A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

If you get the right set of springs, it will work. I met SilverA8L and I gave him 2 sets, his is working until now. He just put 1 set to the driver side and the trunk moves right away.

-All mechanical engineers out there, you don't put the springs on the passenger side - it's the driver side that's actually needed. The springs are just to hold the height of the driver side in place while the motor is "twisting" the passenger side.

Now, Luk from Poland showed me his way of fixing it, and I did it, now I don't need the springs anymore. It's been working for a few weeks now.

When you put a spring that are too strong and high and on the wrong side, you can't close the trunk. That's normal.

I've been testing all these scenarios for many times now. It's done and yes, since the torques designed on these plastic case pre-08 are only 176Nm or 163Nm, the trunk goes up slowly, but it does go up.

I bought 2 cheap FEQ struts and actually only replaced the driver side (stronger pressure), the trunk did lift a little quicker.
Yes, $500 will get you a nice Metal motor and it will lift the trunk quickly - look at PaulW new trunk - it did go up in 5 sec compares to the plastic ones at 7 secs.

I like to fix things - buying a new one is easy.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's your point Louis?

K9
Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do what you feel like/able to do with the problem... try all possible ways then select the best one.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got it.

I'd be surprised if the new motor had a failed clutch already, so I guess going back and looking at alignment and pivot points is the way forward.

Thanks,

K9

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Do what you feel like/able to do with the problem... try all possible ways then select the best one.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If it's new, it should be good, what's the torque rating on the sticker? The amazing thing is when I moved the motor side hinge (back) up or down, it will work or NOT work at all. The only way you can move it up or down is to loosen the middle bolt.

Here is how I adjusted the hinge, the passenger side first, the original position should be the one. When you latch the trunk, nothing happens, then move back hinge (where the stopper is) all the way to the bottom until the trunk latches and the motor start to lift the back trunk up. When the back trunk (motor side) lifts but the driver side doesn't, then put the springs or try to raise the passenger side hinge up a little until the whole trunk can be lifted up.

I did spray silicon lubricant on hinges.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent to Louis re: springs
Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My conclusion? Yes it is possible to get the plastic trunk motor working again. Replace it with a metal one. Job done.

K9
Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Gary Knox
PM sent to Louis re: springs
I don't have stamps with me today, I'll send some tomorrow. The question is this, does the trunk still try to lift itself up then closes because the timeout is on? If nothing happens when you hit the switch, the springs won't help. The springs only help if the trunk lifts up then falls down, if NOTHING happpens, no lifting motion then the clutch is dead.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Louis,

Yes, trunk latch releases, trunk opens about 1", drivers' side lifts up at the area behind the back seat, but driver's does not. Motor is operating, then after about 15 seconds, trunk closes and latches.

Gary
Old 09-18-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, it will work, put the springs on the driver side, it will lift the trunk nicely. I'll send them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....