A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Engine straining at Low RPM’s

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I recall that the tranny re-code had to do with alleviating the abrupt lurch when slowly accelerating from a stopped position.

Mark, I'd take the car to the dealer and have them look into the issue.
I called AoA flagship earlier today around 1pm. I requested if they can set up a drive comparison. AoA got on the horn with the dealer. At about 4:30, AoA called me back and asked if I can meet Tuesday because the AUDI Rep will be at the dealership. They have also agreed to accomodate me in driving 1 or 2 lot A8 3.0's for comparison

The plan is to first demonstrate the strain throughout the gears with the guys in my car. Then I will drive 1 or 2 lot 3.0's for comparison. But its so obvious. I mean i can make this car vibrate like a sex toy

Is it me or do any of you other guys feel that dealers play a "damage control" game and pretend your model has never reported the problem you are describing?

I remember my S4 had a leak in the rear. The SA asked me if I was certain it was the S4 and not one of my other cars because he had not seen any S4's with rear leaks. It Turns out there was a TSB about it at that time!

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 11-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe try driving your car harder and pushing the gas pedal further when you accelerate? Because I think these electronically controlled transmissions can learn and adapt to your driving style. Could it be that it senses that you have a very relaxed driving style, so it chooses a shift map with very low shift points? This is good for fuel economy but could be so low that you feel the engine is struggling. If this theory is correct, I would advise caution when comparing to the dealer cars because people tend to drive them quite hard, so the transmission would adopt a more aggressive shift map and keep the revs high.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK Guys,

So We all kept our appt today. Service mgr, Field rep and myself all met at the delaership and we all went for a ride in my car. Didnt take long to duplicate the problem. Anyway, the service mgr right away acknowledged the problem and he was actually in the back seat! The field rep in the passenger seat acknowledged it as well.

Then we took a ride in one of their 2013 3.0's. I believe it had like 680 miles on it. It was probably given to someone in mgmnt. Anyway, Right from the start, it didnt take long for me to realize their car did not have this issue because I was in slow moving traffic right which is when we find ourselves featrhering the throttle at low rpms. They wanted me to drive the car farther, which I was more than happy to but right away, I knew their car did not behave like mine did. i drove car twice THE DISTANCE atleast until the both of them acknowledged that my car did in fact have some kind of problem

Anyway, in driving their car, I did notice something. When feathering the throttle at low rpms (after each gear change), I noticed that their throttle seemed to be more responsive. I dont know if that would suggest a throttle response issue with my car. If it is then it would explain the engine strain and struggle as it gets going at low rpm. Ofcourse I am just guessing here. But I am fairly convinced that its not an issue where the engine cant pull the weight of the car. Its definitely some other issue

They are going to look at it after the holiday and contact the Technical field rep

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 11-20-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am watching this tread with great interest.

Sorry you're having trouble with your car.

First of all, Audi has a track record of not acknowledging problems with their cars. For exam the DRC debacle on the 2003 RS6, then RS4, then RS6 mark 2. The VP who gave me such a hard time is now the president of AOA. Good for him.

Anyway, I had a friend who had a leased S5 convertible which he turned back in at a huge financial loss because he felt that the throttle response was a problem off the line. When pulling into traffic there was a delay, NOT A TURBO LAG, but a delay in anything happening under the hood when he pushed the gas pedal. I drove his car when it was on the lot after he turned it in. I guess I did not drive it long enough to get a feel for the issue he had raised.

Now my A8L has what appears to be the same issue with the gas pedal. It's kind of dead until you push it a bit more than I'd like to get the car moving. That makes it hard to smoothly pull out from a stop. Is this throttle response or an issue with Drive by wire and a Dead Spot?

The S5 crowd caught up with the above issue and there was a reprogram done on those cars. I'm just waiting for the issue to be acknowledge by Audi and then get it fixed.

Your car sounds like an issue likely to effect many of the new cars, but they should be able to work it out.

