A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Additive Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:36 AM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What Additive Do You Use?

I've been using Lucus Oil Fuel Treatment, 8 ounces at fill ups to keep the fuel system clean and smooth. I buy the 1 gallon and keep it in the trunk for a regular additive to combat upper cylinder issues from ethanal and bad gas. It seems to be working good.

What about you? Fuel additive? Oil additive? Transmission, differentials?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use Top Tier gasoline you shouldn't need an additive.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why? The Lucas stuff is snake oil btw, about the only fuel additive that will do anything will have to have PEA in it. Only 3m and chevron make ones with PEA.

Last edited by halik; 12-23-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

None. I just use 5W-40 motor oil with the VW designation. Usually Total, Castrol or Valvoline.

Transmission and differentials still have the factory fill. My '04 has 231,000 miles on it.

Never add anything to my fuel either,. Usually use regular fuel although I was running Sinclair premium at Bonneville. Many old threads about which fuel to use. I was branded a cheapskate for buying an A8 but not using premium. That was when the difference was 20¢/gallon for regular vs. premium. Now the difference is 30¢/gallon. Still running regular even though I paid $1.93 yesterday in Toledo. Photo shows why E-85 sales have recently ground to a halt.

Check out my Bonneville album in my profile from this past Summer when the car had only 216,000 miles. Runs pretty good for never using any additives.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-23-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Always running premium fuel with the occasional dose of Chevron with techron cleaner.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
None. I just use 5W-40 motor oil with the VW designation. Usually Total, Castrol or Valvoline.

Transmission and differentials still have the factory fill. My '04 has 231,000 miles on it.

Never add anything to my fuel either,. Usually use regular fuel although I was running Sinclair premium at Bonneville. Many old threads about which fuel to use. I was branded a cheapskate for buying an A8 but not using premium. That was when the difference was 20¢/gallon for regular vs. premium. Now the difference is 30¢/gallon. Still running regular even though I paid $1.93 yesterday in Toledo. Photo shows why E-85 sales have recently ground to a halt.

Check out my Bonneville album in my profile from this past Summer when the car had only 216,000 miles. Runs pretty good for never using any additives.

I bet you're getting misfires, they're just under the threshold to trip CEL. My fiancee accidentally put 87 into our A4 and it tripped right away (multiple misfires).

E85 has always been an asinine premise for 90% of people.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
I bet you're getting misfires, they're just under the threshold to trip CEL. My fiancee accidentally put 87 into our A4 and it tripped right away (multiple misfires).

E85 has always been an asinine premise for 90% of people.
If I'm getting misfires, I can live with them as I never have acceleration problems nor do I get CEL's. The only time I did was when one coil pack failed.

I agree with the E-85 statement; It represented a value when regular was $4 and E-85 was $3 though.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owned the car since 07 never used any additives. How long have you been running regular gas for? Im curious to know if you can tell any diff in MPG, power loss/ etc
Old 12-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have the cam tensioner noise at startup or did you fix it some how?

Entertaining a suggestion of running oil cleaner through the car through wide range of RPMs/Gears to hypothetically get into the clogged drain in that pump and then change oil immediately. I may try this as it seems pretty relevant to owners changing oil brands/formulas. Atleast its worth a shot before replacing timing chain guides/pump only to still hear it like other owners have reported.

I've also personally used fuel treatment by Chevron/Techron in a couple vehicles and I feel a slight improvement in the smoothness in acceleration through the range of RPMS and maybe less vibration at idle. Used sea foam once on my first 240sx and it didn't hurt a thing either; think I was trying to solve a timing chain tick but it didn't work.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default None except Techron, w/ Tier 1 gas

Techron maybe every 3-5K miles. When I did a head rebuild on the 2000 A6 4.2, I found minor deposits on valves at 100K+. When I had intake off of W12 to do spark plugs recently (around 105K--easiest + cheapest way to get at them is pull the whole magnesium intake at its riser base), intake valves were pristine.

No additives in tranny ever; used to use MOS2 in manual gearboxes and diffs but that was way back in the mid 80s and pre synthetics.

Quick Reply: What Additive Do You Use?