A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight of gutted A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight of gutted A8

I am kicking the idea around in my head of picking up a beat up A8 and stripping it out and racing it. Where do you think the weight of a short wheel base 98 or 99 A8 would land. 3200-3500? is my guess.

edit: I just realized I put this in the wrong section. This though be in the D2 section. is there a way i can move the thread or should I delete it and create a new one?

Last edited by somedude_001; 03-21-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 AM
PCC
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by somedude_001
I am kicking the idea around in my head of picking up a beat up A8 and stripping it out and racing it. Where do you think the weight of a short wheel base 98 or 99 A8 would land. 3200-3500? is my guess.

edit: I just realized I put this in the wrong section. This though be in the D2 section. is there a way i can move the thread or should I delete it and create a new one?
I track may 911. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to race an Audi sedan. Don't get me wrong, I love my S8, but it doesn't belong on the track. You'd be far better served buying a beat up 911 and getting it track legal.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PCC
I track may 911. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to race an Audi sedan. Don't get me wrong, I love my S8, but it doesn't belong on the track. You'd be far better served buying a beat up 911 and getting it track legal.
problem is a beat up 911 is still north of 10 grand + repairs/upgrades to get it track ready. I have driven and considered just about every car under 35 grad for a track car. I have driven a 911 (non turbo) a bmw Z4 M, several audi S4's, several SHO's, 2 corvettes, and to be honest the 911 was THE BEAST driving car I have ever had and with that being said I would have a corvette if I wanted to go that route. There is just something about racing something that does not belong that is fun, and there is some real value to racing something where in the back of your head you can say "I really don't care if I stuff this car into a wall today" fun is driving at or beyond the limit. I have found that massive power or crazy speeds are meaningless to me on the road course. It is all about taming that which does not want to be tamed. running my SHO at the limit was a fantastic experience I don't regret a single track even I raced that car at. I feel that my driver skill cannot move forward from that vehicle though. I have been racing SHO's since 2005 and you can only do so much in a front wheel drive
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 AM
PCC
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by somedude_001
problem is a beat up 911 is still north of 10 grand + repairs/upgrades to get it track ready. I have driven and considered just about every car under 35 grad for a track car. I have driven a 911 (non turbo) a bmw Z4 M, several audi S4's, several SHO's, 2 corvettes, and to be honest the 911 was THE BEAST driving car I have ever had and with that being said I would have a corvette if I wanted to go that route. There is just something about racing something that does not belong that is fun, and there is some real value to racing something where in the back of your head you can say "I really don't care if I stuff this car into a wall today" fun is driving at or beyond the limit. I have found that massive power or crazy speeds are meaningless to me on the road course. It is all about taming that which does not want to be tamed. running my SHO at the limit was a fantastic experience I don't regret a single track even I raced that car at. I feel that my driver skill cannot move forward from that vehicle though. I have been racing SHO's since 2005 and you can only do so much in a front wheel drive
Fair enough. I actually see your point. What will you race against if you put the A8 on the track?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PCC
Fair enough. I actually see your point. What will you race against if you put the A8 on the track?
I just do open lapping days. I have been looking at all sorts of vehicles. obviously weight is a issue so I am trying to keep that down, but the sleeper factor makes it really fun. Something I have been strongly considering along side the A8 project is a chevy express 2500... I know probably the last thing in the world you would consider, but if I removed the body added a cage to the bare frame and mounted a seat and steering wheel I have a track ready LIGHT vehicle that is completely ready for the abuse of racing. Heavy duty rear end (14 bolt), heavy duty trans (4L80E) 4.8 V8 (engine which has a endless aftermarket) heavy duty suspension, and fantastic brakes. I can promise you that nobody will understand this one until you have ripped one of these vans loaded with equipment through mountain roads. They handle remarkably well and have... JUST enough brakes to keep things relatively safe, but if you remove a 2K lbs or so (including the weight of equipment I haul) they would have no problem stopping... I don't have the time to dedicate to a project like that though so that is why I am leaning to a A8. cheap, good power, sleeper, and hell it will even be reliable once all the electronics are removed haha