A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

6 Months life for $600. That's expensive! Were those sensors brand new OEM? Any warranty?

Has anybody tried some aftermarket sensors?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike_k
If your 04' is running an older version of MMI you can just go into the settings and shut the TPMS system off altogether. Problem solved.
My own experience tells me that TPMS is very good to have especially with low profile tires. If one of them loose air on highway, until you realize it, you need a new one. There goes money for sensors. Safety would be another issue. A8 is not Ford Explorer but never say never.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
6 Months life for $600. That's expensive! Were those sensors brand new OEM? Any warranty?

Has anybody tried some aftermarket sensors?
6 YEARS, not months.

I have aftermarket sensors in my winter wheels. They work as well as OEM. Less than $400 for the set.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gaspasser19
6 YEARS, not months.

I have aftermarket sensors in my winter wheels. They work as well as OEM. Less than $400 for the set.
"...so finally bit the bullet last summer and replaced all sensors. Worked fine until bitter cold weather came, now I get the same damn yellow malfunction symbol every day." From last summer til now I counted 6 months.

Can you be a bit more specific about those aftermarket sensors, please?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
"...so finally bit the bullet last summer and replaced all sensors. Worked fine until bitter cold weather came, now I get the same damn yellow malfunction symbol every day." From last summer til now I counted 6 months.

Can you be a bit more specific about those aftermarket sensors, please?
From Tirerack.com:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Audi A8

Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.

The Original Equipment sensors from your Original Equipment wheels may be compatible with the new wheels you selected. Please consult the "Important Notes" link found online for more information or call Tire Rack for assistance.

A TPMS repair/rebuild kit is required when sensors are reused.

As an option you may purchase the sensors listed below. They are compatible with both your vehicle's TPMS and the wheel you have selected.

Your system includes:

433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$352.00 for a quantity of 4

Required Valve
$32.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $384.00

Additional Information

If you purchase a Tire & Wheel Package when you buy new sensors, the sensors will be installed on the wheels at no additional charge. Otherwise, you will have to arrange for installation by a trained technician after your new wheels are shipped to you. Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are available to help you with your installation needs and can be selected by ZIP Code in the shopping cart.

Once installed, you will need to read your vehicle's owner's manual to review the proper procedure for allowing your vehicle to "recognize" the new sensors.

Price: $384.00
(Total to Fit 4 Wheels)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

TPMS is useless to any man or woman that knows how to properly analyze and know the feel of their vehicle. They are just in place because it is a law now and it suckles money. I would go the way of tirerack.com as well. I've had my car in -10 degree weather and the sensors still worked. Regardless the fact, I wish I never had them.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you. I’ve seen Tire Rack price. It saves about $100 over set of OEM sensors. Not sure that it is a deal. I think that few chips and one battery should not cost more than $30 each. Retail. Especially since they’ve been made in millions since they are mandatory.

As I said, regarding TPMS usefulness, my experience is different. Even if some super drivers can detect the smallest imperfections in handling, caused by 10 psi lower pressure in one of rear wheels, on a highway speeds it can be too late to save the tire. And then there is a majority of us poor drivers who would detect flying pieces of rubber as first symptom.

I also think that luxury car should work properly. All of it.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you shut off the TPMS on an '05 from the MMI? My '05 has the exact issue, like to just shut it off and check the tire pressure the old fashioned way. Fuse? MMI disable?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends on the MMI version, but in 90% of cases, No.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS $47 at JEGS

Found this while searching for parts for my muscle car.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Orange-Electro...87061/10002/-1

Love to hear if anyone has had any experience with this brand. The price is right too.

Quick Reply: TPMS Troubles