A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window won't roll up

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window won't roll up

When I roll my window up it rolls back down 2 inches and stays there. Anyone know why? Or how to fix it?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmm, could just be the safety feature. You may find that the glass is 'pinching' in the rubber/felt track somewhere.Try lubricating the tracks with something like chain lube or WD40 and see if that frees it up. My '8 did the same thing on the back doors, and also our A6 did it on one of the fronts. Other than that, maybe an adjustment question in that the window thinks it has not rolled all the way up when it reaches the top of the frame and thus thinks it has met an obstruction. Anything changed about the window recently? Apart from the failure....

K9

Originally Posted by AudiJinkins
When I roll my window up it rolls back down 2 inches and stays there. Anyone know why? Or how to fix it?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No nothing has changed, they've worked fine up till now. It's the front drivers window btw. How do I get to the tracks to lube them up?

Originally Posted by K9COP
Hmm, could just be the safety feature. You may find that the glass is 'pinching' in the rubber/felt track somewhere.Try lubricating the tracks with something like chain lube or WD40 and see if that frees it up. My '8 did the same thing on the back doors, and also our A6 did it on one of the fronts. Other than that, maybe an adjustment question in that the window thinks it has not rolled all the way up when it reaches the top of the frame and thus thinks it has met an obstruction. Anything changed about the window recently? Apart from the failure....

K9
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

If you don't have VCDS diagnostics which you can clear faults with, try disconnecting the vehicle battery for on minute then reconnect. You will experience rough idling until you drive the car but this may fix your window issue.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! I'll give that a try. That's my usual fix for anything, turn it off and turn it back on.

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
If you don't have VCDS diagnostics which you can clear faults with, try disconnecting the vehicle battery for on minute then reconnect. You will experience rough idling until you drive the car but this may fix your window issue.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Try that first, but...

if not, a guess is you may have a broken window guide--that ultimately fastens the window glass to the relevant tracks. If one side breaks, the glass gets cockeyed as it goes up with the force of the motor. Down doesn't tend to be an issue. If so, door has to be disassembled to get the frame out and then get to the guide, or at least that's how they used to be. Not a casual DIY; I've done it but for most it's probably a body shop trip.

A way to get a sense if this is the issue is to roll the window about halfway down. Grab the glass w/ your hands. If you can move it in the window frame and the angle on one side increases or decreases, or it simply moves up and down some on one side, that's likely a broken guide. Also, if so, you can get the window all the way up as an interim measure if you "help" it along by putting some force in the closing direction toward the side that seems to be loose as you run the motor/switch upward.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had this same issue before. Left the car for 5 hours and it fixed itself. Was a fluke thing for me.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got up this morning, was going to unhook from the battery, and messed around with it and moved it a little at a time and it finally closed all the way and worked again. I did roll it down to see if it was uneven or off track or anything and nothing seemed out of place or loose, and didn't seem like anything was pinching or potentially blocking the window, all I know is I don't think I'll be rolling that window down for a while!

Immediately went and washed my car in fear I might not be able to with the window down for a while
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default for future reference

Seems like I read in an SSP (or the owner's manual) that the windows use feedback from the (window) motor to sense obstructions, but to override that safety feature one holds the switch in the desired direction. Also applies to sunroof.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I had this same issue before. Left the car for 5 hours and it fixed itself. Was a fluke thing for me.
Is it disconcerting to anyone else how these cars seem to spontaneously heal many problems? It reminds me of the reputation Italian cars have for having personalities! Whoever says that German cars have no souls has never owned an Audi!

Quick Reply: Window won't roll up