A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unintended consequences

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a right rear come off my '79 Blazer while I was making a right hand turn. It resulted in 360 deg. rotation and a call for a tow truck. Luckily the wheel hit a tree and not a house or another vehicle. No one to blame but myself for that one. I either didn't get them tight or I broke them when I was out wheeling. I ended up replacing the lugs with Moroso racing studs on all 4 corners and never had another issue.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
Funny you should mention that, as I was thinking it while reading down the page… Beginning in 2015, the race stewards in NASCAR no longer require all five lugs to be tightened securely, so some of the stops are resulting in only 2-3 lugs actually being tight. Lot's of failed wheels last year and again this year. Shaving a second-or-two in the pits can be a recipe for disaster. Of course, things can be worse. A colleague of mine brought his 911 in for an oil change and by the time he got back to the university, the car was making a horrific noise. The tech forgot the oil - lunched that motor (a $19K mistake for the dealer to correct).

Happy and Safe Motoring

Eric
Surprised the 911 didn't have an oil pressure gauge or low pressure warning light or both. Then again, some don't read their instruments. I sometimes ignore my speedometer.....
Old 03-28-2016, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True enough - in his anger...

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Surprised the 911 didn't have an oil pressure gauge or low pressure warning light or both. Then again, some don't read their instruments. I sometimes ignore my speedometer.....
… I never asked the question - many lights must have been glowing. In full admission, this was 1985 and he had an air cooled 911 Targa. I was a grad student then and driving Toyota 4x4's…

Eric
Old 03-29-2016, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you guys have seen this, but this is one well behaved tire and wheel!

Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tooling down US 6 doing 25 mph (in town) when my left rear tire departed the left rear wheel and passed me on the left side as my car slid to a stop. Had just picked up my car from a brake job and the bolts were not tightened. Walked to where the tire came to rest, carried it back to the vehicle, put it back on the hub with a bolt from each remaining tire (thanks Car Talk) and tightened all the bolts by hand. As in your case the dealer made good all the repairs. But it could have been worse if I was on I-94 do 70mph.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm confused. You say the "tire departed the left rear wheel" but also say the bolts weren't tightened. So did the tire come off the wheel or did the wheel and tire come off from the hub? I'm guessing the latter. Was this an Audi dealer? If so, I'm amazed they would fail to tighten the bolts properly. If not an Audi dealer, not so much. Good to hear you were going slow when it happened. I assume there was no damage to the car.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm confused. You say the "tire departed the left rear wheel" but also say the bolts weren't tightened. So did the tire come off the wheel or did the wheel and tire come off from the hub? I'm guessing the latter. Was this an Audi dealer? If so, I'm amazed they would fail to tighten the bolts properly. If not an Audi dealer, not so much. Good to hear you were going slow when it happened. I assume there was no damage to the car.
Well, he said they made good repairs, so it would seem it was damaged, probably a fair bit of work required to repair it. I'm sure he meant wheel well, not just wheel. That would make sense.

I'm glad this didn't result in an accident, but I'm surprised you didn't notice any vibration prior to the wheel coming completely off.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
...Beginning in 2015, the race stewards in NASCAR no longer require all five lugs to be tightened...

Eric
I LOL'd when I read that and thought real race cars only have ONE "bolt"! Then Misha posts the perfect reply:

Originally Posted by mishar
Wow. You know they promoted that guy to toilet cleaner.

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Again I LOL'd, literally. Anyone ever what "Mister Bally" 's first name is? I know and it is OneHunnitSevenny. Full name:
Onehunnitsevenny Readthefrigginsticky Bally
. I think it's Norwegian.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
...Was this an Audi dealer? If so, I'm amazed they would fail to tighten the bolts properly...
Bwahahaha, the laughs just keep on comin'!

Originally Posted by Jack88
...I'm surprised you didn't notice any vibration prior to the wheel coming completely off.
The book says re-torque after a hundred miles. I check it in the lot and it's almost always a third too tight. I keep a torque wrench in with each car's spare. I'm like - what do they call these survivalist doomsday people who are prepared for every emergency; e.g., zombies, atom bomb, ESPN outage - I'm a "Prepper" for car trouble. Which I never have - while on the road (although I've stopped to help many people).

I worked at Sears tool department in college so I have pretty much three of everything (not all stolen, either).

I see this is a resurrected thread, but it's too funny... Even though it should have been reported to NHTSA.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-09-2017 at 02:40 PM.