A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 A8 may have new 4.0 turbo V8 with 400-hp...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 726 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Victoryroad
I share your concerns. The Panamera 4S is very different from the D4 and much more money.
Unfortunately, I've been told that Audi will be very aggressive on D4 pricing. Dealers were recently informed that the base A8L MSRP could possibly be MB S550 (4 wheel drive model) MSRP plus one dollar. That would put the D4 LWB at around $92K---taking a well optioned A8L to the $100K level---probably around $5K less for the NWB A8. The Panamera 4S will still cost out more than the A8, but the gap will likely be narrowed.

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-05-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
...according to Inside Line. I think I'd be really ticked off if I re-upped with the new D4 in April when my current D3 lease ends, only to find out that the 372-hp normally aspirated 4.2 litre V8 will be upgraded in 6-months to the Turbocharged 400-hp 4.0 litre V8.

Audi A8
2012 Audi A8: After a full redesign in 2011, Audi may upgrade the A8's base engine from a normally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 to a turbocharged, direct-injection 4.0-liter V8 with around 400 horsepower.

2014 Audi A8: Look for a minor midcycle refresh for the 2014 model year.

(Source: Edmund's Inside Line - Aug 3, 2010)

If true, you'd think they would have introduced the new V8 to coincide with the D4 launch, and not let buyers of the cars produced in the 1st model year feel their purchase is in any way antiquated by the start of MY #2. Not good marketing, IMHO --- and may lead me in other directions when my current lease ends.
I agree this would be disappointing if you own a 2011 A8.

It doesn't take much deductive reasoning to conclude that the new A8 is not quite ready for prime-time, with so many potential additions possibly ready to go for 2012:

400 hp supercharged engine
electromechanical steering
heads-up display
Stop-and-go

And who knows what else?

Sounds a little like Apple coming out with a launch version to sell to early-adopter/fan-boys, and then upgrading it so much right away that they have to turn around and buy it again.

It also brings up the question of whether it's worth the mega-depreciation hit to pony up $90k+ for a new Audi that will be technologically obsolete in less than one year.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Typical Audi/VW model introduction. ALWAYS a HP increase the 2nd year of a new model. Look at past history of A4's and A6's and A8's. Of course the S models came available three years or more after a model intro. Just look at the D2 and D3 A8's; S Models a few years after model introductions.

I'm eagerly awaiting the VW 2011 New Beetle. However, I know that 2012 and 2013 will offer a an upgraded engine choice.

To those with leases, can't you offer to extend your lease by six months or so? Or, by a junker to get you around until the '12's are available? It'll make the delivery of the new car that much better.

I had my '04 D3 in my garage for three weeks to finally change my timing belt after the thermostat crapped out. Drove my Beetle turbo all that time. Test driving the A8 after my son & I completed the repairs was a real treat for me. I took it to work for the next four days before slumming it in the bug today. A8 tomorrow for me ;o)
Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The question for me is not so much the resale value after a few years, but will I be happy with it for the next 5-6 years. I figure that by the time I get ready to sell it the differneces between the 2011 and 2012 will not have that much an influence on the resale.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Emauss
The question for me is not so much the resale value after a few years, but will I be happy with it for the next 5-6 years. I figure that by the time I get ready to sell it the differneces between the 2011 and 2012 will not have that much an influence on the resale.
Actually, the normally aspirated non-turbo engine might be a positive re-sale factor: there could be a "fear factor" regarding a 5 to 6 year old turbocharger verus a non-turbo engine for potential buyers---that is if you'd sell the car yourself vs. trading it in.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Typical Audi/VW model introduction. ALWAYS a HP increase the 2nd year of a new model. Look at past history of A4's and A6's and A8's. Of course the S models came available three years or more after a model intro. Just look at the D2 and D3 A8's; S Models a few years after model introductions.

To those with leases, can't you offer to extend your lease by six months or so?

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here---at least not yet. The engine upgrade is only some educated speculation at this point as far as we know.

However the fact that the normally aspirated 4.2 motor is vanishing from some Audi S-models may be further evidence of Audi's plans to optimize fuel consumption stats throughout their vehicle line-up---to maximize horsepower/torque curves via superchargeing/turbocharging smaller (lighter weight) displacement engine platforms. Much of what I've been reading about the upcoming S8 suggests that the 10-cylinder block is being replaced by a twin turocharged 4.0 engine, so a single turbo in a tuned-down version of the same engine might make some sense, at least economically for Audi.

