A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I hate NJ's numbnuts rules...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why I hate NJ's ******** rules...

Drove the W12 to NJ and back over the weekend for some family R&R.
Everything worked perfectly and the car clearly is *the* perfect long distance traveler.
On the way home we picked up a second car and therefore wife drove W12 and I drove the new car. On the Merrit parkway I get the dreaded call from her: "hey - there is check engine light on". Ugh...
Luckily I had the VCDS cable in the car and read the code: "EVAP System Large Leak Detected". There is a ticking noise from the EVAP valve under the hood.

Car still runs well, and it's EVAP after all, and there is no fuel leaking, so I decided to push on, and about 25 min later need to get gas.
Yup - no gas cap! Recall the mildly mentally challenged lady that pumped gas into he car before leaving Jersey and how she was talking to kids about dinner plans and what they liked in NJ. Maybe if she would have focused on her job instead of being "social"....

Bought a roll of duct tape, covered the filler pipe and reset the code. Drove another 80 mile and no code set when I checked at home. EVAP valve is silent again.

Had a friend that still was at the location in NJ - he stopped by the gas station and was shown a box (a BOX!) of gas caps that attendants had forgotten to replace. Found ours (yes - the attachment plastic cable has been broken for years - never an issue since you just set the cap on fuel filler door).

Wonder how many CEL that station by itself has caused?

Crazy - well, one day maybe even NJ will let people pump their own gas.....
Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Oregon does that too. I bought my car in Portland and then drove back to Montana. When I was leaving portland I stopped for fuel and got out of the car, opened the gas cap and was fumbling around in my pocket for my wallet when the guy finally came out and asked me what I was doing. Of course I just looked at him stupidly and said I was going to fill up my car. That's when he reminded me I can't pump my own gas. oops. I proceeded to watch him like a hawk as I didn't want gas spilled down the side of my car. Apparently I can't swipe my own card in the pump either. I really didn't want to hand him my card as he looked like a crack head. I understand that it creates low skill jobs but I still don't like it.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can (and should) swipe your own card at gas pumps in Oregon. If anybody tells you otherwise they are likely wanting your card for something else.

A new law recently passed in Oregon allowing those in 'rural' areas to pump their own gas. Not sure how they define rural...
Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
A new law recently passed in Oregon allowing those in 'rural' areas to pump their own gas. Not sure how they define rural...
Not a full set of teeth?

Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well this was a few months ago and no weird charges so fingers crossed. I try and avoid Oregon but Portland seems to be where I find the best deals on older Audi's. I bought my C5 and D3 there.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The one thing I always liked about NJ is the can't pump your own gas law. Especially nice in the winter time, never did leave without the cap, I'm sure it happens often enough, I was one of the fortunate ones living there for 20 years. Gas is cheaper in NJ than it is in NY, PA or DE too.

The other thing I liked was the stay to the right law. Had a few Garden State trooper friends there that loved to enforce it.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

The funny thing is...when I pull up to the diesel pumps in NJ with my Ford, well that's a different story. You can fill your diesel tanks all day\every day. Logic there?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I was reading the first post and was thinking gas cap. Don't know how many times we get customers come in with a CEL light. Pull codes and get a gross evap leak, and then find no gas cap.

I did not realize there are states where you can pump your own gas. A "trained" professional who was not paying attention and leaving my gas cap off while I was driving to another state would get my blood boiling.

Last edited by TSHong; 09-01-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm about 50/50 for pumping my own gas in Oregon, but I'm usually blasting through at night to California and don't stop till I'm well past Portland. I guess the locals are asleep by then, or don't bother once I'm out and they see the wa plates.

The few times they have pumped it for me is in Portland during the day where the attendant is usually awake. Still drives me crazy to pull up and have to wait for him to start another car first.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

WHAT in the name of???

That's hilarious that you can't pump your own gas, well you fellow Americans are so special anyway!

I want to see the gas station attendant, that fills up my gas tank to full.

When the Computer says 0km left, you can fill it up with 104,5L. 85L goes in easilly, then the last 20L By "clicking".

I don't like anybody to fill my tank, just because they loose the filler cap, or spill gas all over the car, or they don't get it filled properly to full.

Quick Reply: Why I hate NJ's numbnuts rules...