A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 A8L 4.2 Transmission and Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A8L 4.2 Transmission and Engine Problems

I have about 3500 miles on my 2013 A8L 4.2. In December I took it in two or three time because I was had intermittent hard downshifts were accelerating moderately from 25 to 35 mph. Finally, after staying at the dealership for about six weeks, the replaced the FUEL INJECTORS (????) and it did solve the problem.

Now, again intermittently, the car has a slight but definite miss on moderate to hard acceleration. It feels like a spark plug is misfiring. In addition, once again intermittently, when coming to a stop, just before I come to a halt, I experience a "bump," perhaps on the last downshift. Or, upon pulling away from a stop, the I feel a definite bump, as if the transmission stopped in second and downshifts to first when I give it some throttle.

One of the Audi service advisers told me a few weeks ago that the adoptive transmission was "kwirky." That's reassuring!

I have owned numerous luxury cars over the past 30 years, and engine and transmission roughness is a new experience. It is again at the dealership for "updates." But this is getting old.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by paddock_rat
I have about 3500 miles on my 2013 A8L 4.2. In December I took it in two or three time because I was had intermittent hard downshifts were accelerating moderately from 25 to 35 mph. Finally, after staying at the dealership for about six weeks, the replaced the FUEL INJECTORS (????) and it did solve the problem.

Now, again intermittently, the car has a slight but definite miss on moderate to hard acceleration. It feels like a spark plug is misfiring. In addition, once again intermittently, when coming to a stop, just before I come to a halt, I experience a "bump," perhaps on the last downshift. Or, upon pulling away from a stop, the I feel a definite bump, as if the transmission stopped in second and downshifts to first when I give it some throttle.

One of the Audi service advisers told me a few weeks ago that the adoptive transmission was "kwirky." That's reassuring!

I have owned numerous luxury cars over the past 30 years, and engine and transmission roughness is a new experience. It is again at the dealership for "updates." But this is getting old.
You have a 2013 A8 with a 4.2 V8???? I suppose you mean a 4.0T V8, yes?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Smile

Originally Posted by derfA8L
You have a 2013 A8 with a 4.2 V8???? I suppose you mean a 4.0T V8, yes?
I stand corrected. Memory is not as good as 30 years ago!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I stand corrected. Memory is not as good as 30 years ago!
Your car was at the dealership for 6 weeks! Holy Cow! I trust they provided a loaner during that period! That is totally unacceptable for anything short of a complete rebuild! If this problem persists, lemon laws should be kicking in!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Your car was at the dealership for 6 weeks! Holy Cow! I trust they provided a loaner during that period! That is totally unacceptable for anything short of a complete rebuild! If this problem persists, lemon laws should be kicking in!
This was not an inconvenience as I was out of town and did not need the car during any of that time. That said, yes, I understand that from a time standpoint, I already qualify to lemon the car. But the reality is that what I really want is my car fixed so it runs smoothly and puts a smile on my face. Now that I am in town, the car is at the dealership for an indeterminate amount of time, and I have an A6 loaner (runs smoother than my A8, by the way), I will not have the same patience I had with the last visit to Audi service.

If I pursued a lemon law claim, my problem is that I would not trust going to another A8L 4.0T, but I don't want a 750, S Class, or XJ. Maybe an upgrade to an A8L W12 if they would not rip my head off with the cost. The problem is my preference would still be an A8L 4.0T, but only if it were to run properly without my wife turning to me and saying, "Why is the car doing that?"
Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

This was not an inconvenience as I was out of town and did not need the car during any of that time. That said, yes, I understand that from a time standpoint, I already qualify to lemon the car. But the reality is that what I really want is my car fixed so it runs smoothly and puts a smile on my face. Now that I am in town, the car is at the dealership for an indeterminate amount of time, and I have an A6 loaner (runs smoother than my A8, by the way), I will not have the same patience I had with the last visit to Audi service.

If I pursued a lemon law claim, my problem is that I would not trust going to another A8L 4.0T, but I don't want a 750, S Class, or XJ. Maybe an upgrade to an A8L W12 if they would not rip my head off with the cost. The problem is my preference would still be an A8L 4.0T, but only if it were to run properly without my wife turning to me and saying, "Why is the car doing that?"
Understand. I am starting to get a little more than concerned though as our new A8L 4.0T is due any day and it seems there are a lot of issues cropping up with the transmission, throttle hesitation and MMI issues. Having owned Audis before, I know they can be a great car or a pain the backside. Hope you get your issues resolved soon.