A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Engine straining at Low RPM’s

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A8 Engine straining at Low RPM’s

I'll be as brief as possible

Many of us know that when driving a manual transmission, if you try to go from 1st to 4th at 20 mph (not that you would try to do this) the engine will strain. Likewise, when that car decelerates, to say, 20 mph and you are still in 4th gear, you may feel the engine straining as well. However, in an automatic trans, the governor (or whatever they call it these days) should automatically upshift/dowshift at appropriate speeds.

My A8 3.0 has 1400 miles on it and I have recently began to experience that during slow acceleration, after a gear change, the tach drops to approx 1100 RPM and then climbs from there. Unless I am in 1st or 2cnd gear, at 1100, 1200 RPM, the engine begins to strain. The engine strain can be also felt as vibration through the steering wheel as wellbut its obvious that the engine feels like its struggling. Once it gets to 1600 or so RPM in that gear, that strain resolves. No strain at all in any gear at >1500 RPM

The key here is normal acceleration (not going hard on the throttle) as the car slowly accelerates with each gear dropping to the lowest RPM that the tranny goes to (which is approx 1100) and then continuing to accelerate to the next higher gear. And this also happens to some extent when decelerating since it is posssible to slow do to 25 MPH and the trans is still in 5th gear.

Again, The key here is the low RPM’s at that next automatic gear change while feathering the throttle at these low rpm's (Lie you would need to do while in slow moving traffcie). it definitely does not do it in the first couple of gears (such as slowly accelerating from a dead stop or light)

I did not experience this within the 1st 1300 miles of ownership. Also, I am in D mode, not S mode when it happens since I mostly drive in D mode anyway. S mode tends to keep the RPM’s higher in every gear change

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 11-20-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if the tranny shift points can be adjusted to 1300 instead of 1100. I know in the S4 my shift points were 1500, then after a firmware/software update for better fuel econopmy (i think) it shifted around 1300, and had the vibration during light loads and very low rpm. 1100 is rediculous. A v6 will never haul around 4400 lbs at 1100 rpm and be smooth. I think 1500 should be the minimum revs for the shifting points.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wonder if there is a campaign for the transmission - I'd take it right to the dealer.

My 4.2 doesn't see anywhere near those kind of RPMS unless I'm farting around in S mode on a back road or on the interstate at speed.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by L0U
I wonder if the tranny shift points can be adjusted to 1300 instead of 1100. I know in the S4 my shift points were 1500, then after a firmware/software update for better fuel econopmy (i think) it shifted around 1300, and had the vibration during light loads and very low rpm. 1100 is rediculous. A v6 will never haul around 4400 lbs at 1100 rpm and be smooth. I think 1500 should be the minimum revs for the shifting points.
well, I thought about an ECU reconfig as well but the fuel economy will go down. I also didnt experience this with the 1st 1300 miles. This is also a NWB, just a tad lighter than The L. Also, I didnt experience this the 1st 1300 miles. Then again, its also p[ossible it didnt reach 1100 RPM during shifting the 1st 1300 miles ( wasnt payinmg attention until the issue began), although I dont know what could possibly cause firmware to change

I have a 2011 S4, I will pay attention to how low the RPM goes in automatic mode. I am also thinking about asking the dealer for a test drive with one of his V6 Lot models just for a mile or 2, to see where it shifts. I do service both Cars there so there shouldnt be a problem

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 11-16-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Wonder if there is a campaign for the transmission - I'd take it right to the dealer.

My 4.2 doesn't see anywhere near those kind of RPMS unless I'm farting around in S mode on a back road or on the interstate at speed.
Possibly. I believe the 8 speed is a new tranny or atleast the 8 Speed/V6 is a fairly new combo anyway
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I'll be as brief as possible

Many of us know that when driving a manual transmission, if you try to go from 1st to 4th at 20 mph (not that you would try to do this) the engine will strain. Likewise, when that car decelerates, to say, 20 mph and you are still in 4th gear, you may feel the engine straining as well. However, in an automatic trans, the governor (or whatever they call it these days) should automatically upshift/dowshift at appropriate speeds.

My A8 3.0 has 1400 miles on it and I have recently began to experience that during slow acceleration, after a gear change, the tach drops to approx 1100 RPM and then climbs from there. Unless I am in 1st or 2cnd gear, at 1100, 1200 RPM, the engine begins to strain. The engine strain can be also felt as vibration through the steering wheel as wellbut its obvious that the engine feels like its struggling. Once it gets to 1600 or so RPM in that gear, that strain resolves. No strain at all in any gear at >1500 RPM

The key here is normal acceleration (not going hard on the throttle) as the car slowly accelerates with each gear dropping to the lowest RPM that the tranny goes to (which is approx 1100) and then continuing to accelerate to the next higher gear. And this also happens to some extent when decelerating since it is posssible to slow do to 25 MPH and the trans is still in 5th gear.

Again, The key here is the low RPM’s at that next automatic gear change and gears higher than third, although it may do it in 3rd as well. But it definitely does not do it from a dead stop, which is in first gear and then you are quickly into 2nd.

I did not experience this within the 1st 1300 miles of ownership. Also, I am in D mode, not S mode when it happens since I mostly drive in D mode anyway. S mode tends to keep the RPM’s higher in every gear change
I have a 2013 A8L 3.0 with about 1500 miles now and never noticed this issue since new. However, I drive in Auto mode and I always blip the downshift (-) paddle twice if/when I need some torque.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibly. I believe the 8 speed is a new tranny or atleast the 8 Speed/V6 is a fairly new combo anyway
Vaguely recall derfA8L posting about an early update to the 8 speed.
Very possibly the new combination may get tweaked.

In the interim you can always check here:
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...in_lookup.html
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by steinway
I have a 2013 A8L 3.0 with about 1500 miles now and never noticed this issue since new. However, I drive in Auto mode and I always blip the downshift (-) paddle twice if/when I need some torque.
thats what I find myself doing now at times but I dont feel like driving big luxury car with an auto trans like a sports car
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Vaguely recall derfA8L posting about an early update to the 8 speed.
Very possibly the new combination may get tweaked.

In the interim you can always check here:
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...in_lookup.html
tks, that helps. I might pm derfa8L
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 718 Likes on 507 Posts

tks, that helps. I might pm derfa8L
I recall that the tranny re-code had to do with alleviating the abrupt lurch when slowly accelerating from a stopped position.

Mark, I'd take the car to the dealer and have them look into the issue.

Quick Reply: A8 Engine straining at Low RPM’s