A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires balding on outside

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tires balding on outside

Have a set of Michelin Pilot A/S +'s 255/45/18. I regularly have them rotated every 7-8k miles on the dot. Also I just had my control arm bushings replaced and had a full four wheel alignment. Thing is; the outside of my tires are much thinner than the inside and the other side closest to the inner part of the car. Basically the side on all four tires on the outsides are thinner. Tires are properly inflated and such and the inner portion and middle of the tire still has decent tread left. Any clue as to why it is doing this? I did have it aligned a while ago too so that rules that out.

P.S. I do drive fast and take corners somewhat faster than normal but definitely don't beat on the car or squeal the tires ever.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have exactly the same problem. Only 19" wheels. I have checked alignment myself (very unconventional way but quite accurate) and found that both toe in angles are greater than they should be, though everything is symmetrical and my steering wheel is OK. I will go for alignment soon, but I am never to sure about reliability of their instruments. I have inflated tires a bit more than Audi recommend. That should utilize negative chamber to relax outer edge a bit. Just experiment. It's fun.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll try and increase the tire pressure. If my memory serves me correct from just remembering from the MMI my TPMS generally reads the tire at 36-37psi.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pressure

On that tire size profile combination I would never go below 40psi, in a spirited style of driving to aggressive driving I keep them at 42psi making sure to check them when cold.
on the alignment on these cars you have to understand elastokinematics in the suspension before you try to align them or check them manually, it is virtually impossible to align them the old fashion way unless you willing to try until you get it right SAI plays a big factor on these cars.
still one of the biggest factors is tires, some people just go with whatever is cheaper regardless of factory suggestions/recommendations.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you for the reply. So you believe that setting it north of 40psi. Around 42 would solve my problem then. They are great tires, quiet, grippy. But expensive. I just want them to last. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default pressure

Originally Posted by Brozee
Thank you for the reply. So you believe that setting it north of 40psi. Around 42 would solve my problem then. They are great tires, quiet, grippy. But expensive. I just want them to last. Thanks.
not the most lasting tires but definitely on my list for aggressive driving, it will elongate the life of the tires keeping them up there but don't expect much maybe 5-7k miles.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my fronts at 42 and rears at 40. They have not shown any signs of uneven wear, but they only have 7000 miles.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wear

Originally Posted by tashakes
I have my fronts at 42 and rears at 40. They have not shown any signs of uneven wear, but they only have 7000 miles.
with those big wheels they will wear in the inside regardless but is inevitable
but with proper alignment and rotation together with the right pressure they can last quite longer.
don't forget road conditions.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I have around 30k on them now. Besides the outer trim the rest of the tread is great actually. I'd say right around half the life. I'm guessing another 15k I can get out of em if I fix the outer problem.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s4master1
On that tire size profile combination I would never go below 40psi, in a spirited style of driving to aggressive driving I keep them at 42psi making sure to check them when cold.
on the alignment on these cars you have to understand elastokinematics in the suspension before you try to align them or check them manually, it is virtually impossible to align them the old fashion way unless you willing to try until you get it right SAI plays a big factor on these cars.
still one of the biggest factors is tires, some people just go with whatever is cheaper regardless of factory suggestions/recommendations.
It seems you are right about pressure. I just wonder if car makers (not only Audi) do any tests before they recommend certain pressure. I just don't like harsh ride of shallow tires anyway and higher pressure makes it worse.

Alignment vies, I am not sure that I understand what you are saying. I think those angles are there and they are not changing whether you measure them old or new way. They also shouldn't change with height of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Tires balding on outside