A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window won't roll up? Only from drivers side?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Window won't roll up? Only from drivers side?

I've had an odd problem like this before, the passenger window would roll down but not up all the way, so I left the car alone for an hour and all was fine. This was a year ago.

Today I went to roll down my passenger side window after the beach and it rolled down fine. Go to roll it up and it won't come up. Although; this is only from the drivers side panel, when using the passenger switch, the window rolls up and down perfect. The drivers controls work perfect on all windows except the passenger window roll up function?

Any clues?
I'm just going to let it sit like a few hours like before I'm sure its just a small glitch and will be fine soon.

Update: An hour later still the same problem. It doesn't even sound like the car is trying to roll up the window from the driver's side. I don't hear a click or anything, I'll check it in the morning. Fingers crossed x

Last edited by Brozee; 08-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I've had an odd problem like this before, the passenger window would roll down but not up all the way, so I left the car alone for an hour and all was fine. This was a year ago.

Today I went to roll down my passenger side window after the beach and it rolled down fine. Go to roll it up and it won't come up. Although; this is only from the drivers side panel, when using the passenger switch, the window rolls up and down perfect. The drivers controls work perfect on all windows except the passenger window roll up function?

Any clues?
I'm just going to let it sit like a few hours like before I'm sure its just a small glitch and will be fine soon.

Update: An hour later still the same problem. It doesn't even sound like the car is trying to roll up the window from the driver's side. I don't hear a click or anything, I'll check it in the morning. Fingers crossed x
I'v had my driver's door switch work erratically on the front passenger door several years ago. After finding out the price of the switch, I decided to move the switch back & forth hard a few hundred times. It has worked fine for me ever since.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn now I'm scares I think it's the switch. Is it the whole switch that needs to replaced or just the one that controls the passenger window?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm pretty positive beneath my switch it isn't making good contact, when I push the button in on the inner part of the switch and pull up it works, but not on a regular pull. I have to take my car in to have my control arm bushings that are supposedly bad replaced too. Although, depending on how much its going to cost I might just leave em. How much does the switch normally cost?

Last edited by Brozee; 08-19-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I'm pretty positive beneath my switch it isn't making good contact, when I push the button in on the inner part of the switch and pull up it works, but not on a regular pull. I have to take my car in to have my control arm bushings that are supposedly bad replaced too. Although, depending on how much its going to cost I might just leave em. How much does the switch normally cost?
It's one switch assembly that CONtrols all four windows. Last time I checked, it was $79 at a dealer. I really don't want to take the door panel off because I know I will create a rattle or squeak. The car is 7 1/2 years old and still no squeaks and I don't want any as they drive me nuts.

If, IF I were to take the door panel off to get at the switch; I know I'd take it apart and clean the dirty or fix the worn contacts/worn circuit board traces and not buy a new switch. Even "sealed" switches can be cut open with a dremel tool and then glued back together. BTDT.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After playing with it a bit I can get it to roll up with the drivers side, as long as i pull up on the switch hard using the "auto roll up" feature. Doesn't bother me too much at all. I would only replace if it affected the driver side window.

Thanks for the tip mister!