A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update MMI 3360 To 4610 Successfully With 4F0998961 CD2

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Incorrect, + agree with Mishar

Of course there are Audi CD's. Just order them from AudiUSAParts as one example. You just need to have the specific part number and tell them you want it. Copy anything from the Internet or otherwise very much at own risk. That scenario was also part of the $2,000 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) "brick jobs" back at 3360.

Carlsen BTW--as far as I'm concerned the good parts folks went on to Carlsen Porsche when it splits some years back. Haven't found the newer people are much more than computer clerks and when I (rarely) now go in there the faces are new each time. Same dealership (nearest one to me actually) that just misled me BTW on Euro delivery pricing and how allocations work--at the manager level. That sale went to Stevens Creek, where I actually hadn't been in years. Either Rector's or Royal's parts counter is busier, and presumably Stevens Creek if it is like it was when I went there a lot in the past on "needier" old Audi's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-22-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
...Some dealers have their own policy about this but that doesn't make them right. Updates are there because they cleared some bugs, adopted some low changes and enabled new phones to be properly connected.

You can buy CD's here. Part number: 4F0 998 961

Attached is PDF instruction.
AOA should make the update mandatory to accept new phones, so people who has old version can pair their cars with new ones? Before updating the software, the bluetooth paired with my phones fine with 1190. I didn't update the bluetooth CD1 because it was working fine with iphone 4s & 5 & some off brand Pantech.
We're always trying to justify for what we do, but the fact of the matter is "thousands of Audis are running with old software" and only some of these forums people are savvy enough to get updated. Only forum people are right and the rest are retarded, ignorant bums who happened to drive Audis and Audi as a company thinks the same? As I understand, Audi is targeting high income level consumers, and if "It" thinks these people are stupid or ignorant, "It" must be out of business very soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Variously, you "need" at least 3360...

to run AMI. Just the way it is. Yes, and it will usually run the older stuff with an occasional crash, just like my now obsolete old Sony laptop that runs obsolete XP runs obsolete Bentley service manuals. Nothing newsworthy here in the world of tech and prior gen. products.

If you want to clean up surround sound bugs and possibility system won't have other flakiness you "need"/want the same minimum version, which Audi would update for free under a TSB at the time as long as you said the "magic words" covered by the TSB. It was also the back door way to kill the "lawyer screen," the same one you have to suffer thru on high volume cars like Toyotas endlessly. Please understand if you were on this or other forums at the time, you would have found that pretty easily. It's in the page archives. And as far as manufacturers, no Toyota hasn't updated my 2004 Nav there either, even for some pretty glaring errors, nor has BMW/Mini cleaned up a variety of things on my S, nor Merc. on the Smart where I can't even turn off the service display. And none of the manufacturers has the enthusiast systems access by a huge margin that Audi does w/ VAG COM. The BMW (Mini) stuff out there is crap and in the comparative stone age, and good luck finding much beyond code scanners on the others.

Optionally, if you want things like a map display w/ altitude, better track info in AMI, etc., then 4140 minimum makes sense, plus some phone updates. But as covered before, they did a poor job on the release relative to need for sequential updating, so 4610 makes much more sense.

Last, I definitely do not assume it's my car instead of my phone in approaching bluetooth via MMI (as one of its elements). Having had plenty of iPhones (and previously Motorolas) in the family, neither are foolproof, even before they get dropped 50 or 100 times along the way. Almost always I personally find it's really a phone side issue if that is the overlap to MMI.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-22-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to say: thank you for letting me know that there are OEM CD's and sending me a link to the site where I can buy them. Also thank you for that official Audi document about upgrading MMI software.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is there anybody out there willing to make copies of their MMI update CDs and ship them to me for a reasonable fee? I need 3360 and then preferably one of the latest ones.

PM me!!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CD's are very much official and update covered by Audi documentation. Some dealers have their own policy about this but that doesn't make them right. Updates are there because they cleared some bugs, adopted some low changes and enabled new phones to be properly connected.

You can buy CD's here. Part number: 4F0 998 961

Attached is PDF instruction.
Mishar, thanks for this information. As a new member on the forum I've been reading through the countless threads here and elsewhere on how to upgrade the MMI system and you seem to consistently provide effective feedback around this subject.

I have three questions out of all that I've read. I have an '07 S8 with SW v2740. I'm looking to enable an AMI.

1) Are we sure that one can upgrade directly from 2740 to 3610 with just the 2 disc set (4F0 998 961)? I was under the impression of yes until I saw the PDF above. It used 2740 as the example but still suggested the first disc (4F0 906 961 AB).

2) Are we sure that we can leave the car running during this upgrade if a charger is not available?

3) Can one get through the upgrade without a vag com, errors or not?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tdawg183
1) Are we sure that one can upgrade directly from 2740 to 3610 with just the 2 disc set (4F0 998 961)? I was under the impression of yes until I saw the PDF above. It used 2740 as the example but still suggested the first disc (4F0 906 961 AB).

2) Are we sure that we can leave the car running during this upgrade if a charger is not available?

3) Can one get through the upgrade without a vag com, errors or not?
1. Go directly to 4610. I am sure that it works.

2. I did it few times without any problem.

3. Update itself doesn't create any errors. You will loose battery gauge from MMI, but that one is deceiving anyways (that's why they deleted it in the latest update). It can be turned on again from the Hidden Menu or by VCDS but it will still be useless.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. Go directly to 4610. I am sure that it works.

2. I did it few times without any problem.

3. Update itself doesn't create any errors. You will loose battery gauge from MMI, but that one is deceiving anyways (that's why they deleted it in the latest update). It can be turned on again from the Hidden Menu or by VCDS but it will still be useless.
So I'm not exactly sure of the cause but when I tried to update my '07 S8 from 2740 using just the 2 cd set (4F0 906 961 AB) CD 1 would get stuck in a repeat cycle of initializing and calling the device before any progress was made. Scared the heck out of me after waiting 1.5 hours before calling it quits. After almost assuming I bricked the Bluetooth, I reset the MMI and my phone still worked.

Long story short, the upgrade ended up working but I ended up doing the 3360 (from 2740) first and then to 4610. The first disc of the 4610 upgrade flat out didn't work for me. Any ideas why?

This isn't saying I couldn't have just gone from 2740 to 4610 using only disc 2 of the 4F0 906 961 AB set, i was just too worried after disc 1 not working that I felt the need to upgrade to 3360 first.

Thanks for all the help and much needed guidance guys!
Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Disk 1 is a Bluetooth clean up disk. If you cannot go through the update, then you have an issue with something in your Bluetooth. Mine did the same thing with disk 1 but I upgraded from 1170 to 4610 with disk 2.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
Disk 1 is a Bluetooth clean up disk. If you cannot go through the update, then you have an issue with something in your Bluetooth. Mine did the same thing with disk 1 but I upgraded from 1170 to 4610 with disk 2.
Right, but what I guess I'm getting at is that everything Bluetooth wise is working.

Quick Reply: Update MMI 3360 To 4610 Successfully With 4F0998961 CD2