A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What tires are you running?

I am in the need for a new set of tires...Currently have Hancook V12's 255/40/19. Anyone have any recommendations? I live in New England and drive the car during winter, so would like a little more traction in snow than I had with the Hancooks . I only got about 40K out of these Hancooks, would like to get more miles on the new set. Basically looking for a long lasting, nice, quiet riding tire. Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Pirelli P6 all seasons seem to be the best for the money. I'm going to down size from 19 to 17 next year (I have a perfect Audi A8 D2 set from my 98). I want more cushion on the wheels - 50's should be much better than 40's. I like comfort. Can't stand these low profiles - can't imagine how nice it would be with 50s on the tires.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Nitto Motivo's. 560 treadwear rating, 60k mile warranty, good quality tire at a decent price. Got them down to $235 each. I was going to wait for the pilot sport a/s 3's but they are coming out in september.

Also, Mike, I'd be happy with anything over 35k miles on any tire for the A8. My pilot sports only lasted 30, and my continental DWS set seems to be pretty nice as well; only pitfall is they have way too soft of a sidewall.

That is my reason for trying the motivo's, they are an all season tire with a good rating, good reviews and good price. The brand Nitto is actually made under Toyo tires. I will report on my results when I get them. FYI only place I could find them to buy is Discount Tire.

Last edited by Brozee; 04-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Intend to run TPMS?

From having looked at this in crossing by C5 RS6 wheels to the A8, do you intend to run TMPS? I had a similar idea for a set of snow wheels from a prior Audi model--the A6 4.2 in my case. On the C5's--contemporaries to the D2--I found the wheels were not machined at the valve stem to accept TPMS. It basically needs a flat area on the inside of the wheel barrel where the sensor nests in. TPMS was not around on Audis generally in the D2 and C5 era's. Without TPMS of course it doesn't matter w/ a std. rubber valve stem. Make sure they bolt on to the front too; they should since D3 calipers were sized on 4.2's to permit 17's, but just in case the inside wheel machining is a bit different from D2 to D3. Still should, since the old D2 and C5 4.2 HP2 brake calipers were quite bulky. On my W12 that accepts 18's, it is extremely close but just clears, and the RS6 wheels from the C5 did too.

BTW, if you are a fan of P6's, I have a set of very clean D3 OE 18's w/ OE P6's at 9/32's across the Bay from you. No TPMS currently. Those were going to be my snow rims (and should be corrrectly machined for TPMS), but I went in yet a different direction ultimately. Post offline if interested; or for others, SF Bay Area only.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-28-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Tried Kumhos this time. They suck. Almost worn out after 15,000 (40,000 warranty - do i want to pay the prorated cost to get another set of crappy tires?) Noisy as hell - I'm having to rotate them all the time to just keep the noise down. Ugh. Let me know how the Nittos work out. I may just go back to the Yoko Advan S4s - best tire I've had on this car.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
BTW, if you are a fan of P6's, I have a set of very clean D3 OE 18's w/ OE P6's at 9/32's across the Bay from you. No TPMS currently. Those were going to be my snow rims (and should be corrrectly machined for TPMS), but I went in yet a different direction ultimately. Post offline if interested; or for others, SF Bay Area only.
I'm thinking about 18" also, but 45's vs 40's may not change the ride that much. After the camera project is done, I'll remove the 19" and put on the 17" to see how they feel. I think the air suspension would last longer with smaller wheels and big cushions. I hate big wheels and low profiles - I know wheels are like shoes - Nice wheels make cars look nice, but big wheels? Any how, I'm too practical to see how nice these big wheels are, only see the bad side of them.

Let me know how much you want for your 18" and show some pics. I don't know if my wife will let me put another set of wheels and tires laying around the storage.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lgball
Tried Kumhos this time. They suck. Almost worn out after 15,000 (40,000 warranty - do i want to pay the prorated cost to get another set of crappy tires?) Noisy as hell - I'm having to rotate them all the time to just keep the noise down. Ugh. Let me know how the Nittos work out. I may just go back to the Yoko Advan S4s - best tire I've had on this car.

what kuhmo's do you have. I love my kuhmo ecsta asx's and have had a few sets of them. They last forever and run great in the snow..
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I have Kumho Ecstas, but I can't remember the actual model. It's always interesting to me that different folks have different experiences with the same tire. I don't know if it's driving style, environment or what, but I've sure been disappointed with these. Maybe I just got a bad set.

Likewise, I've loved my Yokos, but have had people tell me how bad they are. To each his own, I suppose.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lgball
I have Kumho Ecstas, but I can't remember the actual model. It's always interesting to me that different folks have different experiences with the same tire.
Nearly all of Kumho tyres are ECSTA somethings.
There are at least 15 models, I suppose those 15 models are going to have just about every conceivable combination of pros and cons or why would they bother differentiating?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a set of Khumo Ecsta something on my D2. I was running P255/40R19 but I can't remember the exact model. They were summer performance tires but they were so bad on the rain and cold, I took them off after about 6,000 miles. I got them because they were very cheap compared to the Michelin Sport Pilot PS2 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 I ran before. Sold the Khumos on Craigslist. Never again for me and I'm Korean.

Quick Reply: What tires are you running?