A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint

I've wanted to get the windows tinted on my 06 A8L (Black/Amaretto) , but was seriously questioning if I would ever do it after reading through the prior posts about the difficulty of getting this right on an A8. I saw posts about forcing the rear headrests out, breaking the collars that hold them in, pulling the entire rear deck (I have the power sunshade) and even one terrible pic where the tinter didn't get the tint on the lower 3" of the back window because of the rear deck.

I'm in CT and it seemed like the only way to do this was to drive to NY and pay the big bucks ($350-$500) for Huper Optik. Not really ever getting around to scheduling that, I made an impulse call last week to a local place that had a couple decent reviews online. I told them I wanted tint with a lifetime warranty (they have a better than standard Sun-Gard), that it wasn't worth it to me if they weren't 100% confident they could do it. I told them about the headrest issues and the tight space between the window and the rear deck. I even suggested forums that talked about the right tools and procedures to use. They sounded completely confident and said to bring it in... And quoted only $180, which scared me almost to the point of not doing it. No savings is worth any damage to the car and the quote was way too low.

So I picked up the car on Monday afternoon, and it looks awesome. I still can't believe it. And they didn't pull the headrests or the rear deck. So if you're looking for a bargain on tint (that wasn't my original intent but it worked out very well) I highly recommend Speed of Sound in Ansonia. The location is incredibly shady, but they did an incredible job.

And (more importantly) if you're not in CT the moral of this story is that a qualified installer can do a great job without pulling the headrests or the rear deck, and without charging the high price of admission that some of these guys get.

And I'm not knocking those prices if it's going towards the film. If you need the excellent heat rejection that a Huper level film provides then by all means that's the way to go.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quality installer won't have a problem. My installer uses computer laser cut 3m film

and did an awesome job. it was only 260 as well.