A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi connect - worth the $$??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm using US Mobile which uses the T-Mobile network. Starts at $4.70 per month after a $3.99 sim. No contract - you just go online ea month and pick the amount you want. Other monthly plans are available like $7.70 for 200MB and so on. I mainly use AC for online searches, gas prices, news, weather etc. I rarely use Google Earth I never use the wifi hotspot both of which are data hogs. I barely scratch the surface of the 100MB.
are you saying you can plug in any sim card with data and the Audi connect will work or?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by A8denver
are you saying you can plug in any sim card with data and the Audi connect will work or?

Thanks
Yes, this is my experience anyway with a 13'S8.

free google location web searches, news, weather etc.

I use a FREE freedom pop global sim 200mb and Audi connect works for free. I bought the car used 60 days ago and the supplied Audi SIM didn't work so I popped in a Global freedom pop SIM.

It has to be Global SIM for my 3G connection to work. Other sims did not work.

Ive been using Audi connect for free for the last 60 days.

Maybe I'm on some weird free trial but I don't think so.

Last edited by BTAudi; 10-03-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by A8denver

Thanks
No, it's not that simple. It depends on the year and model of your car (you should put that info in your sig) and even your location can make a difference as to what 3G sims will work. Different models/years support different carriers' sims (i.e. T-Mobile or AT&T or both) and not all direct or third party sims will work (even if they support the correct carrier). Later Audi models don't even support removable sim cards for Audi Connect services.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No, it's not that simple. It depends on the year and model of your car (you should put that info in your sig) and even your location can make a difference as to what 3G sims will work. Different models/years support different carriers' sims (i.e. T-Mobile or AT&T or both) and not all direct or third party sims will work (even if they support the correct carrier). Later Audi models don't even support removable sim cards for Audi Connect services.
Does anyone know the MY this changed? My '14 S6 connects online with my AT&T SIM no problem and I have no subscription to Audi Connect ... I can perform voice command "online destination" and search for any business by name and the online google search finds it. On the contrary, wife's '17 Q7 quit accepting online commands after the trial period and will not utilize a data SIM unless I pay for Audi Prime (or somesuch) to get access to the servers. So, this service was free, with owner supplied compatible SIM, for quite a few years (my '13 RS5 worked as well) then Audi changed the deal.

So, will a MY 2015 S8 accept my SIM or is this the MY it all changed? Appreciate any info! Thanks!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, after talking directly to Audi about all this a couple of years ago I don't think they even know what may work or may not work. My observation it is a complete goat rope at Audi as far as this system goes.

I use an AT&T SIM and it works fine even though Audi told me on multiple occasions it wouldn't work at all.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Personally, after talking directly to Audi about all this a couple of years ago I don't think they even know what may work or may not work. My observation it is a complete goat rope at Audi as far as this system goes.

I use an AT&T SIM and it works fine even though Audi told me on multiple occasions it wouldn't work at all.
Same here. I use an AT&T SIM tied to my Family Share plan. Audi steadfastly claimed that it would not work on AT&T and refused to activate an Audi Connect SIM on AT&T. I only get 3G data speeds but it's fine for my purposes.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
Same here. I use an AT&T SIM tied to my Family Share plan. Audi steadfastly claimed that it would not work on AT&T and refused to activate an Audi Connect SIM on AT&T. I only get 3G data speeds but it's fine for my purposes.
I had an authorized Audi Connect SIM with AT&T service, and I only ever got 3G in my 2017 A8. I think only the newer Audis get 4G LTE.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure when the A8 got the updated connectivity but my '16 A7 had 4G LTE and I know the A6 and lesser models did as well. 4G debuted on the 2015 A3, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

No 4G on a D4. When the diesel debacle came home to roost, Audi stretched the intro dates of various models. The D4 got stretched w/ no further updates. The C7 was also stretched but got a few more tweaks. Thus referred to as 7.5's. Those also have CarPlay and Auto, which aren't available factory either in a D4 on the lot now. D4's actually got stretched yet again after all this--hence no D5's here still way later than earlier thought--but nothing electronic was meaningfully updated.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-03-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spock1234
I had an authorized Audi Connect SIM with AT&T service, and I only ever got 3G in my 2017 A8. I think only the newer Audis get 4G LTE.
Thanks, all. Sounds like it will work as planned .. the C7.5 update apparently where it happened on that series and of course our '17 Q7 requires Audi Prime to work as well.

I don't mind 3G as all I use it for is online destination searching and 3G performance is fine for that.

Quick Reply: Audi connect - worth the $$??