A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensor and Wheel / Tires Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Sensor and Wheel / Tires Questions

Hello,

I have an 06 A8 with 18's on it and I found a set of OEM a8 sport / s8 20 inch OEM wheels. I've noticed that these were not an option in 06, but were available in 07 and later, these should bolt on my car correct?

I also noticed that the OEM TPMS sensors are big bucks but I found two types online, on ebay there are some aftermarkets, does anybody have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-TPM...f68b22&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Orange-E...5ece8b&vxp=mtr

The first set the blue ones, I was able to reach someone and the said I needed to get the codes off my current ones, and have the new ones cloned to match. Does anyone know anything about the second type? Orange? do these require the same thing? Or can they just be installed and initialized.

I was also planning on leaving my spare 18" with the old TPMS sensor, will in work with the new 4?

I was also looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position 275/35R20 to go with them, anybody have any feedback on that?

Thx,

Aaron

PS Still loving my 06, 100k miles in 3 years and still loving it, plan on driving till I hit 200k!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aburan
I have an 06 A8 with 18's on it and I found a set of OEM a8 sport / s8 20 inch OEM wheels.
I just paid $99,975 for a set of 20" wheels and being nice guys Audi threw a whole new car in with the purchase.
Can tell you they are not going to ride anywhere near like the 18" wheels - quite crappy in fact.
Also if you have rough roads in your area expect bent wheels on a regular basis.
My 2 cent.

Will defer to those more expert on the subject of bolt patterns and fitment.

There are several threads here on the Orange TPMS sensors.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just ordered the blue ones....

The service is awesome. I have the TPMS tech's email. I can only recommend service at the moment, not performance, but I get the feeling they will stand by anything. I've not opened the links, but mine are from OE wheels...

PM me if you want more info/help.

K9

Originally Posted by Aburan
Hello,

I have an 06 A8 with 18's on it and I found a set of OEM a8 sport / s8 20 inch OEM wheels. I've noticed that these were not an option in 06, but were available in 07 and later, these should bolt on my car correct?

I also noticed that the OEM TPMS sensors are big bucks but I found two types online, on ebay there are some aftermarkets, does anybody have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-TPM...f68b22&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Orange-E...5ece8b&vxp=mtr

The first set the blue ones, I was able to reach someone and the said I needed to get the codes off my current ones, and have the new ones cloned to match. Does anyone know anything about the second type? Orange? do these require the same thing? Or can they just be installed and initialized.

I was also planning on leaving my spare 18" with the old TPMS sensor, will in work with the new 4?

I was also looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position 275/35R20 to go with them, anybody have any feedback on that?

Thx,

Aaron

PS Still loving my 06, 100k miles in 3 years and still loving it, plan on driving till I hit 200k!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default +1

Jake knows everything.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Orange are no longer available...

That's what I was told. Go blue.

20's are fine, just be careful.

K9

Originally Posted by jakematic
I just paid $99,975 for a set of 20" wheels and being nice guys Audi threw a whole new car in with the purchase.
Can tell you they are not going to ride anywhere near like the 18" wheels - quite crappy in fact.
Also if you have rough roads in your area expect bent wheels on a regular basis.
My 2 cent.

Will defer to those more expert on the subject of bolt patterns and fitment.

There are several threads here on the Orange TPMS sensors.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Yes they will fit, IF...

they really are genuine Audi and from the A8--as opposed to later S5 wheels for example where the hub center changed. If they are genuine from that era, they should have the Audi part number, be two tone (polished face, gunmetal barrel and spoke sides), and be forged in 20 x9 with a 5x120 bolt pattern.

Yes, you are correct they appeared in 2007; before that only the W12 came with 20's as an option, then the "old RS4 style." Very late ones (I think 2009 plus) were sold as all polished as an even more big bucks option.

S8 wheels typically are different in style than these though, and changed from the early style circa 2007 to a later style. They are painted and not forged as far as I know, and weren't available as the "sport" option on the A8 that I think you are referring to. I mention this because the true polished and forged ones are worth/typically sell for more than the S8 OEM ones.

finally, yes you can and should use your 18" spare. The 20's with 275/35 20 tires actually come with the 18" spare in 255/45-18 on a black painted 5 spoke base style wheel. The 275's don't fit in the spare tire well, hence why the other wheel choice for the spare.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Whatchoo talkin 'bout Willis?

Maybe not everything, for example his spelling needs attention on occasion, but the fact that he still dedicates his time to the D3 forum, having moved on to 'bigger and better things' is the mark of the man IMO. Clearly he's not the typical ' wealthy white older man' who we've been reliably informed drive A8's.

Don't scare him off, I for one (and many others, I suspect) need access to his knowledge and analytical mind.. .

Never forgave him for that cup holder thing though.

K9

Originally Posted by mishar
Jake knows everything.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am serious. Jake is posting about things he knows. Same is in this case. 20's are just fashion. 18's are better in every aspect, unless if you have 400 mm ceramic rotors and 20's are the minimum that fits on top pf them.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi guys,

need to get new TPMS as well as the sensors in the OEM rims on my 2006 D3 A8 have dead batteries... Audi here in Cali wants 2K for the job... NUTS

Can anybody advice on which TPMS to get ? Are the blue ones (US$164.00 for set of 4) in Aburan's first eBay link any good ? Anybody with practical experience with them ?

Others seem to recommend TireRack's TPMS for US$384.00...

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Also, what's the exact procedure to use new TPMS with your car ? Do they need to be coded to your car or do I just put them in the rims and initiate the learning process via MMI ?

I have a set of rims with TPMS already installed from my former 2004 D3 A8 and will put them on my 2006 A8...

Thanks !

- M
Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't want to seem repetitive but it just seems this thread is constantly reborn and re-wrote.

IMO, go to discount tire or belle tire, have them price match the tire rack sensors and have them install them for $10 a wheel. They are the audi OEM 433 MHZ ones as well, work perfectly for me and had great service as well. Don't need to be re-coded all you do is have the new ones installed, go into MMI and hit "change wheels" and it will learn the new sensors after about 5-20 miles of driving.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor and Wheel / Tires Questions