A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty tire discontinued; store wants me to buy 3 new?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warranty tire discontinued; store wants me to buy 3 new?

Looking for tire advice after my slow leak was diagnosed by a famous discount tire chain as a couple of nails hitching a ride. "Bob" says one nail is too close to the edge I need to replace the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (all-season). It's free because I bought the warranty like a good consumer.

So Bob calls today and says he can't get my free tire because Goodyear discontinued it. However, because I bought the warranty and the tires only have 12K miles, Goodyear is willing to credit the purchase of new non-Goodyear tires. I made him repeat that because it sounded off. Each new tire would only cost me $99 after the credit, plus the fourth tire is free. Note that I have the Sport option, so tire selection is smaller than usual: 275/35R20.

He recommended the "Continental Extreme Contact DWSX6", which he would still have to order. Total damage for 4 new tires would be $519 if I opt for the warranty again.

Has anyone run into this? I'm just looking for a "Yeah, that sounds right" or a "Dude, they're rolling you!" And I get what he's saying; it just seems like the expensive warranty didn't really protect me this time. I have used this chain for probably 15 years and don't want to switch if I don't have to, but I'll happily defect if someone is lying and/or trying to up-sell me needlessly. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I can definitely say the F1 A/S are discontinued and will be impossible to find one somewhere. You need to read the warrant disclaimers and see what they are proposing to you. I'm tire business and if you ant to post or PM me the proposal, I would gladly look over it for you.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Thanks, TSHong. He said he couldn't email the proposal to me, but the basics were: a) Goodyear would credit $118/tire on the 3 good tires; b) the Continental Extremecontact dws 06 would therefore only be $99/tire and 4th tire free. I think the credit was based on tread depth remaining.

Is this preferable to buying a $290 replacement from Walmart (which their website says is still available), which would likely be a 2-year-old tire? Buying 4 new tires would push back the anticipated tire replacement date (although at an expense I wasn't expecting to see for years). Just mad about spending $1400 on tires that lasted less than two years (warranty credit notwithstanding). Is this typical in situations like these?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Indy, I see loads of these tires, new and used, on Fleabay. Did you look?

When I've been stuck with tires listed as no longer available, I always check Fleabay. Haven't had a problem yet with anything purchased there. Sellers seem to do a reasonable job checking the used merchandise.

You'll have to verify if it meets the exact spec you need incl. load rating, etc.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Club AutoUnion

Honestly, Fleabay never occurred to me. I just checked and I think you might have solved my problem. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyAudi
Honestly, Fleabay never occurred to me. I just checked and I think you might have solved my problem. Thanks!
I would not worry about buying an older tire. It takes almost a year for a new tire to cure for optimal mileage and traction. Let's put it this way, Ford was the organization that started the replace if older than 7 years after born on date. It was not a tire manufacture who started that.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default eBay Has Worked For Me

You can find a used tire with about the same remaining tread. Putting just one new tire on an axle with an old tire is not good with Quattro. Be careful buying on eBay, there are a lot of sellers offering tires "professionally patched" which may not be a risk you are willing to take. BTW, even a properly patched tire reduces the speed rating of a tire by one notch.
Attached Images   
Old 07-09-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pro-rated onother 3 tires

I had similar issue with Costco on Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons.

They preo-rated life on remaining and I paid like 80 bucks for the new A/S 3+ after about 10 k miles

Old 07-09-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

How many miles on the remaining tires? Tread depth? If worn down, a free tire and $100+ credit on each of the other three seems pretty fair to me.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-09-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Continental tires come with road hazard from Continental so why are they selling you more road hazard?

Quick Reply: Warranty tire discontinued; store wants me to buy 3 new?