A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 A8L Off Idle Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same hesitation issue on my '13, which was not present on my '12 A8 SWB with the 4.2. Rolling stops don't generate this problem, just complete stops. The dealer first told me this was the first they'd heard of this problem, then later said it was built-in on purpose to take the edge off of the big power of the 4.0T engine. Right.

It is indeed dangerous in that nothing happens for a couple of seconds, often when you need the power. If you don't feather the pedal with very light pressure, it comes on with a big bang, which then: a) spills your coffee, b) makes your passengers think you just learned how to drive, and c) makes other drivers around you think you just learned how to drive. At the very least, it's a huge nuisance. None of my previous cars have had this problem, and my wife's BMW doesn't have this problem.

Come on, Audi, admit to this problem and fix it.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A8L has some LEMONS to admit and RESOLVE

Is Audi now building LEMONS and attempting to outrun their (hopefully) few flawed automobiles with marketing dollars and by sweeping flaws under the rug?

I suspect there is a schism between the engineers, mechanics and the 'bean counters' as the integrity of the engineers and mechanics would willingly admit and resolve these nagging problems. What appears to have happened unfortunately, is the manipulator/managers have decided they can disguise the flaws, claiming "as designed" and suppress any information which would cause buyers to thing twice before buying into a flawed assembly line.

This is a new vehicle purchased from Audi of Fairfield, CT last summer, delivered at the Ingolstadt, Germany factory on June 21, 2012 and subsequently driven around Europe and shipped to the USA and Connecticut. The vehicle was delivered in the USA on Friday, November 2, 2012 at Fairfield, Connecticut.

As of the beginning of February, 2013 Audi of America has directed two different Audi dealers to not service or "touch" the car to implement any of the repairs. Audi of America appears to gaming the system of requirements where a car has to be documented for three or four visits to the dealer to attempt repairs prior to invoking Lemon Law. This might also explain why several dealers in Europe had the car and were requested in writing to address these issues yet nothing was documented which would satisfy the lemon law requirements. Dirty pool!

In summary:
Seat sensor - airbag deactivation
Outside mirror heat not working
tranny hard downshift when slowing
Radio station refresh
Cell phone loss of pairing - persistent
Console rattle
Door close/locks malfunction when cold
Clunk (repeatable) on acceleration from stop
MMI system fails to play .wav and .flac files
Interior headliner lights flicker
Front suspension rattles on rough road
Seat belt warnings failure intermittant

Issues identified in detail:

Front passenger seat disables airbag protection intermittently when 115 pound person is seated. Recurring issue since June.

Mysterious knock/clunk behind the dash evident on every acceleration from a complete stop. Probably motor mount or strut tower yet buried behind engine.

Since transmission program change, prior to US delivery, hard downshift when slowing and when engaging REVERSE on a hill. Worse than original yet CT dealer and Audi America refuse to document what software version was installed at European delivery and change made in Connecticut after arrival in USA.

Central 'touch' locking fails when weather is cold repeatedly during December and January.

Radio stations on MMI do not refresh when traveling from city to city, requiring changing to frequency mode selection and then dialing across the entire band to locate a station.

Bluetooth pairing with cell phone fails intermittently approximately 50% of the time, despite having replaced phone with an older model, for one on the Audi approved list. Cannot re-attempt pairing while driving due to safety interlock.

MMI system fails to play .wav and .flac files despite assurances by the salesman that this functionality was part of the MMI as it was in a prior software versions. Audi America asked the salesman to search his email for a paper trail of the assurances and then the salesman mysteriously forgot and now denies having ever made such assurances. Dirty pool indeed.

Outside mirrors heating fails to melt ice or clear fog.

Persistent Vibration / rattle in center console dashboard.

Interior headliner side lights flicker when set to dimmest level.

Front (left?) control arm(s) or strut rattles on rough road surfaces

Car 'Whoops" when driving over any bump or speed bump after start. Diminished after warm-up

All in all, the car incorporates impressive and amazing design and engineering. The sad and inexcusable disappointment is the stance taken by Audi of America in efforts to hide, disguise, deny and then frustrate repair attempts.

This is so contrary to the fine tradition and integrity of the AUDI brand that some heads should certainly roll.

[more about the European delivery Program fiascos to follow]

Originally Posted by Barmats
Same hesitation issue on my '13, which was not present on my '12 A8 SWB with the 4.2. Rolling stops don't generate this problem, just complete stops. The dealer first told me this was the first they'd heard of this problem, then later said it was built-in on purpose to take the edge off of the big power of the 4.0T engine. Right.

It is indeed dangerous in that nothing happens for a couple of seconds, often when you need the power. If you don't feather the pedal with very light pressure, it comes on with a big bang, which then: a) spills your coffee, b) makes your passengers think you just learned how to drive, and c) makes other drivers around you think you just learned how to drive. At the very least, it's a huge nuisance. None of my previous cars have had this problem, and my wife's BMW doesn't have this problem.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=

- Front passenger seat disables airbag protection intermittently when 115 pound person is seated. Recurring issue since June.

- Car 'Whoops" when driving over any bump or speed bump after start. Diminished after warm-up

[/QUOTE]

Same experience here. These are intermittent but quite troubling. How many others have had the same? I have not gotten a satisfactory response/solution from audi.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also find that the car hesitates badly whenever you let off the gas at speed and then immediately punch it again. Really don't know what this is about.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Lets all update the transmission according to the TSB i posted earlier and see what happens. I am doing that in 2 weeks and will keep everyone posted. I did this on my older 2006 A8L and it helped alot and made it perfect.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've noticed this issue on my 2011 A8L. Anyone know if there is an update for 2011 models?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koop
I've noticed this issue on my 2011 A8L. Anyone know if there is an update for 2011 models?
I have a 2011 as well but all the TSB's refer to 2012 and 2013. Mentioned a slamming feel in the 1-2 upshift from a rolling stop. They wanted to keep it overnight to duplicate and I'll do this at the 25000 mi. service.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Barmats

I have a 13' S8 and don't have the hesitation issue. Is the issue being caused by the turbos not spooling up in time for a good enough torque/power response? I had a 2009 BMW 750i before this, and that seemed to happen often. I would pull out to pass someone, and it was either no power or spill your coffee jumpy power after 1.5 seconds.

Does this problem happen when you use manual mode or sport mode? I could still replicate my problem in my 7 series using tiptronic. Is the A8 hesitating to down shift properly/select the correct gear, or is the power a lag from turbo?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Greenlanter <----- Having previously owned 2 lemon vehicles, I would suggest paying a lawyer (or a family friend with a law degree) 100 bucks to write an "official" letter to the Audi dealership you have been taking it to, as well as to Audi of North America. Threatening a law suit based on the poor experience and lack of documentation required with lemon laws will get you a response very quickly.

Had a 2012 Range Rover in the shop for over 120 days. Couldn't get any response for a lemon law from our dealership. Had my sister who happens to be a lawyer write a simple 1 page letter to LRNA and our dealership. We got a full refund that we used towards a new RR within a week.

Just a thought if your really having that many unresolved problems.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I updated a 4.0T and transmission recently because the owner had a hesitation concern. There may be updated software for your transmission or engine available. One important thing about the car I updated was the owner returned again with the long hesitation concern. I then found out the real cause was he drives with two feet (using the left foot to brake). I often attempt to duplicate hesitation concerns with customers and the first thing I watch for is their left foot resting on the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: 2013 A8L Off Idle Hesitation