A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well.... removed my intake.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well.... removed my intake.

For reference and searching, this is a 2007 US spec Audi S8 D3 with 137,000 miles, daily driver.

Have an oil leak coming from under the intake, so finally got the courage to pull it. Oil was literally pouring out, so didn't have much choice. Found lots of carbon and pieces of plastic on top of some intake valves.

Plastic on top of valve.
Mmmmmmm carbon.
Some more.
And more.

So now the decision becomes, fix the oil leak and put it back together. Or.....do intake, injectors, valve cover gaskets, plugs, coils, carbon clean, etc, etc.

Last edited by 3RDGENFRANK; 03-05-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added model, year, and mileage.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, spend the money and do everything. Very easy right now. I took everything apart, replaced all gaskets and parts except fuel injectors. And now I have a bad fuel injector, so I get to do it all over again!

Yours looks exactly like how mine looked, oil everywhere.

My post here...
Intake manifold
Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Intake is junk as well.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did this job on my S8. I had a misfire on multiple cylinders do to plastic pieces sitting on top of valves. I didn’t do anything to the injectors. So far everything seams to be running smoothly.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Well...

Originally Posted by 3RDGENFRANK
Have an oil leak coming from under the intake, so finally got the courage to pull it. Oil was literally pouring out, so didn't have much choice. Found lots of carbon and pieces of plastic on top of some intake valves.

Plastic on top of valve.
Mmmmmmm carbon.
Some more.
And more.

So now the decision becomes, fix the oil leak and put it back together. Or.....do intake, injectors, valve cover gaskets, plugs, coils, carbon clean, etc, etc.
...if you do all that, may I suggest:

https://jhmotorsports.com/products/e...8-fsi-v10.html
Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Getting cleaner.

Before.
After.
After.
Used Berryman B-12 Chemtool full strength to break down the carbon and oil deposits. It works really well, but it will melt gloves, plastic screwdriver handles, etc. I bought a dentist style pick set from Harbor Freight that works well for getting around the valves and in crevices. Parts should be here Tuesday. I found my Fine Oil Separator/PCV valve was leaking along a seam, so still have to order it. Was going to get rebuilt injectors from JH Motorsport, but they had none in stock. Rock Auto has OEM Hitachi's for $93 each.

Anything else I should replace since I've got it down to this level? Already doing intake, oil filter housing gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plugs, oil separator, injectors, and valley pan gasket.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Before.
After.
After.
Used Berryman B-12 Chemtool full strength to break down the carbon and oil deposits. It works really well, but it will melt gloves, plastic screwdriver handles, etc. I bought a dentist style pick set from Harbor Freight that works well for getting around the valves and in crevices. Parts should be here Tuesday. I found my Fine Oil Separator/PCV valve was leaking along a seam, so still have to order it. Was going to get rebuilt injectors from JH Motorsport, but they had none in stock. Rock Auto has OEM Hitachi's for $93 each.

Anything else I should replace since I've got it down to this level? Already doing intake, oil filter housing gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plugs, oil separator, injectors, and valley pan gasket.
Do you have part numbers for all these except intake itself?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Part Numbers ordered so far.

RockAuto for Fuel Injectors
AudiUSAparts.com
Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Valley Pan Gasket and Fine Oil Separator/PCV valve.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Valley Pan Gasket and Fine Oil Separator/PCV valve.
Thank you

Quick Reply: Well.... removed my intake.