A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vag-com/VCDS lowering failed. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vag-com/VCDS lowering failed. Any advice?

I followed Der Kimbo's directions in the first of the following threads on D3 Vagcom lowering: (informative threads A B C D Ross-Tech.

I was on what I believe to be a very level surface and TPMS showed my tires at 40.6, 40.6 40.6 and 39.7 for the rear left. I decided to try x11xx in the coding which is -20mm front -20mm back. Then I entered the security code. Then I entered adaptation. During the adaptation the measured values were 418, 412,402 and 396. I'm not sure why it was measuring lower on the passenger side. I used a quality 4 food level. The base where the millimeter scale started also had a bubble level very close so the level was oriented perfectly vertical with each measurement. I know my measurement were at least moderately accurate. I entered 1 in channel 5 and saved it. I completed it the first time around seemingly successfully.

I rolled it 15 ft forward and lowered it to the lowest setting and stepped out to take a look. I didn't really look like it worked so I rolled it back and tried again.

This time, while in adaptation the stored values were low but the measured values where way off, pretty much the same as the fist time. It kept saying invalid but seemed to save.

Around that time, my laptop gave me a low battery warning so I plugged it into an DC to AC inverter plugged into the rear seat cigarette lighter. The funny thing is the inverter kept cycling on and off for some reason. I know it's worked fine before in another car. This made my laptop think it was on AC power for a second and back to DC for a second in a continuous cycle.

In subsequent tries in adaptation, I would not let me complete and kept prompting me for the security code leading me to believe the laptop power issue was causing problems with VDCS. So I had no choice but to abort before completion and take my laptop inside to charge it.

Does anyone know if I successfully complete the adaptation later if it will take it out of limp mode or have I screwed something up?

Also, what was the reason the second time around the measurement values in adaptation were lowered but the measurement I took were pretty much the same as the first time. Did I try to lower it by too much on the first attempt?

Does saving channel 0 reset the height to factory like the helper says? I did not seem to work for me...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry, it's reversable. Just Clear the DTC First and set the Code back to Factory Settings. Next enter the Security Access Code and then Re-do the Adaptation. Don't worry about moving the Car, just take your measurements at each Wheel and Save as you go. The last step is Channel 5 Save then Back your way Out of VCDS and turn off the car a few seconds. Now you're ready to start all over again, but check to make sure all DTCs have been Cleared!

Here's a Tip:

1) Trip your Door Lock with your Finger or Screw Driver so that you don't use the Latch entering & exiting the Car.
2) Don't Worry about Moving the Car, just give it some time and it Will adjust to the Proper Height.
3) Use an Extension Cord for your Laptop so that it Stays Fully Powered during the Process
4) Use a Piece of Masking Tape and a Pencil to Mark each Wheels Center Point and measure from that Point to Center Lip of the Fender
5) Try 20mm Front & 10mm Rear
6) Make your Setting in Glabal Mode (Code Module)
7) Enter Security Access Code
8) Adaption Channel 1 Must go thru its Lowering & Lifting before Ready Mode then Enter Channel 1 Measurement, Test, & Save. Do the Measurement, Test, & Save for each Channel (1-4) and enter 1 for Channel 5 then Test & Save.
9) You're Done, but you can Repeat it again to get it Closer each time.

Good luck & laters,

Last edited by williebone; 01-11-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Got it all sorted out...

Thanks for the advice williebone!

Well it worked this time and the difference is pretty dramatic!!! I coded it for x24xx which only lowered it 15mm front and 5mm rear.

I thought I'd try a modest drop at first but it looks more aggressive than expected. This is on the lowest suspension setting with 20" double seven spoke 2007+ sport package wheels. I might back off 5mm front and rear and see if I like that better.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ModestW12
Thanks for the advice williebone!

Well it worked this time and the difference is pretty dramatic!!! I coded it for x24xx which only lowered it 15mm front and 5mm rear.

I thought I'd try a modest drop at first but it looks more aggressive than expected. This is on the lowest suspension setting with 20" double seven spoke 2007+ sport package wheels. I might back off 5mm front and rear and see if I like that better.
Congrats! Laters,
Old 01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, don't try it more than 2 or 3 times in a row. There is something that blocks the system and any changes will be ignored.

When I did mine, I screwed up and put some stupid values and the car ended up looking like a 4x4 truck. Then I understood what I had done wrong, but by that time I had tried to fix my f*#^up a few times and I really thought I had broken something. I went to sleep crying like a little girl (yes, it happens to grown men when they mess up their cars) and tried it the next morning with a fresh brain. It worked like a charm.

In summary, you have to understand the full procedure before it works the first time around.

Cheers
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha, that's a great story. I'm guessing that the photo in your signature is prior to the VAG-COM suspension modification?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by woofster
Haha, that's a great story. I'm guessing that the photo in your signature is prior to the VAG-COM suspension modification?
You guessed correctly. I had plans to post photos but as luck would have it, I got a hole in my front passengers tire on a random visit to Costco. It happened either just before I pulled in or somewhere in the parking lot right before I parked.

Since I was there anyways, I stepped into the Costco tire service center but it turned out they don't carry my tire size. Their shady efforts in the parking lot to drum up business were wasted on a wheel they can't even sell tires for! All of the tire shops I've been to so far say it's too big to repair. It doesn't look too big to me but I'm no expert. The tires were close to the end of their life anyways so it's not so bad.

Anyways, it will probably be a week or so before the new set gets installed and I can snap photos.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Careful where you shop! S4Master1,2,3,4,5,6 or something like that may question why an Audi Owner is Shopping at Costco or why didn't you have it Flatbedded to him for repair right away! lol BTW, haven't heard from the Old Chap lately. Take care and laters,
Old 01-14-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by williebone
Careful where you shop! S4Master1,2,3,4,5,6 or something like that may question why an Audi Owner is Shopping at Costco or why didn't you have it Flatbedded to him for repair right away! lol BTW, haven't heard from the Old Chap lately. Take care and laters,
Shop at Coscto, LOL! I own it, I wasn't shopping there. And flatbedding my car to some peasant repair shop in Culver City is below my station. I usually have a repair crew and equipment helicoptered to wherever I am. At this particular time the helicopter wan't available. My servants were bottling bath water for me from Iguazu falls in Brazil and the other helicopter was fetching my dry cleaning.

Last edited by ModestW12; 01-14-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ModestW12
Shop at Coscto, LOL! I own it, I wasn't shopping there. And flatbedding my car so some peasant repair shop in Culver City is below my station. I usually have a repair crew and equipment helicoptered to wherever I am. At this particular time the helicopter wan't available. My servants were bottling bath water for me from Iguazu falls in Brazil and the other helicopter was fetching my dry cleaning.
Now that was Funny! If he could send a Jumbo Jet for the Pick & Delivery here in NW Indiana, I would've taken him up on the Service! lol Take care and good luck on the tires. Laters,

Quick Reply: Vag-com/VCDS lowering failed. Any advice?