A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 S8 Rear Main oil seal leak 46k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S8 Rear Main oil seal leak 46k miles

Hello all. I just picked up my 2013 S8 from my independent shop, O'hara Automotive for A/C pressure sensor failure. They called last week to inform me that there was an oil leak from what they suspect to be a rear main seal. The car is still under the Manufacturer Drive train warranty. They suggested that I take it to the dealership for the oil leak to.be repaired under warranty. I do have an extended warranty through a 3rd party company. Does anyone here have experience with a 4.0L rear main or oil leak that appears to come from that a
It appears to me that it has been leaking for some time as it has quite a bit of build up in the lower engine cover insulation and on plumbing that has attracted a thick layer of dust. It was purchased as CPO from Audi North Austin (bad experience) and I had my local Audi Dealership do an oil change at ~40k, neither of which reported the oil leak. I will attach a photo taken by my mechanic.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlturpin
Hello all. I just picked up my 2013 S8 from my independent shop, O'hara Automotive for A/C pressure sensor failure. They called last week to inform me that there was an oil leak from what they suspect to be a rear main seal. The car is still under the Manufacturer Drive train warranty. They suggested that I take it to the dealership for the oil leak to.be repaired under warranty. I do have an extended warranty through a 3rd party company. Does anyone here have experience with a 4.0L rear main or oil leak that appears to come from that a
It appears to me that it has been leaking for some time as it has quite a bit of build up in the lower engine cover insulation and on plumbing that has attracted a thick layer of dust. It was purchased as CPO from Audi North Austin (bad experience) and I had my local Audi Dealership do an oil change at ~40k, neither of which reported the oil leak. I will attach a photo taken by my mechanic.
No experience with the rear main seal but I would take it to the dealer if you still have a warranty.

I've heard if the PVC valve and/or Venting system has issues it will cause the rear main seal to leak because the crankcase pressure builds and cannot be released thhrough the proper avenue.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the same leak and my mechanic told me its the same thing. For some reason I havent been losing oil lately but that area there still seems to be wet. I posted a picture of that on a separate thread a while back but never knew what it was. Unfortunately my car is out of warranty. To replace that seal will be like a all day thing if not 2 at a independent shop as my mechanic said both engine and tranny have to be dropped. About 2k labor and parts if not more so im leaving it alone for now
Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Disappointing to see this at such low mileage.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Disappointing to see this at such low mileage.
absolutely. Unfortunately you never know with used cars. This is my first used car and while I love the car, it sure could be a headache. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thought it was the transmission at first
Old 10-02-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doing the rear main seal is no joke. I remember well on my old LS430 most would replace these out of caution but not until the second water pump / timeing belt job at 200k miles. On that engine I don't think you needed to drop the transmission either.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. It is disappointing, but hopefully it will be covered either under Manufacturer drive train warranty which expires in 12/2017 if rear main seal, or by extended warranty if it the culprit is the AOS. I will update this thread as I find out more.