And yes, looking to extend the current lease another 6-months would be perfect---however in the past I've only been able to get them to do a 3-month extension...but we'll see.

Have fun in the A8 this weekend!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Victoryroad
I share your concerns. The Panamera 4S is very different from the D4 and much more money. It actually feels more like a Carrera 4S than a sedan, as unlikely as that may seem. The Pan rear end design is the major impediment however, especially given the premium price of the 4S. I am inclined to wait to see the A7, which according to AutoWeek and Motor Trend will have the D4 4.2 engine. My D3 lease is up in Oct and I am not inclined to rush to the D4, especially with the probability that Audi will upgrade the engine, which they should have done at launch. You may recall that there was speculation over a year ago about a 400 hp turbo charged V8 in the new D4, so it is not surprising that this rumor or news has resurfaced. After all, even though Audi is not in the hp war, the A8 cannot be allowed to be that far behind BMW and MB in big sedan power. Yes, the D4 is noticeably better dynamically than the recent D3, but not the quantum difference offered by the Pan 4S. The information about the A7 is that it will have basically the same technology and options as the D4 so if the design is appealing in person it will be very tough competition for the D4.
Again, supercharged, NOT turbocharged gasoline V8. Twin turbocharged V8 will be diesel.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually, the normally aspirated non-turbo engine might be a positive re-sale factor: there could be a "fear factor" regarding a 5 to 6 year old turbocharger verus a non-turbo engine for potential buyers---that is if you'd sell the car yourself vs. trading it in.
Yet again, supercharged, NOT turbocharged gasoline V8. Twin turbocharged V8 will be diesel.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here---at least not yet. The engine upgrade is only some educated speculation at this point as far as we know.

However the fact that the normally aspirated 4.2 motor is vanishing from some Audi S-models may be further evidence of Audi's plans to optimize fuel consumption stats throughout their vehicle line-up---to maximize horsepower/torque curves via superchargeing/turbocharging smaller (lighter weight) displacement engine platforms. Much of what I've been reading about the upcoming S8 suggests that the 10-cylinder block is being replaced by a twin turocharged 4.0 engine, so a single turbo in a tuned-down version of the same engine might make some sense, at least economically for Audi.

And yes, looking to extend the current lease another 6-months would be perfect---however in the past I've only been able to get them to do a 3-month extension...but we'll see.

Have fun in the A8 this weekend!!!
For the S8 (and, if Audi decides to bring them to market, the RS 6 and RS 7), the force fed gasoline V8 will be a supercharged 4.2 (NOT turbocharged, twin turbocharged and so on and certainly NOT 4.0 or any other displacement that is not 4.2). The twin turbocharged V8 in the S8 will be a diesel 4.2 (no other displacements).

The supercharged (NOT TURBOCHARGED OF ANYKIND) gasoline and twin turbocharged diesel V8s in the S6, S7, A8 and A8L will be 4L (no displacements other than 4.0 for these Audis).

These V8s in the S8 and, if applicable, the RS 6 and RS 7 would have to have larger displacements, higher pounds per square inch for the forced induction, higher peak horsepower, higher peak torque, a wider peak horsepower curve and a wider peak torque curve than these same V8s in the S6, S7, A8 and A8L, given the luxury, performance and price classes, target markets and targeted buyers, financers and leasers of the S6, RS 6, S7, RS 7, A8, A8L and S8.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default According to INSIDE LINE...

Audi A8
  • 2012 Audi A8: After a full redesign in 2011, Audi may upgrade the A8's base engine from a normally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 to a turbocharged, direct-injection 4.0-liter V8 with around 400 horsepower.
  • 2014 Audi A8: Look for a minor midcycle refresh for the 2014 model year.
This is in keeping with the BMW 4.4 twin turbo offered in the 750i series.

Personally I would prefer a supoercharger to a turbo charger....and I would really like to see a TDI A8 here in the States...

Quick Reply: 2012 A8 may have new 4.0 turbo V8 with 400-hp...