A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 4.0TT Have your turbos blown yet?
2013 - NO
19.15%
2013 - YES
13.51%
2014 - NO
11.09%
2014 - YES
6.05%
2015 - NO
13.91%
2015 - YES
5.65%
2016 - NO
14.31%
2016 - YES
3.02%
2017 - NO
11.29%
2017 - YES
2.02%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:30 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 505 Likes on 403 Posts

This is like Deja Vu all over again.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
There are a couple of YouTube videos where people have removed the screen altogether. It seems to work fine, but some of the owners claim that there might be an increase in oil consumption. Nothing scientific, just their impression.

My feeling is that if Audi went to the trouble to redesign a new screen (creating a new part number, engineering, etc.) then I should probably use it. Perhaps it helps regulate the amount of oil sent to the turbos?

If you have no faith in either screen, perhaps using something like the JHM filter relocation kit might be a better option than no screen at all.
You have good points there.

Journal bearings require a lot of oil to operate, ball bearings dont and thats why they have restrictors in oil feed. The lines going to the turbos arent that big diameter so I dont think there can be too much oil going in. All info related to this engine is ofc welcome.

With my use, I will have so little mileage per year so it might be the best to use the new design screen that Audi engineered. I will change oils once a year with ~2000miles of driving.

My personal opinion is that the JHM relocvation kit is just BS.. Wayyyy too overpriced for couple of hydraulic lines. 150usd and I would buy it, 550 hell no. They make it so pricey "because they can and the subject is alarming overall", I dont care that kind of business model. And no, its not that big of a invention that the research and engineering would have taken millions to come up with that product.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusa101
Hi all! So, I just bought my first 4.0T. 2014 S8. It has 130k miles and the screen has never been cleaned. I checked the both turbos axle play (side to side and in/out) and the compressor wheel doesnt hit the housing but its pretty close. You can probably fit something there that has the thickness of a bible page, nothing thicker. In/out play is zero, cant feel it by hand. It seems that I have to check the screen (replace the valve under the screen and ofc new oil separator just in case) and maybe start looking for new turbos because the current ones dont have that much life left. My question is that because Audi have ditched that screen after 2016, is there any reason to update the screen to the never version vs remove it completely? Any thoughts?
That amount of movement is normal. With oil pressure in the bushing area, there is much less side-to-side movement during operation.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:31 AM
Super-Duper User

Journal bearings require a lot of oil to operate, ball bearings dont and thats why they have restrictors in oil feed. The lines going to the turbos arent that big diameter so I dont think there can be too much oil going in. All info related to this engine is ofc welcome.
My personal opinion is that the JHM relocvation kit is just BS.. Wayyyy too overpriced for couple of hydraulic lines. 150usd and I would buy it, 550 hell no. They make it so pricey "because they can and the subject is alarming overall", I dont care that kind of business model. And no, its not that big of a invention that the research and engineering would have taken millions to come up with that product.
The screen should present no restriction to oil flow. Not the design, not its purpose.
The kit isn't priced exorbitantly, considering all the custom welded stainless parts. Heck, you can't even buy an ashtray for this car for $150. You gotta pay to play.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
The screen should present no restriction to oil flow. Not the design, not its purpose.
The kit isn't priced exorbitantly, considering all the custom welded stainless parts. Heck, you can't even buy an ashtray for this car for $150. You gotta pay to play.
And also the screen protects the valve so the valve doesnt stuck open. I might pick the new screen route here and check the screen after a year or two.

Btw, is it true that all the 4.0TFSI exhaust manifold/turbine housings are the same? Atleast the turbine wheels have the same diameter and after googling, ppl say that its same in every model.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:29 AM
Super-Duper User

And also the screen protects the valve so the valve doesnt stuck open.

...is it true that all the 4.0TFSI exhaust manifold/turbine housings are the same? Atleast the turbine wheels have the same diameter and after googling, ppl say that its same in every model.
What valve? There is no valve post-screen.
The RS6/7 turbos have a larger diameter compressor fan.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What valve? There is no valve post-screen.
The RS6/7 turbos have a larger diameter compressor fan.

Its pre screen and yes, the screen protects also that valve when engine is not running so all the gunk hot oil creates, dont end up jamming the valve and preventing it closing.

Can you even read? Im talking about exhaust manifold and turbine housing, not compressor side...
Old 01-08-2022, 09:16 AM
Super-Duper User

Interesting theory you have there on the turbo screen protecting the backflow valve. Maybe you could get a job with Audi
Yes, I have a reasonably good command of the English language. If you will re-read my answer, you might understand that I was only adding what I knew, and not contradicting you.
Welcome to the board.
The following users liked this post:
Jusa101 (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Interesting theory you have there on the turbo screen protecting the backflow valve. Maybe you could get a job with Audi
Yes, I have a reasonably good command of the English language. If you will re-read my answer, you might understand that I was only adding what I knew, and not contradicting you.
Welcome to the board.
My apologies, not trying to ruin anyones day. Just trying to get that freaking thing back on the road and ofc learn s much as possible. I have been googling for hours about this subject and 4.0TFSI overall.

Yes, Im aware about the compressor options and im getting used exhaust manifolds and RS7 cores+comp housings. Then I have one set of turbos stored when something hits the fan. Also im getting cores waiting for my current S8 turbos so I can swap them immediately and no need to wait for replacements or getting them repaired. If I dont need the spares (sell the car etc), I will get rid of those turbo parts pretty easily, I think.

Thanks, this thread and forum has been very informative.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 A8L 4.0T

I had 93,000 miles on my A8L, on a road trip driving through Kentucky when both turbos failed on the interstate. I bought the car brand new in 2015, no modifications. Love the car. I had the car towed to the nearest Audi dealership, and then took a rental car and drove back to Iowa (home). I was really disappointed with the repair cost obviously, but the car is solid and still has the same firm, solid ride as when brand new. It was the only challenge with the car that I have had so far besides regular maintenance, replacing the tires (twice) and then finally the brakes (91,000) in 2021. After paying the turbo replacement bill I seriously thought I was done with this car, but I plan on keeping it for another 50 to 100K miles and then go electric. I had the wheels painted at 98,000 so the car would feel "new" to me. I currently have 102,000 miles.

The following users liked this post:
stronghammer (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: 4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8