A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could these parking sensor fault codes indicate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Try popping out grills around fog lights. You may be able to inspect it with mirror.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fog light grill idea, sadly, was unsuccessful so after the holidays I will remove the bumper for a more thorough inspection. I removed the grills and I was able to poke around, inspect some wiring harnesses, use my mirror and some lights, and didn't see anything amiss. I find the front bumper easier to remove than the rear so I'm grateful the problem resides up there rather than in the boot. Thanks again for the help and I'll post again when I get underway. Have a great Christmas.

-JT
Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

JT,
You have an 06, your car has graphical display, you should be able to see the front or the rear indicator. If none of them exist then it's the controller. If it's the front, you should also see where the sensors fail by looking at the graphical interface xxx-283 C.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Solved

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to report that the parking sensors are working again. The problem was the sensors themselves and VCDS was unable to tell me which one, just giving the codes at the top of this thread.

The solution was to put the car in REVERSE, pull out all the front sensors, and then to put one in and listen for the click. Then swap another sensor into the same plug and listen for the click again, and so on, until the faulty sensor was identified.

A compounding problem was that one of the working sensors would quit working after about 5 minutes, requiring a smack with a small tool to get it working again, only to have it fail soon again. That sensor needed to be replaced as well.

Now, with four good sensors, the system works perfectly.

-JT
Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
JT,
You have an 06, your car has graphical display, you should be able to see the front or the rear indicator. If none of them exist then it's the controller. If it's the front, you should also see where the sensors fail by looking at the graphical interface xxx-283 C.

Cheers,

Louis
I don't have VCDS, but I am having this problem. I get a long beep, the display flashes too fast to see it, then the parking button just flashes. Where is this controller located? I don't know if this matters but it was raining pretty hard last night on the way home and that's when it stopped working. I have an 06 btw.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

JGood, the odds are that you simply have a sensor that's bad. VCDS would likely tell you exactly which one. You could simply order one from Ebay for $30 and put it in (possibly having to remove a bumper, which isn't that hard).

I found that VCDS paid for itself after just avoiding a single trip to the dealer. Every dealer visit saved after that was money in the bank. With the savings I was also able to order quite a few commonly used tools as well.

But if VCDS cannot tell you which one then you would need to follow the steps listed in the thread above. The controller is in the trunk, driver's side, towards the wheel well. Three plugs go into it, two of them are the same size and one is different.

-JT
Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sweet thanks for the quick reply. I do plan on buying the VCDS but I guess now it is more of a must.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So my parking assist just started working again like normal. No intervention from me at all. Crazy.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JGood
Sweet thanks for the quick reply. I do plan on buying the VCDS but I guess now it is more of a must.
+1 will save you a ton of cash in the long run

Originally Posted by JGood
So my parking assist just started working again like normal. No intervention from me at all. Crazy.
Nanites.
D3's are infested with self-reparing nanites.
Had one.
My story, sticking to it....
Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have just bought a 2nd hand Audi A1 but the rest parking aid bleeps even when there is nothing behind. How can this be fixed?

Quick Reply: What could these parking sensor fault codes indicate?