A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unintended Acceleration?-Lloyd floor mats

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Unintended Acceleration?-Lloyd floor mats

Today, from a stop at a light, I floored it to overtake a vehicle at a lane that ended after the light. The Chevy Trailblazer SS next to me did not want to let me by. The pedal got jammed underneath the top edge of the floor mat (Lloyd Premium Plush Floor Mats from Autoanything.com) and the engine roared on. I put my hand on the key (it's a 2004) and was ready to turn the engine off but I also hit the brakes and they are ten times more powerful than the engine. As I slowed, I grabbed the mat and pulled it away. Problem solved.

I had bought a set of Lloyd's a year ago as the stock Audi ones are pretty crappy. On those I thought the top of the mat near the accelerator pedal was too high so I cut a 2" x 2" square off. I did not want to cut this new set that I bought and felt it would not interfere. Looks like I'll be using the carpet knife tomorrow!

I have previously bought a 1987 5000CS Quattro new. Thanks to the unintended acceleration story by CBS, I saved $7k on that car and it did not have an automatic transmission so it was not linked to the *problem* but Audi's sales were in the toilet.

Oh yeah, I easily overtook the Trailblazer.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your last sentence was the most important!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To me that's a good reason to stick with Audi OEM mats that have the patented grommet and

post system to keep the mats from sliding out of position. I've searched for another source besides Audi and can't find one.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: To me that's a good reason to stick with Audi OEM mats that have the patented grommet and

Actually, the Lloyds premium plush as well as their standard floor mats have provisions to secure the mat to the posts you refer to. My mat was still secured to both posts. The problem is that the mat is a little longer than it needs to be. It actually covers more area than the stock mats on the driver's side. Even the standard Lloyd mats seem to be a much better grade of carpet than the stock Audi mats. That's one of the few non-Audi parts on my car.

For my old 1987 Audi that I got rid of when I bought this car, I bought a set of Lloyd's mats back when they were a supplier to Audi and they were licensed to dye the Audi logo on the carpeted mats. That set lasted me at least 12 years and went with the car to the charity motors place.

When you don't want the car to accelerate, it really screams. I'd hate to have the twelve cylinder in that situation!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Lloyd's system to secure the mat is a plastic strip with a hole in it, fastened to the

underneath side of the mat. The hole is placed over the post in the floorboard and somewhat secures the mat. The mat is pushed up (not level) since there is no grommet to snap on the post. Did the palstic strip slip off of the post? Hate to say it, but the Audi mat is the way to go.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: The Lloyd's system to secure the mat is a plastic strip with a hole in it, fastened to the

Again, both plastic strips were still secured to the post. The problem was that the top (length) of the Lloyd mats is taller than stock Audi for the driver's mat.

Lloyd mats I previously bougt for my now gone 1987 Audi 5000 had the identicalto genuine Audi holes for their old style bright orange steel posts. The two sets I have for my D3 are so plush, it in not noticeable that the mat is sticking up 1/4" because it rests on top of the posts attached to the car's carpet.

Current stock Audi mats have an inferior carpet compared to the two Lloyd's offerings. They cost just as much, if not more than genuine Audi stuff. I buy virtually everything from VW/Audi for my cars. I do not like the look or feel of current genuine Audi floor mats.

All of this is water over the dam as I have cut 1" from the top of the mat near the accelerator pedal. I posted this for the benefit of others in case they have Lloyd's mats so they can be aware of this and maybe do the same for safety sake. I probably have never "floored it" until the other day. I only fear what would happen if Mrs. Bally would be driving and decided to floor it. However, I have burned it int her head that the brakes on all stock vehicles are designed to overcome maximum drivetrain power with ease. Plus, always, ALWAYS be ready to turn the ignition key off if a problem occurs.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmm! I wonder how to turn the ignition off at speed with keyless start?

Never tried that, the electronics probably don't allow you to do that.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Hmmm! I wonder how to turn the ignition off at speed with keyless start?

That's why I mentioned I have a 2004. Press the brake pedal firmly and try the engine stop button.