A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it mean by engine seized?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it mean by engine seized?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...#ht_500wt_1182

I thought these engines are bullet proof.

Does anyone know what happened here?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by adobian
Does anyone know what happened here?
It may be best if you ask the seller. Could be any number of things. Expect a very large repair bill.

The "bulletproof" concept goes out the window when someone drives over a rock or fails to perform routine maintenance
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haha the best line in his description is where he states it has a seized engine, but it has a new timing belt!!

Piston engines can seize for a wide variety of reasons, so without getting details from the seller, it'd be impossible to speculate.

As to the attractiveness of buying this car, I wouldn't be interested. I bought a Porsche a couple years ago with a blown motor, which I then built and stuffed a monster motor into, but on a car like an A8, it's a project I wouldn't have the slightest interest in getting into.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Who needs motor oil?

Google/Wikipedia "Friction Welding" for an example of how an engine could seize.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rear suspension looks too low compared to front. Looks like a dog.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I saw that car this morning too and wondered the same thing.
Usually engine seized means something has locked it up and the engine won't turn over. Could be caused by anything, I initially suspected timing belt broke on it, but then I caught he said it has a new timing belt.

Could be the new timing belt was installed incorrectly. I find that more plausible than poor maintenance or lack of oil since old oil will increase engine wear but usually not seize it, and there should be all kinds of warning lights if it has leaked out. Not to mention sizable puddles that any owner would notice.

I don't really see these cars as good candidates for engine swaps. Audi 4.2L V8s aren't exactly common. The only other engine that might fit is the W12 which are even less common.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thing could have spun bearing, had timing belt failure, ran out of oil or coolant, overheated from a failed water pump- who knows.

There are used 4.2's out there, usually for $4k-$7k, and swapping in the V10 or W12 would be a job of ungodly proportions. Even swapping in a new 4.2 would be a huge undertaking. These cars aren't like 911's (where you can drop an engine in an afternoon by yourself).

Like I said, maybe if you GAVE me the car for free I'd take it- though I'd be significantly more inclined to just part it out rather than getting it going again.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Step away from the Audi Sir!

Walk away dude.

K9
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K9COP
Walk away dude.

K9
I agree. A car that does not have a running engine can have so many problems. You don't know if the transmission is toast also or anything else in the drivetrain. Rear suspension does look suspect also.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bmwm750
There are used 4.2's out there, usually for $4k-$7k, and swapping in the V10 or W12 would be a job of ungodly proportions. Even swapping in a new 4.2 would be a huge undertaking. These cars aren't like 911's (where you can drop an engine in an afternoon by yourself).
Oh yeah, I forgot about the V10. That would have to be even more difficult to find. The wiring and electronics of a completely different engine would definitely be far more challenging than even just getting it bolted in.

On the other hand, at least the core support is removable on these cars. On a lot of cars, it's not.

I wouldn't personally take on such a project, but I've heard of people who have taken on bigger projects.

Quick Reply: What does it mean by engine seized?