Mike
Old 11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
I am watching this tread with great interest.

Sorry you're having trouble with your car.

First of all, Audi has a track record of not acknowledging problems with their cars. For exam the DRC debacle on the 2003 RS6, then RS4, then RS6 mark 2. The VP who gave me such a hard time is now the president of AOA. Good for him.

Anyway, I had a friend who had a leased S5 convertible which he turned back in at a huge financial loss because he felt that the throttle response was a problem off the line. When pulling into traffic there was a delay, NOT A TURBO LAG, but a delay in anything happening under the hood when he pushed the gas pedal. I drove his car when it was on the lot after he turned it in. I guess I did not drive it long enough to get a feel for the issue he had raised.

Now my A8L has what appears to be the same issue with the gas pedal. It's kind of dead until you push it a bit more than I'd like to get the car moving. That makes it hard to smoothly pull out from a stop. Is this throttle response or an issue with Drive by wire and a Dead Spot?

The S5 crowd caught up with the above issue and there was a reprogram done on those cars. I'm just waiting for the issue to be acknowledge by Audi and then get it fixed.

Your car sounds like an issue likely to effect many of the new cars, but they should be able to work it out.

Mike
ya, they do play the hush hush game and it pisses me off. Have also had that played with my '11 S4 with the transmission and its periodic bucking at 0-15 mph speeds. They have only been able to duplicate it once. I thought it was fixed after a flash but it wasnt. It has happned afew times since. And Its odd that i found the same symptoms in an NHTSB alert about 4-5 years ago when Volkswagon first came out with the dual clutch tranny. The alert even mentioned bucking at low speeds (same exact problem I have).

Have also had a myriad of odd periodic sound systenm issues which I have been able to duplicate but it Seems like they just swap out components in the hopes that the problem gets fixed. 4times in the shop for these weird sound systenm isues and still no fix???

The S4 is a fun to drive. Unfortunately, With the occasional tranny and other issues, I have conveyed to AUDI I have lost confidence in the car. I did have had an R8 in mind by the end of 2013. I really like the R8 but now I am thinking 911 Turbo instead, For that kind of money, I dont want problems with the car. At this point, I am Not sure what to think of AUDI. Some have said that AUDI couldnt care less about U.S. customers because they sell well in europe. We are just icing on the cake to them. Fortunately states have lemon laws. We will see what happens with the A8

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 11-21-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Word came in today from the dealership that AoA says to replace the transmission. My only concern is that AUDI has swapped out compionents before (in my S4 for example) and the problem still remained. Sometimes it seems like AUDI just replaces stuff because they really cant figure it out so they decide to replace the entire unit in the hopes the problem will go away (or, as I like to say, they decide to throw the baby out with the bath water)

It is hard for me to belive a Trasmission would be problematic at 1400 miles. But we shall see. If it is, then I would still be a bit mistified that a tranny would act up so early.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could also be glitch w/the electronic driver sensing -had that problem w/ both our A8 and the ml63. Do a reset and then see if shift points are altered. Place key in ignition; turn to ACCESSORY only; foot on pedal/hold for 30 seconds; keep depressing while turning off; wait minimum 1 minute; restart.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry - that's a 'full to the floor' pedal depress.

Originally Posted by Yea Snow
Could also be glitch w/the electronic driver sensing -had that problem w/ both our A8 and the ml63. Do a reset and then see if shift points are altered. Place key in ignition; turn to ACCESSORY only; foot on pedal/hold for 30 seconds; keep depressing while turning off; wait minimum 1 minute; restart.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yea Snow
Huh? Key in ignition? An A8? mystified...
Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, perhaps it's 'fob' to you, but yes the KEY in the little slot, you know, to the right of the steering wheel - it's in all the manuals - press (turn in MB, etc.)
to electronics mode & follow as above. I assumed this was common knowledge for years now on this site - I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: A8 Engine straining at Low RPM’s