A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Audi S8 Bitter Sweet.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazydog
Sorry I cannot comment on most of your post.

As to the sensors, I and trying to understand why you think it is not working. In order for the parking sensors to work they have to be activated and there are two ways of doing this. 1) place the car into reverse or 2) press the button, both of which you said you know how to work. Are the sensors not working after either one of the two are done?

You would not want them active all the time as it would become very annoying when at a stop light or in a traffic jam.

Or am I missing something here?
The front parking sensors should always come on automatically. I guess I got used to having them on my other cars. And the only time they come on, is when you get too close to an object. Not all the time I'm driving. One has to be within a certain distance for the sensors to go off.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisM27
The front parking sensors should always come on automatically. I guess I got used to having them on my other cars. And the only time they come on, is when you get too close to an object. Not all the time I'm driving. One has to be within a certain distance for the sensors to go off.
Sorry, but I'm with Lazydog on this one. The front sensors are not designed to be automatically activated, since they would become an annoyance during normal driving activity. If you want them to become activated, just hit the parking button on the instrument panel. Sounds like they are functioning as designed in your car in that respect. As far as you feeling that you are getting too close to an object before they provide an alert, have your dealer check to see if there is a distance adjustment that can be made. My car alerts me within about 4 to 4 1/2 feet from a stationary object. That doesn't sound like a lot of room, but in reality it is more than sufficient IMO when approaching a parking structure at a normally cautious speed.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the front sensors were on all the time, every time you had a car in front of you in normal every day stop and go traffic, the sensors would be driving you nuts.

So as others have said, this is not a defect and it works the way it should. There must be some sort of software glitch or issues with the a8.

There have been some recent updates for software with the steering on the a6 and the s4. My car had the update, but never experienced any problems. Was just told of a recall and update and did it.

To say that Audi has some sort of electrical nightmare and there cars are going to the ways of the 1980s is laughable.

Heck, even the nut jobs at consumer reports recommend the a4, a6 and q5. The latest a8 with all the high end tech wizardry does seem to have a bit more issues.

I've had little to no issues with my 4 Audis and the electronics.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
If the front sensors were on all the time, every time you had a car in front of you in normal every day stop and go traffic, the sensors would be driving you nuts.

So as others have said, this is not a defect and it works the way it should. There must be some sort of software glitch or issues with the a8.

There have been some recent updates for software with the steering on the a6 and the s4. My car had the update, but never experienced any problems. Was just told of a recall and update and did it.

To say that Audi has some sort of electrical nightmare and there cars are going to the ways of the 1980s is laughable.

Heck, even the nut jobs at consumer reports recommend the a4, a6 and q5. The latest a8 with all the high end tech wizardry does seem to have a bit more issues.

I've had little to no issues with my 4 Audis and the electronics.
Thank you for the info. Like I said before, I got spoiled with Mercedes Benz, BMW and Honda. The front sensors come on by themselves when one gets closed to an Object. For example, when I'm out driving the sensors don't come on. Unless I'm within 3 feet from the object.

Now even though I don't like the fact that the sensors don't come on, unless I turned them on. I can deal with it, but the fact that the car turns off while parking. That alone its an issue not to be taken lightly. But I am taking my S8 for this ISSUE to my local dealer, tomorrow. I hope it gets fixed, because I like my S8
Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LouisM27
Thank you for the info. Like I said before, I got spoiled with Mercedes Benz, BMW and Honda. The front sensors come on by themselves when one gets closed to an Object. For example, when I'm out driving the sensors don't come on. Unless I'm within 3 feet from the object.NS8

We have both situations - The Benz will start chirping if you are below a certain speed and get within three feet of something in front of you. However there is no manual way to turn on the front camera other than putting it in reverse...then the camera stays on till you get to about 15 mph going forward or you turn the vehicle off. It is not intrusive to me and I like that aspect. However I don't like not being about to turn it on manually. You can disengage by pushing a button. Not a big deal either way (MB or Audi)...just adapting to it took a little time.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as a whole of all the German cars, you're always going to have more issues with A8's, 7 series, and S classes.

These high end ~100k cars are always trying to outdo the other with electronic wizardry.

I remember when BMW had the 7 series fiasco of I drive and all the lemon cars that were bought back. Audi has had their share of bad A8's as well.

Just the nature of the beast with these cars.