A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XCarLink Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XCarLink Installation

Does anyone know how to properly install this in a D3 S8? The tutorials I've found on here don't match my vehicle or adapter, and the manual link they provided is defunct and they are unresponsive to all my outreach attempts.
Audi 2G MMI MOST Fiber Optic Bluetooth Streaming/AUX Interface
Old 01-24-2023, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rheplo
Does anyone know how to properly install this in a D3 S8? The tutorials I've found on here don't match my vehicle or adapter, and the manual link they provided is defunct and they are unresponsive to all my outreach attempts.
Audi 2G MMI MOST Fiber Optic Bluetooth Streaming/AUX Interface
I'm not sure if any of this generic type instructions would help. It worked for me in the end using the Ivery Airduel 2G Bluetooth adapter which displays songs and radio programs on the MMI screen when other instructions failed. From memory the difference might have been having a song already playing when doing the first pairing, per the instructions below.

So in the end it was some instructions contained within Amazon reviews that helped. Mine was the Airduel as I mentioned, but these instructions got it working. Obviously ignore the brand name of the adapter when it is mentioned in these instructions and look for the name of your adapter. Hope it helps.

READ CAREFULLY if you're having problems getting this to work with the Audi MMI: First, remove the wireless adapter and set it aside. With the vehicle running or key in accessory position, enter the MMI console and *DISABLE* entirely any/all bluetooth connectivity, remove all paired devices, including the custom name of your vehicle if you changed it, and do a complete reset/factory default via controls. (You can add your contacts back in later.) Turn off the car's main head unit by press and hold on power until only the opening screen appears. Remove the key. Next, enter the routine for pairing on your smartphone. I'm using an iPhoneX for reference. Without any power or accessories on, plug in the wireless unit. Turn the ignition to on and verify the blue light is flashing. On your smartphone, scan for available bluetooth devices - the unit will show up as Tune2Air even though the car's bluetooth is disabled. (Remember, this device is its own bluetooth receiver, independent of the built in automobile interface. At this point, DO NOT enable bluetooth on the MMI console. Go to Source on the console and scroll to the bottom of the list. The name you've given your smartphone should appear (remember, the car's bluetooth is still NOT turned on.) Select this option as your source. This next step is important: You must begin playing music or any stored audio signal (streaming works too if you're set up with YouTubeMusic, etc. ) through your smartphone's speakers. When prompted, enter/accept the default pairing code (0 0 0 0). The Tune2Air option should now appear on your smartphone. Press the Tune2Air tab and the output is engaged through your car's system. That simple. The configuration will be stored and automatically connect when you're in range. At this point, you can enable the bluetooth option through the console and add in your phone to actually...you know...make a phone call. I have read about a lot of people becoming very frustrated with the wirless adapter and just returning them. Don't give up so fast - it does require jumping through a few hoops to get everybody to play nice together, but the rock solid performance and sound quality is worth it. My only suggestion would be a software or firmware upgrade to allow more information to transfer to the display. Presently, it varies depending on the where the metadata is stored and sometimes no title appears. Others include title, album, etc. I am VERY satisfied with this device. Wish the instructions out of the box were a little more clear.

Also this one:

Worked like a charm in 2009 Audi S5 with MMI 2g and iPhone 6 ios 9.02. I didn't experience any of the issues everyone else complained. The main thing was getting the device to read upon first pairing. Here is what I did.
1) turn off blue tooth on your car
2) forget device audi mmi on your iphone
3) plug in wma 3000a into glove box
4) locate tune2air and pair and add it to your iphone
5) turn on blue tooth on your car
6) locate and pair and add your audi mmi device to your iphone
7) try and play music through tune2air , it didn't work for me at first as it said it couldn't initialize my iphone when I went to media/aux ... so I turned off my car left it for about 20 minutes

Old 01-26-2023, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, but I don't have AMI and my adapter in question is a hard wired adapter so these instructions aren't applicable - but I very much appreciate your input and willingness to help. Thank you!!
Old 01-26-2023, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

No problem Rhett,
I followed the link which took me to a UK site so maybe using google.uk would give you more hits than google.com or purely weight of numbers from more people over there in the UK installing them.
It seemed there was at least one audiworld forum member who installed a unit without a AMI.
Searching using google.uk a video from 2013 pops up for an earlier version, but maybe there's a few basic elements in the video that will help on how some of the connectors are set up. It looks like a lot of work.

If you cant get it going I noticed the used AMI units are down to around $150 [+ adding a regular plug and play gen2 adapter] but hopefully you can get your unit up and running.
Be interesting to see what the video looks like on the factory D3 screen. At some stage I'd like to update the quality of my factory screen for the back up camera but it's not a high priority and not having a screen that folds away or one that looks aftermarket doesn't really interest me. From my very shallow understanding, the screen itself needs to be changed to get contemporary good quality video.

Best,
Rob.

https://audisrs.com/xcarlink-not-wor...55852-s15.html
Old 01-26-2023, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, Rob. I actually came across this info today. The video uses a different adapter than mine, actually.

Using the info from this thread, I've gotten about halfway through: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...a-mmi-2791080/
I went into my dash and I have successfully connected the optical wires to the cd changer. What is remaining, however, is what is giving me trouble; Two wire harnesses remain: the first has a red, black, and orange wire - I understand what to do with the red and black, but can't figure out where to connect the orange wire; the second harness has a single pink wire. I'm at a loss. I'm sure a wiring diagram would come in handy if I could find one