A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil brand do you use in your A8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
MP what is your preferred choice? I will be changing the oil for the first time (by myself) in the A8 pretty soon. I know that the Mobil 1 0w-40 "european formula" is a good compatible oil at a good price. I was wondering your thoughts on castrol edge 5w-30 http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2046_____. Probably will go with the Mobil 1 though.

Also saw this, was hoping it is a good oil compatible with our A8's as it is at a great price at wally world or at auto stores too. It is Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic oil. Mind you it comes in a gallon jug (4 quarts god I wish the US used metric like everyone else) not five like the mobil 1 and castrol. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2046_____ Read good reviews online but was wondering if you had any experience/ insight?

Thanks guys
Brozee, stop at any local S&G import parts. They sell Total brand oil in both common Audi viscosities and they bear the VW approval numbers. Fairly priced in one and five quart jugs. They used to sell them in one and five liter jugs but no more. For Metric, they sell Lubri-Moly Volle Synthes in 5w40 but it is quite a bit more money. Not sure if every location has the Lubri Moly, I know the main one on Eminem Road (8 Mile) in Farmington always has it. The other stores will have it next day for you or call and they will. Mann filters too. Have fun.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default "Still the Same..."

Still the same for me--

Mobil 1 0W40 since it has the 502/505 approval, it's in the long life group and if anything stretches the typical 5W-40 factory type spec down a bit more even for cold.

Or, if I am doing a change in the fall headed toward winter, then Castrol Edge Syntec OW-30. Still marked "European Formula" on the front label and when you look carefully at the back, indeed it says "Made in Germany." The labelling/naming has changed a bit from my last time posting, but that's the one. Available at Autozone, though somewhat erratically in my area. Also use this on the Mini turbo, since it calls for a 5W-30 and again I want cold flow as soon as possible. 0W-30 is the Euro factory spec for the W12, though w/ a hot summer season ahead of an oil change, that's when I'll go 0W-40.

And while the specs have vaporized that tie to the old Audi 503.xx extended rating which now folds into 504/507 and can't be found easily on any high volume U.S. available oil, I can see the generally parallel basic long life BMW/Mercedes specs on the bottles. Regardless of oil, if I don't see a long life spec from the big German guys and I consider even running to the full U.S. 10K Audi change cycle on a given car (even longer on a turbo Mini, which is brain dead to me), I move to the next product down the shelf and keep reading.

Yes, I've looked at the Rotella's, more for my older Audi, but I can never quite get past the "its a truck oil" in the end no matter what the ratings. If you a shopping price--a fair point--I do enough changes on my 4 car fleet plus one more family member car that I try to work the sales and keep some always on hand. Thus this year's spring deals got me the Castrol in the $5.50-$6 range/qt. and some "free" filters (K&N) I handed off to a brother in law for the old C4 A6. SAme on the last Mobil 1 sale back last fall where I stocked in a bunch, given the 13 qts/change baseline on a W12.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Great thanks for the replies. Totally forgot about that recommendation mr. Bally; thanks. Do you know if it is any cheaper than $36 for 5 qts though? Be sure to let me know when they are on sale one time. Too bad your not close to Mi, mp 4.2+6.0 you'd be a fun guy to pick your brain about things.

And the 4.2 standard is 9qts correct?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Great thanks for the replies. Totally forgot about that recommendation mr. Bally; thanks. Do you know if it is any cheaper than $36 for 5 qts though? Be sure to let me know when they are on sale one time. Too bad your not close to Mi, mp 4.2+6.0 you'd be a fun guy to pick your brain about things.

And the 4.2 standard is 9qts correct?
I have always used 8 quarts. I change mines about 7-8K miles. Hope Im not wrong...... Waiting for the veterans to reply.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
I have always used 8 quarts. I change mines about 7-8K miles. Hope Im not wrong...... Waiting for the veterans to reply.

8 quarts for my '04.

Total motor oil is advertised on the right field wall of Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I've asked my oil distributor the same question. He carries Mobile One, Castrol, and Penzoil. He said that Mobile one is the best among the three. That's one man's opinion. I stock both Penzoil and Mobile one but I use Mobile One 0W40
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Last few times S&G charged me $29.95 for the 5 quart jugs of Total 5w40 and $5.99 for the one quart bottle but I bought some along with the 5 quart size. I recall $6.79 when buying one one quart bottle. Also, the Mann oil filter was $18.27 .

They participate in the Auto Value website www.autoparts2020.com but show much higher prices there.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
I've asked my oil distributor the same question. He carries Mobile One, Castrol, and Penzoil. He said that Mobile one is the best among the three. That's one man's opinion. I stock both Penzoil and Mobile one but I use Mobile One 0W40
So which wireless provider are we referring to here? Last I checked "mobile" referred to a cell phone, while "Mobil" is a company that manufactures lubricants (among many other things).
Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

Yes, I've looked at the Rotella's, more for my older Audi, but I can never quite get past the "its a truck oil" in the end no matter what the ratings. If you a shopping price--a fair point--I do enough changes on my 4 car fleet plus one more family member car that I try to work the sales and keep some always on hand. Thus this year's spring deals got me the Castrol in the $5.50-$6 range/qt. and some "free" filters (K&N) I handed off to a brother in law for the old C4 A6. SAme on the last Mobil 1 sale back last fall where I stocked in a bunch, given the 13 qts/change baseline on a W12.
As far as Rotella (especially the T6 variant) being "truck oil," that's actually a pretty good thing- especially if you want to run an extended drain interval. Unlike all the modern car oils, the diesel oils still have quite a bit of ZDDP in them (good for bearings, bad for cats), and, being designed to keep diesel soot in suspension, tend to deal quite well with extended drain intervals.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use whatever is cheapest and VAG-approved as meeting the specs or claims to meet them but is a trusted brand. 507.00 or 506.01.

At the moment I have some GM Dexos II to use up, and then I have some Quantum-branded Castrol Edge from the dealer when it was on special offer.

I also like this online oil comparison tool...
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/.../pc/index.html

Last edited by snapdragon; 06-23-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply: What oil brand do you use in your A8?