A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unimpressive seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unimpressive seat

I test drove a 2006 A8L last weekend was not at all impressed with the feel of the seat. I am now driving my fifth Audi (1999 A8) and I have allways thought the Audi's had the most comfortable seats on the market, until now. Allways much better than friends Mercedes E and S class and no comparison to the big floaters in the Lincoln/Cadilac. Am I just getting old. It seems they cut the depth of the seat cushion down to get more headroom - why not just raise the roof and leave the best seat in the market alone. That's my take, feel free to disagree.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have any issue with the seat and I'm 6'4", 230lbs. I'm not sure that it's remarkably more comfortable than any other luxury car though. My Q45 felt just as nice but the Audi has a lot more side bolster support which makes it feel like the seat wraps around you. I like that. Reminds me of my old V6 SHO.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_k
I don't have any issue with the seat and I'm 6'4", 230lbs. I'm not sure that it's remarkably more comfortable than any other luxury car though. My Q45 felt just as nice but the Audi has a lot more side bolster support which makes it feel like the seat wraps around you. I like that. Reminds me of my old V6 SHO.
I am 6 "4 and 230 also. I love the seats in the A8. There alot more comfortable than any other car I been in. The side bolster does feel like like the seat is wrap around you. In my FX the side bolster and not that supportive.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I've logged over 60,000 miles on my '04 and I bought it used with 56k on the clock. I disagree and feel that the seats are very comfortable. Did you sit in the passenger seat? Maybe the previous owner somehow damaged the driver's seat.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
... Maybe the previous owner somehow damaged the driver's seat.
Or you moulded your old seat just right and there is no new seat that can match that.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

The D3 seats are one the most comfortable car seats I've ever experienced.

Back when I had the 2004 4.2 with the bench rear, I drove a four of my friends to Santa Cruz to visit a common friend that had moved out there. When we arrived, they commented about how surprisingly comfortable the seats were even towards the end of the 3 1/2 hour drive.

I even ended up having to sleep in the drivers seat once. To my surprise at the time, I felt great when I woke up.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default I agree !! My D2 seats were MUCH more comfortable!

Originally Posted by campbell
I test drove a 2006 A8L last weekend was not at all impressed with the feel of the seat. I am now driving my fifth Audi (1999 A8) and I have allways thought the Audi's had the most comfortable seats on the market, until now. Allways much better than friends Mercedes E and S class and no comparison to the big floaters in the Lincoln/Cadilac. Am I just getting old. It seems they cut the depth of the seat cushion down to get more headroom - why not just raise the roof and leave the best seat in the market alone. That's my take, feel free to disagree.
I sold that car to a friend and was in it just the other day...and everytime I get in that car I am struck by how much better the seats are. The seats in the D3 are nice in that they are ventilated and have massage and have adjustable length of the seat cusion. And the design of the tray tables for the D3 seats is better than the D2, so I like that aspect of the D3 seats...but they are uncomfortable. They have the intrusive thigh bolsters of what Audi used to call Sport seats. I'm only a 5'10" 40R size guy,but I like to drive with my legs splayed, and the D3 bolsters dig into my quads. Also, the seat is way too firm;fatiguing on a long trip.

Unfortunarely Volvo makes the most comfortable seats. The Phaeton has excellent seats also, and maybe other cars as well that I have not sat in yet. But not A D3 A8 with the seat we get here in the US.

Last edited by awdinut; 01-09-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the comfort seats are pretty awesome and have no problem finding a position good for a full day of driving. Overall though I'd hold the dynamic seats of the most recent S-class and also the E60 BMW comfort seats sligthly higher since I'm pretty skinny and sometimes lack side support from my current seats.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I read in another thread (A8 vs. 750i), featherpillow did not like his A8 because of the seat and a host of other things but is really happy with his S8. Does anyone know if the seats would be different. The chances of me finding a S8 close enough to home for a test drive are not good.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by campbell
I read in another thread (A8 vs. 750i), featherpillow did not like his A8 because of the seat and a host of other things but is really happy with his S8. Does anyone know if the seats would be different. The chances of me finding a S8 close enough to home for a test drive are not good.
I found the seats in the A8 and S8 to be quite different. The bolsters are more robust in the S8 as you would expect with a sport seat. They are also more firm which I prefer, especially on a long ride.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: unimpressive seat