A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default TPMS Failure

Last month I was driving thru Chicago on my way to Minneapolis when a Tire Pressure monitor failure error was displayed. I then went into the systems menu to display the tire pressure and they were all blank. I figured I was in for another expensive repair, but the error went away after the next rest stop (car was turned off then on).

Do I chalk this up to weirdness, or is something about the give?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm, tricky one...

Do you have VCDS? As mine shows a dash icon, and in VCDS, shows as 'TPMS module can't be reached'. I've bought all new sensors (currently undergoing 'standby' testing on the kitchen table ) and then when I get those installed, I'll see if I can get the system booted up. The module is under the rear seat BTW, maybe pop the squab up and just make sure it's still got a good connection...

K9

Originally Posted by enGage
Last month I was driving thru Chicago on my way to Minneapolis when a Tire Pressure monitor failure error was displayed. I then went into the systems menu to display the tire pressure and they were all blank. I figured I was in for another expensive repair, but the error went away after the next rest stop (car was turned off then on).

Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It sounds like one of sensor batteries is dying. If you check their life with VCDS you will know better. If they are close to 5 years no need for checking, you need new sensors.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts
Default +1

From having this scenario in the last 6 months, as one or more sensors are dying it loses the display for all sensors and the trouble light comes on. But, you can often re set the system at first and the display comes back. The longer term fix are new sensors.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had an almost identical experience last summer with relatively new sensors
It came back on after the next re-start.
Next day it was off, then the whole issue went away - like a lot of things with A8....

The measuring blocks show months left per Seb https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2810739

It's possible the batteries are dying as Misha said, or a hiccup from bumpy roads which is what mine turned out to be.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensors on my '06 SWB sport started throwing error codes of course about 2 months after I put on new tires. I'm pretty **** about tire pressures anyway so I figured I wouldn't get new sensors with new batteries until I was going to replace tires.

Used VAG-COM to change one digit in the code which deactivates the system so the damned error code doesn't come on anymore. When I get around to changing them (VAG has two different Hz settings) it's easy to turn it back on.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, I'm new to the whole tire sensor thing. So what you guys are saying is that if one sensor goes, the entire system shows blanks and throws an error?

One would think that the batteries could be replaced. Are the sensors and batteries a single unit?

The car is 6 years old, so mishar you are saying that it is time for sensors? I'm within a year of needing new tires so if this is the case, I'll replace the sensors then.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If any of batteries is dead (except spare wheel one) system will shut down. Unfortunately batteries can't be changed. 6 years is already very long life. As colder weather comes they will stop working. You can turn the system off by VCDS. That will cancel warning on the dash.

Last edited by mishar; 07-12-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Can't speak of the system,

As mine is disabled right now. But no, batteries can't be replaced. They're kinda 'sealed' in with a resin, like the coil packs.
I would say that they're close to end life, so maybe now is the time. Check my other thread for TPMS sensor availability and pricing. If you can't find it, shoot me a message and I'll hook you up.

K9

OK, I'm new to the whole tire sensor thing. So what you guys are saying is that if one sensor goes, the entire system shows blanks and throws an error?

One would think that the batteries could be replaced. Are the sensors and batteries a single unit?

The car is 6 years old, so mishar you are saying that it is time for sensors? I'm within a year of needing new tires so if this is the case, I'll replace the sensors then.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Replacing TPMS sensors

The ideal time to replace the TPMS sensors is when replacing tires, since the patient is already open. And an ideal time to replace your tires is in the Fall before the snow flies (to provide better traction when you need it most, at least in northern states where it does snow). Just my $0.02 worth.

Quick Reply: TPMS Failure