A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk lid Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trunk lid Struts

Good morning,
I was wondering if any body knows how to replace those gas filled struts that assist lifting the trunk lid. I bought a pair online and wanted to try to do it myself. By just looking at them, it seems to be a little complicated.
Thank you so much,
A.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure, but

I often wondered if half the problem with the auto open was the struts jamming up. That happened on my GF's Eclipse. Different animal, granted....

K9

Originally Posted by abarmard
Good morning,
I was wondering if any body knows how to replace those gas filled struts that assist lifting the trunk lid. I bought a pair online and wanted to try to do it myself. By just looking at them, it seems to be a little complicated.
Thank you so much,
A.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

At the both ends of each strut there is a small steel clip. Just pool it off with really small screwdriver and strut is off. To install a new one just push it on those little *****. Do one at the time and be careful. Lid without them is heavy and can hurt you badly.

Don't be disappointed. It won't help opening.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by mishar
At the both ends of each strut there is a small steel clip. Just pool it off with really small screwdriver and strut is off. To install a new one just push it on those little *****. Do one at the time and be careful. Lid without them is heavy and can hurt you badly.

Thank you so much for the info. I think the one end of the strut that is on the car body is difficult to access, isn't it?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It is not, you will be able to remove them w/o problems, but, as Mishar mentioned, be careful with the trunk.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So The Trunk lid Drive is bad?

Thanks for the info,
So you think that the reason that the trunk lid dosen't open is the driver/motor? But how come that it closes well? Just in case that I have to replace the driver unit motor, I bought a used one in eBay for $100 but replacing that sucker does not seem to be as straight forward!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmard
Thanks for the info,
So you think that the reason that the trunk lid dosen't open is the driver/motor? But how come that it closes well? Just in case that I have to replace the driver unit motor, I bought a used one in eBay for $100 but replacing that sucker does not seem to be as straight forward!
There are two motors.
One for the opening, and one called a soft close motor that sucks it down at the end - if you have that option.
The actuator that opens the trunk wears out over time and doesn't have the power to lift it, a very well documented situation on D3 including mine.

Have a look at this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ht=trunk+motor
And search on "trunk motor" and "trunk lid" - it's a little work to search but there is a lot of information, and lot we all have learned.

Ultimately if you are nervous about it Audi of Charlotte can replace it for $135/hour + parts.
They won't let you bring your own but have excellent free coffee, free wifi, an onsite Apple Genius and manicures now.

Another alternative is to get a Bentley for about $100 and be able to do lots of repairs and diagnosis yourself.
Even though I never work on my Audi's it's still worth every penny.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default +1

Changing lid motor is simple. Just two bolts and harness. I am just suspicious that one from eBay is any better. May be for some short time. Good one is all aluminum and very rarely at eBay.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Changing lid motor is simple. Just two bolts and harness. I am just suspicious that one from eBay is any better. May be for some short time. Good one is all aluminum and very rarely at eBay.
You said that changing the trunk motor is simple, but when I look at the lication of that motor it looks complicated. BTW I do have the Bentley manual but it is not described easy to follow?!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Check the other tread. Just two bolts (from that new actuator you find out which two) and it is out. It is a bit more difficult to install aluminum one since it is a bit larger, aluminum is conductor and battery is very close.

Quick Reply: Trunk lid Struts