A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Night Vision option give it a try yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Anyone with Night Vision option give it a try yet?

Would love to hear observations on functionality and usefulness.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Vision Rocks

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Would love to hear observations on functionality and usefulness.
I took delivery of my A8 with the night vision option this past week, and after it got dark I went for a ride. I'm in the Palm Springs area and it get really dark here because there are not many street lights, particularly in my neighborhood.

About 2 blocks from home...BAM....the night vision picked up a jogger (dressed in black of all things) way before I came up on him. I love this option!

By the way, be sure to adjust your preferences in the MMI settings under "Driver Assist." You can adjust the sensitivity.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Modena430
I took delivery of my A8 with the night vision option this past week, and after it got dark I went for a ride. I'm in the Palm Springs area and it get really dark here because there are not many street lights, particularly in my neighborhood.

About 2 blocks from home...BAM....the night vision picked up a jogger (dressed in black of all things) way before I came up on him. I love this option!

By the way, be sure to adjust your preferences in the MMI settings under "Driver Assist." You can adjust the sensitivity.
Finally!!! ;^)) Thanks for the report. Yeah, I've been in your area, and boy, it sure does get pitch black at night. What level do you have the sensitivity set in the MMI? And please give us some details on your new D4---options, color combo, PICS!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Night Vision Assist

Finally!!! ;^)) Thanks for the report. Yeah, I've been in your area, and boy, it sure does get pitch black at night. What level do you have the sensitivity set in the MMI? And please give us some details on your new D4---options, color combo, PICS!!!
I have set it for maximum sensativety for now but I haven't had it out at night since I took delivery last Tuesday. One BIG caveat: when driving with the night vision assist on, it's very easy to get distracted with what is going on in front of you. Remember, it displays "hot" objects such as people and animals, as well as inanimate objects that are training heat. The headlights of oncoming vehicles don't show up particularly well. I found myself getting a little mesmerized with the screen and not paying attention to the road. Just be careful.

My A8L is polar white with nougat brown interior. I'm not a big fan of white cars but it's a safer color for night time, particularly where I live and drive: desert area with few street lights and on my occasional late-night drives back from Los Angeles on the freeway.

I was thinking of safety when I purchased this car, so in addition to night vision I included the Adaptive Cruise control and Lane Departure/Side Assist features.

I love this car
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Modena430
My A8L is polar white with nougat brown interior. I'm not a big fan of white cars but it's a safer color for night time, particularly where I live and drive: desert area with few street lights and on my occasional late-night drives back from Los Angeles on the freeway.

I was thinking of safety when I purchased this car, so in addition to night vision I included the Adaptive Cruise control and Lane Departure/Side Assist features.

I love this car
I'll bet it's quite striking in white; and a good color to help combat the desert heat. If you can, please post some pics of your car---I'll bet there are many who would love to see the D4 in Polar White.

Thanks again for the info on the Night Vision Assist...Good to hear that it can sense animals, since that's actually why I ordered it on my car---loads of deer around our weekend home.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where I have found this feature to be invaluable is during foggy or blowing snow conditions. You can pick up heat signatures of cars and pedestrians really well and can continue to drive with confidence in these situations when other drivers are all in the slow lane.

Very impressed with this system.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Night Vision Assist

I finally took my new A8 out on a day trip to Los Angeles. First off, the navigation system is far superior to the one in my old 2008 A8, mainly because of traffic updates. I no longer have to keep listening to traffic reports to see what lies ahead.

The night vision assist came in handy when I ran into some fairly heavy fog at 11 p.m. While I could see the road ahead fairly well, the night vision showed the cars in front of me and the curves in the road. I definitely felt a lot safer with it.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Using the heat sigs in fog, nice creative application there :^)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Using the heat sigs in fog, nice creative application there :^)
It really was nice. We don't get for as rule in the Los Angeles/Palm Springs area, but in my 45 years of driving experience I have been in fog and it's ugly. I feel a whole lot safer with this feature. Here in the Palm Springs area there aren't a lot of street lights and it's nice to have a little help on nights with new moons.