A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Please take the picture and share with the forum

Originally Posted by island 321
Quick update- Sunday trip to Lowes Hardware dept. Closest springs they had in stock were 11/16"x3"x.062",what the heck give it a shot. Cut the spring in 1/2 and removed the black plastic stop cover. The spring nicely wound around the bolt and the part the bolt screws into.Fingers crossed-closed the lid.Drum roll please........ it worked! now-repeated numerous times seems to work great as a fix[B] Thanks Mr Louis-you will be written in the books with Ben Franklin.! Dan
Thanks,

I just ordered a few more springs, but if the spring you bought is readily at Lowes, please share.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Thanks,

I just ordered a few more springs, but if the spring you bought is readily at Lowes, please share.

Cheers,

Louis
Louis- the Lowes spring was a quick fix,dont think it will hold up over time,not heavy duty enough. Works 8 out of 10 times so I think you are correct with the appliance type heavy duty one, Yes sir still interested in a set when you get them. )btw nice video on the oil change!) dan
Old 03-10-2014, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If there is anyone from the Uk trying to find springs, I got mine from screwfix. They sell a whole set of vatious sizes in a container for £4. They have worked for me so far.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just got 5 springs today - email me if anyone needs them

Hello all,
I got 5 springs today, let me know if you really need them, again, it's a Micky Mouse fix, but it's been working for me for months now, reliably. Name and address please. I rather to take 1 trip to the post office.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello all,
I got 5 springs today, let me know if you really need them, again, it's a Micky Mouse fix, but it's been working for me for months now, reliably. Name and address please. I rather to take 1 trip to the post office.

Cheers,

Louis
Louis-just sent you pm for a set,thanks Dan
Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's it, no more post office trips...

I can't believe, a little spring, I can't use regular envelops, and when the padded envelop is not flat (because of the thickness of the spring), it becomes a package and it cost $2.32 to ship (and they still lose money). The envelops cost $1 a piece.
I detest going to banks and post offices because:

1. The long line with 1 person helping people while others in the back ground taking breaks.
2. The people never prepare any packages and take 5-10 minutes to finish a transaction.
3. Why do people still use checks?

Anyhow, I asked the guy if I can just put stamps on the envelops next time so I don't have to physically go there any more, and he told me make sure I put enough stamps or they will come back. What if I put more than $2.32, do they give me credits since the stamps are .49 cents? He said NO.

BTW, if any of you that I sent the springs to, have no paypal accounts, you can keep the spring, I don't have time to go to the bank to cash a $5. check.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can't believe, a little spring, I can't use regular envelops, and when the padded envelop is not flat (because of the thickness of the spring), it becomes a package and it cost $2.32 to ship (and they still lose money). The envelops cost $1 a piece.
I detest going to banks and post offices because:

1. The long line with 1 person helping people while others in the back ground taking breaks.
2. The people never prepare any packages and take 5-10 minutes to finish a transaction.
3. Why do people still use checks?

Anyhow, I asked the guy if I can just put stamps on the envelops next time so I don't have to physically go there any more, and he told me make sure I put enough stamps or they will come back. What if I put more than $2.32, do they give me credits since the stamps are .49 cents? He said NO.

BTW, if any of you that I sent the springs to, have no paypal accounts, you can keep the spring, I don't have time to go to the bank to cash a $5. check.

Cheers,

Louis
much thanks and appreciation for your innovative solutions
Old 12-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so to revive an old thread.....any chance of grabbing a set of these springs still or the sizes I needed and a website to order from?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you're in the bay area, drop by, I have a set left...

these seem to be used by fixture vendors and I don't see them sold anywhere else. I can ask the vendors, but I don't think they sell retail.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd love to drop by but......I live across the pacific.....in an island....called oahu....any chance of mailing? I have an active paypal account

Quick Reply: Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....