A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Names

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Names

Hi,

I've noticed something weird with the track names on CDs i create and use in the multichanger in the glovebox. Some of the tracks, and it's a different set of tracks each time i load the cd, have their track names as 'Track 4' etc and not the name of the song.

this will change if i change to another cd and then back again. It may then be 'Track 7', 'Track 9' and 'Track12'

is there a limit on what can be shown ? i'm just using conventional cd-r's.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Some original CD's have the track name encoded so it gets displayed and some do not. Making exact copies (for archive purposes only of course wink, wink) copies this information if it is present. I don't buy too many CD's these days..... maybe two or three a year and have found that new releases have this information but say an oldie like Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire album from the 60's will not have the info encoded.

I've never had what you describe where it says the generic track number and then the proper info displayed. That sounds like the encoded track names are not being read but then later they are. Not sure if the player's optics need cleaning or is defective or perhaps due to cold temperatures, it does not read the data until it "warms up" inside once turned on.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The technology Mister Bally is referring to is called CD-Text. Some CDs support it, some don't. Even when burning a CD of your (hopefully legal) tracks on iTunes, you have the option to write CD-Text information as well.

This is not the only CD name technology available on the A8, however. If you play a CD, and go to the control menu, you can name a CD even if it does not have CD-Text. This does not include the tracks, only the CD, and is persistent (i.e. removing the CD and replacing it later will recognize it again)
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks, but i may have not explained myself clearly.

The cd's are recorded using itunes.

currently tracks 3,4 and 5 show 'Track X'. all other tracks have the track names.

if i change the cd and then back again, it'll be three different names which have 'Track' instead of the name. Say Track 10, Track 5 & Track 7.

it's like there is some sort of limit somewhere within the system.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the exact same issue. This was somewhat resolved with me using different discs and burning at a much slower speed. Pathetic that the disc works and reads perfectly in other cars though. I went from a cheap ridata chinese cd to a memorex cd. Burned at 8x with no gap between songs
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is not a system limit, but rather a read error. Try the following (in order of difficulty)
- Put the suspension in comfort mode
- Eject the CD, and clean it, paying particular attention to the center (closest to the hole) where the CD-Text is most often stored.
- Buy better quality CDs (manufactured in Japan or Taiwan) and burn again (Try to avoid China, but especially India)

Hope this helps!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks brozee, i will try the slower burning speed. The cd-rw's are verbatim btw.

Comfort mode ? huh ? maybe i should wind the rear window half way down too ?

;op
Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a theory.......

I have CD-R's which work and all CD-RW's have this track name problem.

You can't burn a CD-RW at less than 8x and that could be the problem ?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

CD-RWs have a much lower reflective index than CDRs. You will also find them skipping easier than others on rough roads. If you want the least problems do not use CD-RWs.

The comfort mode reduces the vibrations in the cabin, thereby increasing the accuracy of the laser and reducing skipping or read errors.

This also solves some rattles, albeit temporarily :-)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've never had it skipping before. Maybe it's because the unit is missing the track names when it loads the cd ?

Quick Reply: Track Names