A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking inside car from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's the diagram?
Old 12-13-2021, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amiko Tsanava
Where's the diagram?

Old 12-13-2021, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toys-N-Jous
ahhh those... OK.
It's impossible to reach them with hands and clean effectively.

You can use endoscopic camera and insert it into each of that area and inspect detailed situation related to the pollution of those hoes.

Also, you should prepare a special tool (something like sewage cleaning cord or thick wire with brushes on the end) and use it together with endoscopic camera so that to ensure you will clean out all the dirt inside those A and B hoes.

Pretty easy to do with correct equipment, although impossible to accomplish with bare hands.

I have tried that several times.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amiko Tsanava
ahhh those... OK.
It's impossible to reach them with hands and clean effectively.

You can use endoscopic camera and insert it into each of that area and inspect detailed situation related to the pollution of those hoes.

Also, you should prepare a special tool (something like sewage cleaning cord or thick wire with brushes on the end) and use it together with endoscopic camera so that to ensure you will clean out all the dirt inside those A and B hoes.

Pretty easy to do with correct equipment, although impossible to accomplish with bare hands.

I have tried that several times.

Appreciate the help.

What would be the main culprit for the blower motor getting water inside and dripping inside the cabin?

I am going to check the ac drain lines under the carpet and unclog those with some air.

Then I have clogged sun roof drains aswell. Trying to work some weed Wacker line in there to loosen it up but I might just cut the end off at fender and blow through that port aswell.

If I fix these leaks my a8 d3 can get a few more years of life I'm hoping. Still runs and drives great just want ti address these leaks before a ecu or body control module gets wet
Old 12-13-2021, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Appreciate the help.

What would be the main culprit for the blower motor getting water inside and dripping inside the cabin?

I am going to check the ac drain lines under the carpet and unclog those with some air.

Then I have clogged sun roof drains aswell. Trying to work some weed Wacker line in there to loosen it up but I might just cut the end off at fender and blow through that port aswell.

If I fix these leaks my a8 d3 can get a few more years of life I'm hoping. Still runs and drives great just want ti address these leaks before a ecu or body control module gets wet
the main reason can be thoe A and B hoes.
Clean those out as soon as possible.
You can check that with 2-3 litter bottle of water. Just pour the water into that area and it must go through those hoes without any barrier. If the water doesn't go at once, there you go. It means those hoes are extremely clogged.

AC drainage may be also an issue. But not so frequent.

Sunroof - VERY IMPORTANT to check. With 3 meter long, 0.5-0.7 cm thick elastic wire. Just push the wire into the hole you can find in the corner of the sunroof opening.
The following users liked this post:
Toys-N-Jous (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

A&B drains.
The A & B Pictures does not really do a good job in giving you an idea of what needs to be unclogged.

From the point of view of the current image, the take away here is that there are 2 holes around this area for drainage.

To be honest I haven't even seen these openings even after replacing the brushes of the air blower.

Those rubber drain tube are about 2 inches in diameter and "crimped" at the end. This is reason why they clog if the debris is large it will not go through.

Go underneath the car with a long screwdriver.

You should see these 2 curved rubber tubes that that is crimped at the ends.

By just poking them, the debris should fall off.

Just do a couple of cycles blowing air and flushing the cowling with water to make sure all the debris has been removed.

Hvac: Do you hear water sloshing as you drive?

The Condensate drain for the evaporator is not well designed.

If your water intrusion is coming from the evaporator, the debris is usually at the opening of the evaporator housing where the curved rubber drain is attached.

There are 2 of these drains (left and right)

The best way to clean them out is by detaching these drains from the evaporator housing.

There are numerous posting with images in this site to help you access this component.

Last edited by maxandtara; 12-14-2021 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo