A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 facelift/2016 D5

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRCHA6
The rendering looks curiously like the current A6 only with different headlight elements. While opinions vary, I think the current non-facelifted version is a bit more distinctive. The 2015 (or 2016 depending upon the source) has the D5 rear wheel drive and no longer all aluminum.
I guess one of the stories coming out in recent months is that Audi will adopt the next gen panamera chassis rather than the audi ASF (fwd biased) chassis.

What we should also remember is that Audi's multimaterial space frame is likely to be underpinning the D5. The weight savings will be substantial (read about the prototype road version of the TT weighing less than 1000kg in Encounter?). It's more likely that these technologies will be used throughout the VW group as everyone benefits with economies of scale.

I'm counting on a nice MY2014 refresh as my trusty D4 will be 3 years old. I know that the D4 started with a MY2010, so MY2014 makes sense for a subtle set of updates.

Personally, I hope the MMI gets load more horsepower, as currently my older car struggles to keep up ! I also hope they introduce built in 4G as its coverage will only get better.

There are also some diesel engine updates that I'd expect next year for Europe at least. The 4.2 TDI sometimes does feel it needs a bit more poke. Potentially with something between 380 and 400 hp rather than the current 350, and a bit more torque too (800NM -> maybe 900NM). It's likely the sound actuator in the 3.0 bitdi will make it's way into the A8 (currently in the new Cayenne S Diesel - a modified version of the audi 4.2 tdi essentially). You never know, they might even think about adding the 3.0 bitdi with the electric small turbo that's prototyped in an A6 (there was a recent Fortitude review of it).

I think next year we will see a lot for the A8.

I also remember a recent seminar with Ulrich Baretzsky that I attended. I asked when their R18 technology would make it to road cars, he said "2014 there will be quite an update and especially in 2016 when you will see a big difference". I just can't stop wishing that the timing would be brilliant for the A8.

Let's hope it all comes true.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Heard some more info for 2014 that I thought I'd share.

Because of the feedback across the world about the boot/trunk space, the product improvement people have said that towards the end of 2013, the boot will be redesigned to make the available space more usable. About Time, I'm sure you'll agree. It's embarrassing sometimes to have to take suitcases inside the cabin when going on holiday, not very becoming of a luxury machine like the A8.

There's also bookface/twitter integration being added next year, with alerts similar to the traffic information being presented with inbound messages.

The lighting might be changing to a newer tech (not sure if that's referring to exterior or interior or both - but my guess would be this oled stuff that will become the rage soon).

That's all for now.

On the plus side, I get an S8 for a few days next week to see what's going on!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

also... myAudi is going through a refresh, from version 1.0 to 2.0, but we'll need new cars to take advantage of whatever the new features are.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
There's also bookface/twitter integration being added next year, with alerts similar to the traffic information being presented with inbound messages.
I hope Audi does a good job implementing this.
In America the average drives shifts directly from Park to Stupid and the last thing they need is to be using social media on the road

Many will be pleased with the larger boot space.

myAudi could use some improvements for sure.
I have yet to get the online destinations to work as advertised, and MMI has to download them every single time so I ended up putting them in my phonebook.

Was thinking about the concept video Audi put out while approaching the vehicle in a semi-dark hotel parking lot last week.
Can't find the exact video but it showed portions of the body lighting up based on proximity and location.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good job there's ACC, otherwise I'd be distracted too much by the whirly-swirly lights ;-) It's almost like mood lighting. I read the new S Klasse will have variable intensity brake lights i.e when you are at rest with your foot on the brake, the brightness varies so not to dazzle behind behind. I know sometimes with the 8 and 6 you get people shielding their eyes a bit when we stop at night.

Either that, or they need glasses.

It may be that with the new S coming out, that Audi are getting ready to react to it a lot quicker than in times gone by. Which can only mean we end up with a better product.