A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very high milage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 AM
DKC
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very high milage

I am thinking of buying a cheap (around EUR 10k) Audi A8 D3 from 2002-2003. It is going to be used as a long range cruiser and I will sell it within 6 months so I don't mind costs for repairs but there is no reason to get a newer model and take the depreciation. These models have around km. 180k-250k on the clock.

Does anyone have experience with reliability and costs of running an A8 D3 with this high mileage or higher?

My intial thought was to get a 2007-2008 model with less than km. 50k on the clock but it would be a waste of money when I have to resell within 6 months.

Thank you for a nice forum.

Chris
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it is the 3.0tdi then?
I think in terms of reliability, apart from the air suspension, there is little which is really out of the ordinary. At that sort of price and age the MMI screen will probably not retract properly but you can always simply fix that in the 'up' position by removing electrical power to the motor.

Do the usual checks but I do not know of any real issues with the 3.0tdi - it seems pretty good but I would budget for some work on the gearbox - or a replacement.

In that sort of price range you may be better going for an A6 2.7tdi or 3.0tdi - it more straightforward to run as it gets older and more common so easier to buy a better one at the outset.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Why buy this kind of car to only resell it? Most people who want to buy these cars keep them, and invest in them. I don't suggest ANY audi if you just want to resell it. Generally on a high mileage D3 your only replacing things you normally would previously in the service cycle. By no means am I trying to be rude, only fore-warning you. You really should think of going volkswagen if you want something cheaper but still of german quality. Cheaper repair costs too, unless your all about how you look and that is why you want an audi in the first place??

Last edited by Brozee; 05-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM
DKC
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for your replies.

I live in Denmark were the tax on cars is 180% (yes I'm not joking) but will be moving to Sweden for 6 months where the high tax isn't an issue. I don't want to bring the car back to Denmark where the tax will get added so when I am finished with it, I will see if anyone want to buy it.

I will be commuting around km 100 daily so it is nice with a car that is good for long distance cruising. It is basically going to be a workhorse for me and I don't see any reason to get a newer A8, or A6 for that matter, due to the loss of value with the miles I'm going to put on it.
The reason why I asked about the reliability with high mileage is that I know that many people buy old Mercedes taxis with km 300-400 on the clock and use them for commuting without that many repairs.

Seems that many of the cheaper versions on the market are 4.2 quattro petrol engines.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Although the A8 is a great comfort machine, many people seem to think of it as an ideal vehicle for long distances, yet almost all of these drivers drive alone, which I think is odd. The car is huge. Thing is I wish there was a smaller car that is better on gas mileage but still retains the same comfort as the A8; but there just isn't lol.

D2 A8's seem fine reliable wise as long as the trans is in good working order. Now when you fine reliable I wouldn't ever consider an audi's electronics reliable. But the engines are solid.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM
DKC
AudiWorld Newcomer

By the way I am not very interested to be seen in the car and try to be flashy. My first thought was to get a Phaeton The Phaeton however has some reliability issues.

I can afford to by a new A8 if I want but I don't really think it is worth it when all I need is a workhorse for a short period. Then I think it is better to go as cheap as possible, but still enjoy the luxury and good quality of the A8.

Guess that all I wanted to know with this post was how the reliability of this car is with high miles is. Don't mind the minor repairs, but I assume that the A8 has quite a reliable engine.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 AM
DKC
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Brozee for the answer. Didn't see it before I posted.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Funny you say that! I really wanted the phaeton as well. Until it was so hard to find one, then when I did the glovebox wouldn't pop, the switch for the moonroof was broken, had a scrape on the side of the car, and its brakes and rotors were toast. On top of that the MMI is much better. Although I do much prefer the phaeton's seats, and center console along with it's nav screen. Other's please don't chime in and turn this into a debate lol, I do have an A8 after all..

Good luck with finding a nice A8 though man, I'm sure you will. Since you only need it for 6 months you can probably get a cheaper one right off someones hands and won't need to do the timing belt procedure either.