A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S8 start up problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOG AUDI S8 - VCDS Scan
Attached Files
Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default AUDI S8 LOG

VCDS LOG
Attached Files
Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by kozlovee
VCDS LOG
Unfortunately it is two step and this scan has no obvious pointers. First you have to clear all codes if issue has not arisen since prior scan and clear. But then the issue needs to be re created or left to occur again.

In my experience/judgment, this car was very recently cleared, perhaps today just before the scan.
First, where the errors do show up (in unrelated modules), in general they have today's date.

More tellingly, readiness codes in the engine module show not ready for all but two tested elements. I am guessing the check engine light isn't on yet either, even if it often is for your car. Needs to show all "0"'s to be "ready" with the basic internal emissions systems tests having completed successfully. Yours says:
Address 01: Engine (------CGTA) Labels: None
Part No SW: 4H0 907 557 HW: 4H0 906 014
Component: 4.0l V8TFSI / H62 0010
Revision: NCH62---
Coding: 022A003A6546010A1800
Shop #: WSC 40868 002 1048576
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM40TFS0114H0907557 001012
ROD: EV_ECM40TFS_AU64.rod
VCID: 6DDB358EBC2F532938-8038

No fault code found.
Readiness: 1110 1101
FWIW, this is also the same evidence in a smog test when someone has just cleared codes--or a dishonest car seller trying to get rid of a check engine light. California is rigorous as an example, and require all 8 be at "ready" states. Some other U.S. states with smog tests let some go by.

See: Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Readiness Also see screen shot below with what each one is. Ignore where it says in that screen shot "no diagnostic yet" or "not available". It was an old document, and they are all enabled on any recent gas Audi. Net, you need to drive it a few cycles from cold to warm/hot to cold motor temp to see if codes reset or something goes wrong. Once it goes wrong, get scanned again.

If the ECU ends up coming back without codes (like it is now) but readiness codes have reset correctly, I would go back to the crankshaft position sensor I mentioned in an early reply. About the only thing I know that folks have confirmed can fail erratically and still leave no codes. It is a guess, but a lot less expensive and work than many others have been that dealer already tried. Fuel injection, fuel pumps, vacuum and other ignition issues should leave a trail of fault codes in general.
Attached Thumbnails Audi S8 start up problem !!!-screen-shot-2017-02-28-12.20.46-pm.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-28-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default NEW LOG

Hello ! i have just made a new VCDS Log , because in this morning the car start just fine , i have drove 20 km , after that i have turn of the engine , and after 1 hour , when i have tried to start the engine , it did not start until i have pressed the acceleration pedal ... I have attached the LOG VCDS , and also i video how exactly is happening.
Have o good day
Attached Files
Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Hello ! i have just made a new VCDS Log , because in this morning the car start just fine , i have drove 20 km , after that i have turn of the engine , and after 1 hour , when i have tried to start the engine , it did not start until i have pressed the acceleration pedal ... I have attached the LOG VCDS , and also i video how exactly is happening.
Have o good day
Sorry, I can't open the video with a Mac laptop. While I doubt it is critical for the starting issue, you can see the codes pointing at the exhaust flap. That may be causing the rich code in some way if the issue is on the same side of motor, but it is hard to be sure. The exhaust flap should be checked--whether just jammed, needs a spray of some penetrating oil, or other things. But it doesn't explain the not starting and being tied to having to move gas pedal. Not starting in that way raises questions about gas pedal itself, but there are no obvious relevant codes. Probably what the dealer has struggled with too.

Suggestion to diagnose further: get a can of starting spray (Ether). Try using that by spraying into both intake areas (both sides) when car is not starting with no gas pedal movement. Spray 1-2 seconds each side and then quickly try to start. Do not move pedal while trying it. If car starts after spraying it, it suggests problem is on the fuel side. If car does not start, it suggests problem is on the ignition side as far as remaining areas to consider.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Audi A6 2006 3.2L Quattro just had the Fuel filter and oil filter changed. Now she wont start when engine is warm/hot, and will DIE, like at a stop light. Could this be a Camshaft Speed Sensor issue?? Any help would be AWESOME!!! Thank you so much!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I had this issue on my former Porsche 911. Exact same symptoms.
I replaced the fuel pressure sensor and it was resolved.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Sorry, I can't open the video with a Mac laptop. While I doubt it is critical for the starting issue, you can see the codes pointing at the exhaust flap. That may be causing the rich code in some way if the issue is on the same side of motor, but it is hard to be sure. The exhaust flap should be checked--whether just jammed, needs a spray of some penetrating oil, or other things. But it doesn't explain the not starting and being tied to having to move gas pedal. Not starting in that way raises questions about gas pedal itself, but there are no obvious relevant codes. Probably what the dealer has struggled with too.

Suggestion to diagnose further: get a can of starting spray (Ether). Try using that by spraying into both intake areas (both sides) when car is not starting with no gas pedal movement. Spray 1-2 seconds each side and then quickly try to start. Do not move pedal while trying it. If car starts after spraying it, it suggests problem is on the fuel side. If car does not start, it suggests problem is on the ignition side as far as remaining areas to consider.
Hello everyone !! PROBLEM SOLVED
I just recheck the high pressure fuel pumps , and one of them was broken ... it was escaping pressure , i have changed it again , and the car runs great now !!

Thanks for help !!

Have o good day
The following users liked this post:
Luis Trevino (05-03-2021)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad it's solved!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello everyone !! PROBLEM SOLVED
I just recheck the high pressure fuel pumps , and one of them was broken ... it was escaping pressure , i have changed it again , and the car runs great now !!

Thanks for help !!

Have o good day

Has the fix been permanent? Can you help me with part numbers on which pump they replaced, I am having the same issue on 2013 S8 D4, I have no check engine codes, and hard/long starts when car has been run and parked for 20mins or more, cold starts are perfect. Help will be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Luis Trevino (05-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Audi S8 start up problem !!!