A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC problems on new 2012 Audi A8L

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC problems on new 2012 Audi A8L

I have read quite a few other threads concerning the ACC and problems with misalignment. I have many questions because mine has gone bad twice now and they now want me to pay. Let me start by saying my car is a lemon, in my opinion. It doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it yet. The day I drove it off the lot the MMI was broken. They said bring it back tomorrow, the part will be in. It wasn't. A week went by.
Then they told me the ACC wasn't working properly. They said they fixed it, I drove off, but after 5 minutes on the road, I get a warning that says ACC and Braking Guard are not available. Being a Audi driver, I didn't even know what ACC meant at the time. So, I drove he car a few weeks and decided I needed to get it looked at. There was a slight scrape to the bottom of front bumper. The front end is so low that it catches on things and sometimes scrapes the top of parking blocks, as well as ice and snow. There is no damage to the actual bumper. Looking straight on, the car is perfect.
They are saying this scrape to the underside of the bumper has caused the ACC to fail. I don't agree. Its a very minimal paint scrape that happens on occassion when I pull into my garage, which is at the bottom of a hill. They want $600 to fix it correctly, which I claim was never fixed properly in the first place, but because of a small scrape under the bumper, it's now somehow my fault.

Question #1: Isn't there law that requires cars to be able to withstand a 2mph bump without any failure of any safety systems. Since they lump the ACC in with the braking guard, I consider this a safety system. The bumper was never actually even hit, but it seems a very low speed scrape is enough to cause damage to the ACC. I consider this a huge design failure.

Question #2: Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue with what appears to be a very very touchy ACC system? I live in a snow and ice prone area of the country. You would think this being a German car they would realize people are going to be driving in ice and snow, which inevitably will cause all kinds of things scraping the bottom pad of the bumper. For Audi to design a bumper so sensitive to slight bumps and scrapes to have it constantly knocking out the ACC is a sign of very poor design. The commercials they run show this tow truck guy frustrated because he can't get the Audi to bog down in the deep snow, thus requiring his services. Good luck to the Audi owner with regards to his ACC.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddog4200
I have read quite a few other threads concerning the ACC and problems with misalignment. I have many questions because mine has gone bad twice now and they now want me to pay. Let me start by saying my car is a lemon, in my opinion. It doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it yet. The day I drove it off the lot the MMI was broken. They said bring it back tomorrow, the part will be in. It wasn't. A week went by.
Then they told me the ACC wasn't working properly. They said they fixed it, I drove off, but after 5 minutes on the road, I get a warning that says ACC and Braking Guard are not available. Being a Audi driver, I didn't even know what ACC meant at the time. So, I drove he car a few weeks and decided I needed to get it looked at. There was a slight scrape to the bottom of front bumper. The front end is so low that it catches on things and sometimes scrapes the top of parking blocks, as well as ice and snow. There is no damage to the actual bumper. Looking straight on, the car is perfect.
They are saying this scrape to the underside of the bumper has caused the ACC to fail. I don't agree. Its a very minimal paint scrape that happens on occassion when I pull into my garage, which is at the bottom of a hill. They want $600 to fix it correctly, which I claim was never fixed properly in the first place, but because of a small scrape under the bumper, it's now somehow my fault.

Question #1: Isn't there law that requires cars to be able to withstand a 2mph bump without any failure of any safety systems. Since they lump the ACC in with the braking guard, I consider this a safety system. The bumper was never actually even hit, but it seems a very low speed scrape is enough to cause damage to the ACC. I consider this a huge design failure.

Question #2: Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue with what appears to be a very very touchy ACC system? I live in a snow and ice prone area of the country. You would think this being a German car they would realize people are going to be driving in ice and snow, which inevitably will cause all kinds of things scraping the bottom pad of the bumper. For Audi to design a bumper so sensitive to slight bumps and scrapes to have it constantly knocking out the ACC is a sign of very poor design. The commercials they run show this tow truck guy frustrated because he can't get the Audi to bog down in the deep snow, thus requiring his services. Good luck to the Audi owner with regards to his ACC.

every state has its own lemon laws and procedures to follow. For example, in FL, if a part is repaired 3 times in a given period, you can pursue lemon law compensation. There are guidelines. For example, when that same problem occurs for a 3rd time, you must send a certified letter to an AUDI dealership putting them on notice that you are seeking Lemon Law compensation. They have 30 days to reply

I would attack this from all angles. Begin with the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAu, research your states Lemon law guidelines, and contact AUDI corporate USA. Attack from all angles as none of them are mutally dependent from/of each other

AUDI hired a Lexus Exec not long ago for post sales quality issues. I dont remeber his name and it can be tough to get form AUDI USA but you can obtain it if you are diligent. Now is the time to turn up the heat. No manufacturer likes it when the public is aware of the issues but they dont give in easy so Expect a bit of a battle.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW, A big well known early problem that had a Global effect was the Tsunami that affected MMI supply. But it affected many manufacturers, not just AUDI so you probably could not seek lemon law relief with the MMI. Many owners had to wait several weeks and even months. Its just one of those unfortunate things that affected so many

But this ACC issue is something I am going to talk to my shop foreman about, who i have come to know quite well because I have had a few issues with my S4. I expect to have some good answers from him
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get in touch with head office. I can't believe the dealer is giving you this kind of grief after spending a fortune on a car.

Sometimes the "lemons" are the dealers I think.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I get a warning that says ACC and Braking Guard are not available.
Last year, I had the same warning dialog, took it into the dealer (Herb Chambers Audi, Burlington MA), they kept it for two days only because they had to order a part, but they fixed it. I've looked all over for the Repair Order so I could help you with better information, but for the life of me, I can't find that receipt. Nor can I remember the exact details.

I'll keep looking for it...

Good Luck
Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your comments. I do have at least one good piece of news. I did contact upper management at the dealership and they are paying for the repair after all. I hope the ACC and MMI issues are finally resolved. We shall see. Happy driving!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
Last year, I had the same warning dialog, took it into the dealer (Herb Chambers Audi, Burlington MA), they kept it for two days only because they had to order a part, but they fixed it. I've looked all over for the Repair Order so I could help you with better information, but for the life of me, I can't find that receipt. Nor can I remember the exact details.

I'll keep looking for it...

Good Luck

Found the work order!

Complaint: Customer states ACC and Audi Brake Guard not active. Warning Dialogue Active.
Service: Perform 91G7 RVU
Parts 0.00 Labor 0.00 Other 0.00 N/C

Ask your dealer to do the 91G7 RVU Service and his offer to do it at no charge is no gift at all!

p.s. they kept it for two days to do other services on the same work order...