A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligment Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aligment Question.

Hello,
I have a 2012 A8L,
For aligment on this car, can i take it to any shop, or only the dealer can do it. Mine has all the extras from sport suspension, to driver assist, and more.
Thank you.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

You have to take it to dealer only and it won't be cheap either 400 and up if they dont have re align your driver assist sensors, if you take it elsewhere you'll get acc and brake gaurd error which will then be a 700 service at the dealer
Old 09-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dildildil
You have to take it to dealer only and it won't be cheap either 400 and up if they dont have re align your driver assist sensors, if you take it elsewhere you'll get acc and brake gaurd error which will then be a 700 service at the dealer
Hi dildildil,
Thank you, for that info.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is not correct. Any competent shop can do the alignment. Many board members have had alignments done with no issues.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 612 Likes on 511 Posts

It's actually kind of in between as far as the answer.

Any shop can do the mechanical alignment. No special Audi potion or dance or witchcraft for that part. Basic bolt and nut turning against a computerized screen they most all have these days.

The issue is the sensor stuff. The more of them, the more questions. But, from direct practical experience I have had both the D3 A8 and the Q5 aligned for the $90 type price on the computerized rack for all four wheels. The D3 has adaptive cruise and no arose issue there--aligned two different times over the years. Q5 has side assist and rear camera and no issues there either. Body shops have told me if you get parts painted that cover the sensors (like bumper covers) that can throw it off. From having disassembled the Q5 bumper myself for trailer related hitch stuff, I saw that side assist (blind spot monitoring) sensor pack and there are no mechanical alignment screws; must happen via an adaptation process. In any case, no issue on Q5 either with disassembly or even a bumper skin changeout with new paint.

The remaining incremental areas on a D4 would be now dual sensor adaptive cruise instead of single like D3, more cameras, and brake assist.

Bottom line, if car in an accident, more serious issues anyway and get shop to do it by book. If just some potholes and things getting gradually knocked out alignment wise...or my wife's habit of "parking by Braille"...I would expect only the suspension got out of whack and NOT the sensors. Thus there I would trust the indy shop type low cost. That is what I have faced so far, and indy shop worked fine and no system issues. Actually toughest case would be worn parts throwing alignment off like worn upper suspension bushings. Then to align it out really you are setting mechanical alignment differentially from sensor position to deal with wear unless you do sensors at same time. Right answer there really is to replace the worn parts so when it aligns everything should conceptually be back to its default factory position. Otherwise it is a set up for having to align it again when worn parts get replaced. Said another way, it is actually an argument for the cheaper indy approach rather than the uber complicated Audi spec way. If you get it aligned that way and sensors are now misreading, either something is logically bent or worn and needs attention, or a sensor itself took a physical hit or was changed out and then needs alignment attention.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can someone give me some names, of good places for aligment. Based on previous experience.
Thank you.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 612 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowaudi
Can someone give me some names, of good places for aligment. Based on previous experience.
Thank you.
So honestly, that doesn't compute w/ available info so far. First, please fill in your location in your avatar. Right now, we don't even know if you are in North Beach, North Carolina, North Dallas or the North Pole. Sort of a necessary for any geographic based question, and often for car spec type stuff... More broadly, most shops are local in nature. Not too many would go to the chain guys for a higher end Euro vehicle.

In my case, I go to a local tire shop. The owner is the counter man. He has the computerized rack and balancing equipment, plus as the owner takes time with customers more. His stock in trade are Japanese and American typical of the San Jose, CA area, but the typical tools and machine training are the same as long as you don't get into the car electronics. He is fine mounting my TireRack supplied tires on many sets now of Audi factory wheels.

Thus, I would ask in your community/friends/coworkers. If you want to try the boards, post in your regional forum--if you are in a major metro area. Or better, search that forum for prior posts on it. On the D3 board we actually have a twice over W12 owner who has a tire shop, in Atlanta IIRC.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-08-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on the shop for mechanical part. I think most if not all goodyears can do them.