was probably not able to be any quicker back then)
Mine is 2005 and reacts instantly. Faster than any manual shifting for sure. Just like Formula 1 cars.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Mine is 2005 and reacts instantly. Faster than any manual shifting for sure. Just like Formula 1 cars.
So Mishar - should I be looking for a problem with mine then - and what might that be? Car only has 50,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Tiny Design Issues with the A8 that bug you